• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales Class 231 / 756 FLIRTs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdamWW

Established Member
I don't know how many paths there were yesterday, but there was one that didn't seem to run (nothing on RTT, and no sign of the train itself when it should have been turning round at Central).

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Do we know when the last ones of these are expected to be delivered? I believe all up to 008 are delivered now, but happy to be corrected.

D6975

Established Member
Weirdly 001 still had all the seats wrapped in plastic whilst 006 had them all removed - you would expect it to be the other way round.
Historically that's not weird at all, the first built of a run has in the past often been late into service. This is because it's often the test guinea pig.

Cletus

Established Member
Ah, just saw the two units at Dollands Moor, couldn't think if they were 197's, 231's, etc.

Snow1964

Established Member
Stadler has confirmed that a couple of the new units for Wales will be at Innotrans in September

FLIRT (trimodal) vehicle for Transport for Wales, Great Britain
The British rail operator Transport for Wales ordered 35 FLIRT multiple units from Stadler in January 2019. Of these, 24 trains have a trimodal drive and can be operated fully electrically under overhead contact lines, electrically by battery, or in hybrid mode with a diesel drive. The diesel drive is only intended for exceptional use; regular operation should be entirely electric. The fleet of trimodal FLIRT vehicles consists of 7 three-car and 17 four-car trains. The vehicles comply with the latest TSI standards and have been designed specifically to meet the requirements of Transport for Wales and the local infrastructure. The low-floor design allows level access at every door, making it easier and faster for passengers to get on and off. The ergonomically designed seats increase passenger comfort and are all fitted with a power outlet. All trains are equipped with air conditioning, storage areas for wheelchairs, pushchairs and bicycles, as well as passenger information systems and Wi-Fi. The first trimodal FLIRT vehicles are currently completing test journeys and are scheduled to start passenger service before the end of the year.
FLIRT (trimodal) vehicle presentation
Track T08/50, 22 September 2022, 11.00 a.m
CITYLINK for Transport for Wales, Great Britain
In January 2019, Stadler was awarded a contract for the manufacture and delivery of 36 CITYLINK tram- trains for Transport for Wales. Stadler’s CITYLINK is a modular, accessible light rail system that connects city centres with the surrounding agglomerations without passengers having to change trains. It allows operation on electrified lines and on non-electrified lines using batteries. The vehicles are designed in such a way that they can be used on mainline railway lines as well as on metro and light rail lines. Thanks to the lithium-ion traction battery system, no expensive investments in infrastructure are necessary for the customer. The CITYLINK vehicle is 40 metres long and can transport 252 passengers. The high-floor vehicle has a driver’s stand on each side and can reach a speed of 100 kilometres per hour. The bright, air- conditioned passenger compartments also offer multifunctional zones with room for bicycles, seats for persons with reduced mobility and two spaces for wheelchairs. The CITYLINK vehicle enables passengers to travel safely and comfortably without having to change trains.
CITYLINK vehicle presentation
Track T10/70, 22 September 2022, 11.00 a.m

penguin8967

With the ongoing closure of the Newport to Gloucester line until September, 231s obviously can't run on it for the next 2 months or so. However, I've noticed that some paths have appeared (and ran) to Swindon in last few days - are they testing them on diversion routes or something?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
With the ongoing closure of the Newport to Gloucester line until September, 231s obviously can't run on it for the next 2 months or so. However, I've noticed that some paths have appeared (and ran) to Swindon in last few days - are they testing them on diversion routes or something?

I note the TOC for that working is given as ZZ; is that the same for the tests to Gloucester and Rhymney or are those shown as operated by TfW (AW)?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
All the Gloucester ones are shown as freight (ZZ) as well yes - they're operated by GBRf.
Thanks; does that mean TfW haven't accepted any yet then or would it still be GBRf operating test runs and TfW only for crew trainning?

timstours

Here is the proof

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I saw a pair of what I assume were 231s heading East from Cardiff Central at about 14:15 on 25/07/2022. I was in a car and caught a glimpse of them (I think just East of the overbridge to Queen Street so not heading North). I could not identify numbers. I assume testing or training ?.

Western 52

The_Train

Established Member
Can anyone confirm if 231001 and 231003 have arrived at Canton please?
And if so, when this happened?

Thanks

3973EXL

Established Member

Energy

Established Member
That's 10 out of the 11 units then. Since they have been delivered in pairs so far, I wonder if 231011 will arrive with a 756 in the consist.
There are 24 756s so there will need to be a single 756 or 231. If the 756s are following the 231s I wouldn't be suprised if there was a 231 + 756 delivery.

Bob Price

Running on time, due in Canton at 10.15. I guess it won't be long before number 11 arrives seeing as these two have been sitting in Ripple Lane for a while.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
That's 10 out of the 11 units then. Since they have been delivered in pairs so far, I wonder if 231011 will arrive with a 756 in the consist.
They have been testing (fault free running I gather) in pairs. 231001 & 231006 together end of last week, 231003 & 231005 together early this week.

For anyone who wants to know I have seen four (the above pairs) at Canton from a passing train from Ninian Park to Cardiff Central. I have seen from the North side (where the footbridge used to be ?) 231008 and another (so 002, 004 or 007). There must be a pair lurking somewhere and now 009 & 010 to find in Cardiff.

St. Paddy

I believe 011 and a 756 are due to be displayed at Innotrans in Berlin, 20-23 September so wouldn’t expect to see it until after that

The_Train

Established Member
Have 007 & 008 made it to Canton and if so when did the transfer from Ripple Lane take place for these?