• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelled whole of an operators network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffman82

I am currently one line off (New Street - Hereford) completely travelling over the whole of London Midland network.

I was wondering if any people on the forums have completely travelled over other operators networks ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I am currently one line off (New Street - Hereford) completely travelling over the whole of London Midland network.

I was wondering if any people on the forums have completely travelled over other operators networks ?

Virgin Trains is probably the only one I have, but I am close on a fair few:
Northern (Whitby branch only)
c2c (Southend East-Shoeburyness only)

Can I say Hull Trains and WSMR, as I have finished their network, but on other operators (EC and VT respectively)?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
How can you have finished WSMR on VT?

Indeed, sorry, moment of madness, I meant CR (Chiltern): I've done WSMR from Wrexham Gnl-Leamington Spa only, but Leamington Spa-Marylebone on CR only...

TheBigD

Established Member
There's a few of us that have done the whole passenger network!!!

Mr Spock

The nearest I have done is LM as well, just need Barnt Green to Redditch and Lapwortrh to Claverdon (via Hatton Nth Jct to Hatton West Jct).

Hydro

Established Member
Reckon I'll come back to this thread in about 5 years, I think I'd have completed every inch of Network Rail controlled infrastructure.

asylumxl

Established Member
I haven't travelled on any singlee operators entire network. The closest is probably FCC and will soon finish that.

Atleast if I haven't, I'll always have somewhere new to visit :).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Almost the whole of South Easern (I presume we're not including the freight only branches in the same area). I've never managed the bit between Faversham and Margate for some reason though.

duffman82

I'm currently attempting to completely polish off arriva trains wales network as i only have the valley lines and heart of wales lines left to do.

Is it possible to do all the Valley Lines in a day ?

Aictos

Established Member
I've done quite a lot myself, pretty much finished with Scotrail and Great Western and have done the entire FCC network except the SE lines of course.

And I've done all three OACs as well :)

4SRKT

Established Member
I've finished the following:

Northern Rail
First TransPennine
Merseyrail
East Coast
Cross Country
East Midland Trains
Virgin Trains
Grand Central
Wrexham & Shropshire
Hull Trains (never been on one of their services tho)
Chiltern Trains
First Capital Connect
First Great Western
Island Line
Northern Ireland Railways

Very close to finishing London Midland (only Walsall > Rugeley outstanding). For ATW I only require things that have reopened since 1985 (Aberdare, Maesteg, Ebbw Vale and Bridgend > Barry).

Admittedly I've been at this for years and had privs when I was a teenager.

Is it possible to do all the Valley Lines in a day ?

Yes. I did it in 1985, and got back to York afterwards. There were 5 fewer lines then (see above, plus Cardiff > Radyr via Ninian Park), but also only hourly services on most lines, formed of lumbering 116s that were slower than today's trains on the gradients. Should be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

lemonic

I've almost travelled the whole NXEA network, the only exception being Thorpe-le-Soken to Walton-on-the-Naze (and Ely-Kings Lynn if that counts).

4SRKT

Established Member
WSMR and Merseyrail. With some decent planning Merseyrail can easily be done in a day, all for the price of a Saveaway - about a fiver.

It can be done in an afternoon. Off Chester at 14:30 and then Hooton > Ellesmere Port > Hamilton Square > New Brighton > Birkenhead North > West Kirby > Moorfields > Ormskirk > Kirkdale > Kirkby > Sandhills > Southport > Hunts Cross > Moorfields and back at Chester at 22:26.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
c2c is the only one I've completed, although that's easily the quickest of any network to complete.
Just the Crystal Palace branch of London Overground to do there.
A couple of short gaps (Newhaven/Seaford & Littlehampton branches, Dorking-Horsham) to fill in on Southern)
And a few gaps (all short, apart from Norwich-Ely) in NXEA.
Not even close to completing any of the others...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Excluding freight track and some preserved lines, the only bits in the UK that I haven't been over are:

The Kyle of Lochalsh line.

Anything west of Shrewsbury via Welshpool.

The whole of Northern Ireland.

Thingley Jct to Trowbridge.

Whitland to Pembroke Dock.*

Barry - Bridgend.

Drotwich Spa - Stourbridge Jct.

Hatton - Stratford on Avon.

Tyseley - Stratford on Avon.

Ely - Kennett.

Whitlingham Jct - Sheringham.

Worksop - Radford Jct.

Netherfield Jct - Newark Crossing East Jct.

Four awkward bits near Leeds that will probably require staying in the area.

Middlesborough - Whitby.

The Larkhall branch.

And available soon... Drumgelloch to Bathgate.

*Attempted three times; each time scuppered by a minor delay to the early Paddington - Swansea and the connection not being held. Will probably have to overnight in Swansea sometime in order to get this one done!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Island Line Trains, although a sub-division of SWT, they still own stations etc!

route101

Established Member
Im not that;) far off completing Scotrails .Gonna bore yous.
Not Done.
The Kyle Line
The Far North Line from Thurso to Wick ( Gonna have to go the way up again:roll:
Fort William to Mallaig .
Crianlarich to Oban.
Greenock to Gourock
Brunstane to Newcraighall
Ladybank to Perth.
Stirling to Alloa
Duke st to Springburn
Whitecraigs to Neilston
Edinburgh to Bathgate
Dunfirmline Town to Glenrothes .

me123

Established Member
I've not done the Fife Circle, Newcraighall, Ladybank-Perth, WHL, anything North of Inverness, South of Ayr or South of Kilmarnock. Quite a bit to do and not all that much incentive for some of them to be honest.

I've also not done Edinburgh-Bathgate; I think I'll wait a few weeks until I have a direct train rather than going to Edinburgh to come half way back home!

Bittern

Established Member
I've not done the Fife Circle, Newcraighall, Ladybank-Perth, WHL, anything North of Inverness, South of Ayr or South of Kilmarnock. Quite a bit to do and not all that much incentive for some of them to be honest.

I've also not done Edinburgh-Bathgate; I think I'll wait a few weeks until I have a direct train rather than going to Edinburgh to come half way back home!

With the addition of Ardrossan SB - Largs and Gilmour Street - gourock and Wemyss Bay, this is pretty much what I've not done too. Although I'm considering doing the WHL from Queen Street - Fort William next year, and maybe even staying overnight in FW to do The Jacobite!

Last edited:

Established Member
There's a few of us that have done the whole passenger network!!!
Nearly in my case, only need Airdrie to Bathgate, Maryhill to Anniesland and Dalston Jn to Whitechapel though have previously covered the line to Broad Street and Whitechapel to Shoreditch.

Really ought to get round to doing these, especially the bit in London :oops:

wintonian

Established Member
Yes Island Line Trains. :lol:

Otherwise most of Crosscountry but mostly on other peoples trains.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I've covered all of the former Thameslink (including diversionaries) and MML routes (including the curve south of Dore, on rio services). But on the current franchise map the closest to completion are:

FCC - Hertford loop left
VT - Crewe-Liverpool left
c2c - Barking-Greys-Pitsea left
EC - Doncaster to Edinburgh left

Status
Not open for further replies.