• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

markymark2000

On Moderation
Buying the machine is worthless. You then have to send it into Ticketer for them to reprogramme the machine for your organisatin, Also that is the old style machine which doesn't take contactless so your potential reach is very, very small. And you need power for it.

Waste of time. Youd need the handheld ones and it would need to not be Ticketer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I get doing it at major bus stations, but not at some bus stop which is busy but may only have a small shelter.

I assume by the busiest stops they probably mean the bus stations anyway, it's not like they have unlimited staff to go everywhere. Unless they're doing it at their stops in Manchester (where they are probably selling a lot more tickets at that end of the route because of the £2 scheme, instead of people going home on a day or return ticket purchased earlier)

Andyh82

Established Member

This is interesting, I personally think that there is a risk of people Impersonating real Transdev workers to get people's money. Surely it would be easier for Transdev to promote buying tickets through their app.
Very unlikely. First do similar at the Park & Ride at busy times

I know this thread is known for negative reactions to every possible thing, but I don’t think it’s valid in this case

Very unlikely. First do similar at the Park & Ride at busy times

I know this thread is known for negative reactions to every possible thing, but I don’t think it’s valid in this case
We (York) staff our P&R’s every day they operate, not just at busy times

andrewbowden

This is interesting, I personally think that there is a risk of people Impersonating real Transdev workers to get people's money. Surely it would be easier for Transdev to promote buying tickets through their app.
Stagecoach Cumbria certainty used to do this in summer not that long ago. Someone would be stood at main stops like Windermere station, selling tickets at the height of summer

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Stagecoach Cumbria certainty used to do this in summer not that long ago. Someone would be stood at main stops like Windermere station, selling tickets at the height of summer
Never seen them when I've been at Windermere in August 2021 and 2022.

Roilshead

Isn't there some reason why double deckers cant go to the airport? A 70 seat bus would be useful.
I read - round about the time the contract passed to Transdev - that the airport would not allow double-deckers on site, and that this had been the case when Yorkshire Tiger won the contract . . . no explanation was given, just that the airport authorities had prohibited double-deckers.

A few years back I have seen customer representatives in Leeds Bus Station selling tickets for the Coastliner. They were stood by the departure stand advising people, and selling some tickets.
There's invariably, Monday-Friday office hours anyway, a customer adviser by the Transdev 7/36/Coastliner stands in Leeds bus station - he has one of those airline in-flight trolleys - offering advice, controlling boarding, and selling tickets.

In passing, many First buses in Leeds have displays on the VDUs advising of the existence of First "Customer Advisors" . . . in all the years these have been displayed I have never come across one.

Last edited:

JD2168

Stagecoach Sheffield used to do this pre COVID at the Arundel Gate bus stops in the City Centre usually at the number 1 & 88 stop on Monday to Friday. A lady used to go round selling tickets just before the bus arrived.

WAB

In passing, many First buses in Leeds have displays on the VDUs advising of the existence of First "Customer Advisors" . . . in all the years these have been displayed I have never come across one.
The customer advisor pictured on the adverts is the only one I've ever seen. She was at the University of Leeds freshers fair when they park up a Streetdeck on the plaza outside the student union and hand out voucher codes for free tickets, LeedsCity tote bags, etc. Not seen her anywhere else.

The customer advisor pictured on the adverts is the only one I've ever seen. She was at the University of Leeds freshers fair when they park up a Streetdeck on the plaza outside the student union and hand out voucher codes for free tickets, LeedsCity tote bags, etc. Not seen her anywhere else.
Those people were agency staff hired in for freshers fairs only, not permanent FirstBus employees - same people worked York freshers (along with myself) and were doing Leeds the week after. Their only job was handing codes & freebies out/getting people signed up to mailing lists (if it’s who I think it is)

WAB

Those people were agency staff hired in for freshers fairs only, not permanent FirstBus employees - same people worked York freshers (along with myself) and were doing Leeds the week after. Their only job was handing codes & freebies out/getting people signed up to mailing lists (if it’s who I think it is)
Unlikely, given that this lady worse an advisor's uniform and appears on the onboard screens. She was supervising the agency staff. Just seems to be the one for the whole city though!

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev have sold tickets at the gates at Leeds bus station before.
Turns out the A2 had two Keighley Shuttles on it - 1810 being the other
Versa 275 became unserviceable yesterday morning which with 274 having not tracked since 16 Sep, 293 since 4 Nov, 215 since Tuesday and 292 since Thursday only 65% of Idles fleet appears to have been available.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Anything being discussed in this thread that isn't related to Transdev is off-topic. There are existing threads for various Stagecoach and First operating companies. If you think that a particular topic deserves its own thread, by all means feel free to start a new one.

philthetube

Established Member
I transdev want to speed up buses would it not be better just to put conductors on board.

philthetube

Established Member
It is not quite so clear cut; if you can reduce vehicle requirement this affects the economics. Also, conductors could act as jumpers, just riding out of Leeds to a fixed point then catching the next bus back.

No idea if either of these would be any use in this case but they would be worth looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Because you can employ two or three people at the main stops, or you can put a conductor on every bus.... do the maths ;)
Or promote using the Transdev app and for people who can't use the app or when the app isn't working can then buy a ticket from the driver.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It is not quite so clear cut; if you can reduce vehicle requirement this affects the economics. Also, conductors could act as jumpers, just riding out of Leeds to a fixed point then catching the next bus back.

No idea if either of these would be any use in this case but they would be worth looking at.
There is a reason why we don't have conductors. Take the 840/843 between Leeds and Seacroft. Even jumping back and forth, you'd need two staff. Alternatively, you can have one at Leeds bus station.

They have done the maths on whether conductors would be cost-effective and the economics don't stack up.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Conductors are possible- didn’t Stagecoach Dundee have them on one of their routes until very recently?

Practical on a crush loaded Versa though? Absolutely not. That’s definitely one for a bus-station based ticket seller. In this weather, definitely!

I wonder why the airport won’t allow the use of double deckers?

Andyh82

Established Member
Why are we now at the stage that when Transdev say they are going to deploy a few people off bus to sell tickets this must turn into a lengthy debate with some people adamant it’s a bad thing

I’m sure some people are programmed to have to react negatively to any action by a bus or train company

RT4038

Established Member
Why are we now at the stage that when Transdev say they are going to deploy a few people off bus to sell tickets this must turn into a lengthy debate with some people adamant it’s a bad thing

I’m sure some people are programmed to have to react negatively to any action by a bus or train company
I suspect it is an ingrained 'thing' in our psyche/culture for a number of reasons, inter alia -
(a) seen it all before and have an idea of which way it will go, and/or
(b) the implication that if something is successful that they had not thought of, then then must have been stupid or derelict in not having thought of it/put into practice first. Therefore they have skin in the game for it not be be successful and therefore vindicate them.

These two go with the other 'things' of
(c) because an idea is being tried somewhere, it is automatically a success and should be rolled out everywhere (or conversely, because it cannot/is not being done everywhere, it shouldn't be done anywhere)
(d) because something was done 50 years ago, possibly in another place and certainly in a different economic and social era, there is no reason why it can't be done again in today's conditions and at any other location/activity density.

(a) is understandable, but needs to be tempered with educating rather than emotion!

HarryL

Did anything ever come out of that tap on tap off thing they made a big deal about a few years ago? Looking back on it I saw them announce it then never saw or heard about it again as if it never existed.