• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Can you explain what the Q means please? RTT says 'runs as required' so I guess there's no guarantee the path will be used, but then as we've seen already, there's never any guarantee any 769 path will ever definitely be used

You've answered your own question Runs as required so the path is there just in case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anonymous10

Established Member
Can you explain what the Q means please? RTT says 'runs as required' so I guess there's no guarantee the path will be used, but then as we've seen already, there's never any guarantee any 769 path will ever definitely be used

I can't see how all 30 Pacers can go whilst we are still living with social distancing under Covid. I read in RAIL or MR (can't remember which) that 5 or 6 more EMR 153s have gone into warm storage. If there are more 153s going spare maybe TfW should take on those to send some Pacers to Newport Sims. TfW seem to have put the 153s they have to good use.
Honestly I don't think a non prm 153 is any better than a pacer just saying look pacer gone it's no better I'd take them tho to hook to 153 prm units so as to allow social distancing

Cardiff123

Established Member
Honestly I don't think a non prm 153 is any better than a pacer just saying look pacer gone it's no better I'd take them tho to hook to 153 prm units so as to allow social distancing
I was on a TfW 142 last week, and whilst it gets you from A to B, it was a pretty grim experience and I got the impression TfW have given up on keeping the Pacers in an acceptable condition now. The Pacers certainly don't give off the kind of messages about improving the service that TfW want to convey.

Anonymous10

Established Member
I was on a TfW 142 last week, and whilst it gets you from A to B, it was a pretty grim experience and I got the impression TfW have given up on keeping the Pacers in an acceptable condition now. The Pacers certainly don't give off the kind of messages about improving the service that TfW want to convey.
I understand that I had them all winter in West Wales I don't find them terrible personally but they do need to go but then a 153 is worse for social distancing imo

Dai Corner

Established Member
I can't see how all 30 Pacers can go whilst we are still living with social distancing under Covid. I read in RAIL or MR (can't remember which) that 5 or 6 more EMR 153s have gone into warm storage. If there are more 153s going spare maybe TfW should take on those to send some Pacers to Newport Sims. TfW seem to have put the 153s they have to good use.

The Welsh Government would have to decide between asking the DfT for another extension for the Pacers (which may or may not be granted) and declaring that it is safe to sit next to a stranger on a train after all.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Although not directly re 769 but discussion connected to it. The Thunderbird Loco at Rhymney changed over this afternoon, 37175 up to replace 37418

Bob Price

Today's double running hasn't happened as planned. 5Z92 cancelled at Cardiff. The early 5Z69 arrived at Rhymney on time however.

Bob Price

The paths are available if TFW need to use them
Yes I get that and understand how paths work. However this is the first time that paths to run two units at once has occurred. As it is 5Z72 is heading for Penarth and 5Z94 is at Pontllotyn. Doesn't mean they are both 769's but could be.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes I get that and understand how paths work. However this is the first time that paths to run two units at once has occurred. As it is 5Z72 is heading for Penarth and 5Z94 is at Pontllotyn. Doesn't mean they are both 769's but could be.

Two out this afternoon 769002 and 769003 for the first time, and appears one will stay at Rhymney tonight

Paul Dancey

769002 at Penarth this afternoon. First time I've seen or heard one in the flesh. So much nicer sounding than the sprinters and pacers we usually get. Looking forward to catching one when they come into service.

769 2.jpg769 4.jpg

008 is not out at the moment. Does that mean it may have finished it's testing and coming in to passenger use soon?

Bob Price

To be honest so far the runs today have been OK. Two on the go as I type. Don't want to jinx it but this is definite progress.

JN114

Established Member
To be honest so far the runs today have been OK. Two on the go as I type. Don't want to jinx it but this is definite progress.

As has been said in the past it’s just taking time for those that operate and maintain them to get used to the new systems - as old as the trains are there’s a lot of new kit on board. The increased availability and reliability is only proving right those who’ve said as such all along.

Had we not had Covid, or the exhaust re-certification delays we’d have been at this phase well over a year ago.

Caaardiff

Hiccups are inevitable the fact they got some out is good
At this stage of the program there should be regular, reliable testings going on and near the stage for train crew training. Currently there's regular, unreliable testings happening.

If we have only now reached a point where 'getting some out' is an acceptable stage, then it's not going to be a successful program.

Senna1210

At this stage of the program there should be regular, reliable testings going on and near the stage for train crew training. Currently there's regular, unreliable testings happening.

If we have only now reached a point where 'getting some out' is an acceptable stage, then it's not going to be a successful program.

And you are the Program manager? the project manager ? the Training manager ? or just a passer by?

Another four runs of driver training completed today by the 2 sets

One did not fail on depot on Tuesday BTW

next week we are back down to 1 running before someone freaks out lol

Bob Price

I have noticed the runs are listed as TfW services. The 230s testing on the Wrexham Bidston are run by ROG. Training rather than testing.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
769002 at Penarth this afternoon. First time I've seen or heard one in the flesh. So much nicer sounding than the sprinters and pacers we usually get. Looking forward to catching one when they come into service.

As a former TL commuter (Peckham-Farringdon), now living in Penarth, this is a very strange sight! How often do they get down to here? One of the advantages of the work from home regime is the opportunity to go for a casual local walk during the day! :D

Cardiff123

Established Member
As a former TL commuter (Peckham-Farringdon), now living in Penarth, this is a very strange sight! How often do they get down to here? One of the advantages of the work from home regime is the opportunity to go for a casual local walk during the day! :D

This is the path for testing/training runs to Penarth next week. The 769 is due in Penarth around 3pm, but there's no guarantee it will run to Penarth on any day, as it's a 'runs as required' path. Although it ran to Penarth on 3 days last week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.