• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip on Chiltern 68s

Status
Not open for further replies.

high camera

My train from Euston to Crewe was cancelled in today’s chaos.

Tickets thankfully accepted by Chiltern and I now find myself in the armchair comfort of a Mk4 coach behind a thundering class 68 (what a sound)

What an absolute treat and worlds apart from my usual 350 cattle truck !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation

Tickets thankfully accepted by Chiltern and I now find myself in the armchair comfort of a Mk4 coach behind a thundering class 68 (what a sound)

If you were in a Mark 4, you weren't on Chiltern!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking here.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Mk 3 coach of course, a much better way to travel than some dull unit.

high camera

I’m not asking anything, it’s a comment on how nice Chiltern mk4 are accompanied by the sound of a 68 !

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How would that have helped with wires down at Euston, then a fatality at Watford?
Did the OP say that was the case? I certainly didn't see that he did, so there's no reason why I should have known that.

I used to take the Crewe TV service, and that was often cancelled through fault of London Northwestern (driver shortage or slow lines blocked or something), which would lead Virgin Trains to let me on.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Did the OP say that was the case? I certainly didn't see that he did, so there's no reason why I should have known that.

I used to take the Crewe TV service, and that was often cancelled through fault of London Northwestern (driver shortage or slow lines blocked or something), which would lead Virgin Trains to let me on.

'Today's chaos' was the OP's quote, not sure what you thought he was referring to? I believe Euston was effectively closed for a while and then reopened with only very limited services running

high camera

I saw multiple cancellations and delay warnings on all Euston trains on real times so I never stepped foot in the place , I went straight to Marylebone instead expecting to purchase a new ticket but it wasn’t required, only issue now is a dash from Moor st over to New st at Birmingham !

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I saw multiple cancellations and delay warnings on all Euston trains on real times so I never stepped foot in the place , I went straight to Marylebone instead expecting to purchase a new ticket but it wasn’t required, only issue now is a dash from Moor st over to New st at Birmingham !
Not an issue in terms of distance, what is an issue is one can't manage to pass under that covered section without being heckled by about five beggars.

xotGD

Established Member

Good to hear that you enjoyed your journey on a proper train.

Comfort and thrash. What's not to like?

Remarkably, there are some who prefer to travel about on plastic.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not an issue in terms of distance, what is an issue is one can't manage to pass under that covered section without being heckled by about five beggars.

Really? I almost never have that problem. I do have the advantage of moving quickly though. If I see more than one begger, that's an unusual situation in my experience.

Hopefully the OP made their connection OK :) It's a relatively easy connection, although I do have to say I prefer the walk from Snow Hill to New Street. That one, in my experience is only about 2 minutes longer, it having the benefit of going past shops etc which can be useful.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Between Moor Street and New Street, I usually walk through the Bull Ring Shopping Centre. It seems like a straight walk and much better than going through the tunnel.

Between New Street and Snow Hill I get the tram from Grand Central to Bull Street (uphill). In the opposite direction I usually change from train to tram at Jewellery Quarter.

They never did the breakthrough between the St Chads tram stop and the Snow Hill back entrance that they promised four years ago.

(OK I will admit that I have a West Midlands Senior Bus Pass which gives me free tram rides)

Status
Not open for further replies.