• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Coast-to-coast services in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Mods: feel free to shift elsewhere

There haven’t been many petty geographical arguments on the forum recently, so I thought I would start a thread that will create them.

Today it was announced that TPE are considering through Cleethorpes to Liverpool services in the future. This would be a coast-to-coast service. Are there any examples of current coast-to-coast services?

When it comes to the question of ’which places are on the coast?’ you have the thorny problem of tidal river estuaries. Sometimes the tide goes inland for miles, so I would arbitrarily propose that a place on a river lower than the last bridging point could be considered coastal. So Avonmouth is coastal, Bristol isn’t; Hull is coastal but Goole isn’t. London isn’t. No doubt everybody will forget this after five or so posts.

The other problem is that it is hard to define where one coast starts and another ends. The original is clearly fine. On the other hand, Bridlington to Scarborough is on the same coast and not what I had in mind.

Looking forward to your answers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestRiding

Cross Country and their Plymouth to Berwick services (ultimately Edinburgh)?

Bugger, didn't see the Plymouth to Aberdeen suggestion above.

route101

Established Member
Ayr to North Berwick, don't think that still runs though.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There’s Fishguard Harbour to Cardiff (St George’s Channel -> Bristol Channel).

You’ve also got Liverpool to Blackpool North (Mersey -> Irish Sea).

Failed Unit

Established Member
Back in Central Trains days you had a couple.

Aberystwyth - Skegness
Pwllheli - Cleethorpes
they died with CT

Back in BR I am sure Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft was possible to Blackpool. Harwich - Liverpool definitely ran

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Aberystwyth - Skegness
Pwllheli - Cleethorpes
they died with CT

Back in BR I am sure Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft was possible to Blackpool. Harwich - Liverpool definitely ran

And the famous Yarmouth to Barmouth

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Are we including Lancaster, based on its proximity to both the Lune & Morecambe Bay? If so, you’ve got the Barrow/Whitehaven etc services.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Why does Liverpool count but not Bristol?

You can cross the Mersey downstream of Lime Street by the Kingsway Tunnel, just as you can cross the Avon by several bridges downstream of Temple Meads. Avonmouth and its station are in the City of Bristol.

A Challenge

Established Member
This isn't running due to COVID, but I think there used to be Bournemouth (maybe only Southampton Central) to Edinburgh with CrossCountry

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Why does Liverpool count but not Bristol?
Well, I never paid attention in Geography class so have no idea what a bridging point is (unless it’s a bridge ;) ) - but I do know that Liverpool docks are not too far off water level & that the Kingsway Tunnel goes under the water. Good question though - I’d always considered Bristol as fairly coastal.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here is a similar thread from a few years back which may give some examples ;)

Dai Corner

Established Member
Well, I never paid attention in Geography class so have no idea what a bridging point is (unless it’s a bridge ;) ) - but I do know that Liverpool docks are not too far off water level & that the Kingsway Tunnel goes under the water. Good question though - I’d always considered Bristol as fairly coastal.
I did pay attention in Geography lessons and I think the usual term is 'crossing point' meaning any fixed crossing. Let's not argue over the Mersey Ferry!

Not many people realise a big chunk of the Severn Estuary is in Bristol, having being included in its city charter by Edward 3rd in 1373.

King Lazy

Without putting too much thought in and no doubt breaching the criteria.

Lancaster to Edinburgh. Runs generally South to North but from West to East coast. (The Lune is tidal under the railway bridge at Lancaster which is the last bridging point)

Glasgow to Plymouth? Glasgow probably doesn’t meet the criteria due to the Erskine bridge further down the Clyde but this would link West, East, West again at Bristol and South Coasts.

Dumfries to Newcastle. Again, Dumfries is inland and Newcastle not quite coastal but you certainly see the sea on the west coast on the journey then go what most would deem across the entire country.

In times past there was a Sunderland to Whitehaven.

mailbyrail

Liverpool-Hamilton Square - West Kirby across Wirral from East shore on Mersey to West on Dee

Bevan Price

Established Member
Nobody seems to have mentioned Liverpool - Scarborough.

And quite a lot have disappeared, (some were Summer Saturdays only) e.g.
Liverpool - Great Yarmouth
Dundee - Blackpool
Hull - Holyhead (Trans Pennine, BR era)
Cleethorpes - Bournemouth.
Redcar or Saltburn - Blackpool.

Flange Squeal

Established Member

Aberystwyth - Skegness
Pwllheli - Cleethorpes
they died with CT

If former ones are of interest too, then the late 90s/early 00s Virgin Cross Country network provided a Portsmouth Harbour to Blackpool North on a mix of 2 car 158, 47 or HST haulage.

Last edited:

Greetlander

Loco-hauled Transpennine from Scarborough to Bangor. Never did the whole thing, but went to either extreme from Huddersfield. I realise it's not current but it is in my head :)

Status
Not open for further replies.