• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - journey which requires the most changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

willgreen

Which journey from one British station to another requires the most changes?
A few rules - firstly, the route needs to be as short as possible. You shouldn't go from Manchester to Euston with a change at Birmingham New Street, for example - since a direct Manchester-Euston service exists, this is irrational.
There must be at least a daily service to the station. Denton etc. are not included. (Which also means summer only services are not valid. Sorry!)
Don't take into account timings. I'm sure there are plenty of journeys which cannot be completed within a day (a topic for another thread perhaps?) but this should be ignored - it's the changes required that are the subject of this thread, not the theoretical possibility.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Shanklin - Ryde Pier Head - Portsmouth Harbour - Basingstoke - Crewe - Inverness - Thurso would be six also be five (apparently I can't count), though the ferry means this probably doesn't count (and there may be a more efficient route).

joncombe

What type of train is allowed? I mean many cross-London journeys will require the use of the tube (and often multiple e.g. to change from Waterloo to Kings Cross). So would a change between Waterloo be two trains (two tube trains). Meaning any journey into Waterloo and out of Kings Cross would automatically be 4 even if the service was direct into Waterloo and out of Kings Cross. If you factor in routes you'd have to make (at least) one change then the numbers would quickly rise

willgreen

Sadly I'm pretty sure I counted wrongly (it is six services, not six changes), but would still tie with your initial suggestion.
Think you were right first time, that's seven services! (Edit: no it isn't. Oops)

What type of train is allowed? I mean many cross-London journeys will require the use of the tube (and often multiple e.g. to change from Waterloo to Kings Cross). So would a change between Waterloo be two trains (two tube trains). Meaning any journey into Waterloo and out of Kings Cross would automatically be 4 even if the service was direct into Waterloo and out of Kings Cross. If you factor in routes you'd have to make (at least) one change then the numbers would quickly rise
The tube counts as one change, no matter how many tube journeys you actually take (not a perfect solution but otherwise as you say the numbers of changes will become dominated by tube or similar journeys).

MarlowDonkey

St Ives - St Erth Change
St Erth -Bristol Change
Bristol - Crewe Change
Crewe - Inverness Change
Inverness - Thurso

So my five may only be 4 changes

The Marlow branch at peak hours can be good for that.

So
St Ives - St Erth Change
St Erth -Bristol/Exeter Change
Bristol/Exeter - Reading Change
Reading - Maidenhead Change
Maidenhead - Bourne End Change
Bourne End - Marlow

At some times of day, there may be through trains from St Erth to Reading.

backontrack

Established Member
Shanklin - Ryde Pier Head - Portsmouth Harbour - Basingstoke - Crewe - Inverness - Thurso would be six also be five (apparently I can't count), though the ferry means this probably doesn't count (and there may be a more efficient route).
Fantastic - love it. Good suggestion.

In that spirit, here's a geographically shorter one:

Ryde Esplanade to Ryde Pier Head
Ryde Pier Head to Portsmouth Harbour
Portsmouth Harbour to Southampton Central
Southampton Central to Leamington Spa
Leamington Spa to Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
In that spirit, here's a geographically shorter one:

Ryde Esplanade to Ryde Pier Head
Ryde Pier Head to Portsmouth Harbour
Portsmouth Harbour to Basingstoke
Basingstoke to Leamington Spa
Leamington Spa to Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town

And a much quicker one too - it can apparently be done in under six hours (with the change at Southampton Central not Basingstoke - leaving Ryde at 1340 and getting to Stourbridge at 1938).

backontrack

Established Member
And a much quicker one too - it can apparently be done in under six hours (with the change at Southampton Central not Basingstoke - leaving Ryde at 1340 and getting to Stourbridge at 1938).
Thanks for checking this :) Good spot about Southampton, I've updated my post to add that.

Can we go below five hours on another route? I'm trying to think of more shuttle services like at Stourbridge.

Last edited:

aliceh

I can go one better (and this is the most efficient route the journey planner came up with):
Shanklin - Ryde Pier Head - Portsmouth Harbour - London Waterloo - London Euston - Liverpool Lime Street - Bidston - Neston

That's six changes if ferry and tube is taken into account

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I can go one better (and this is the most efficient route the journey planner came up with):
Shanklin - Ryde Pier Head - Portsmouth Harbour - London Waterloo - London Euston - Liverpool Lime Street - Bidston - Neston

That's six changes if ferry and tube is taken into account

Sadly, I think you can knock one of those changes off, by using the daily Euston - Wrexham General service then changing onto a train for Neston there. But it's still a good shout.

backontrack

Established Member
Ryde Esplanade - Ryde Pier Head - Portsmouth Harbour - London Waterloo - Oxford Circus - London King's Cross - Doncaster - Habrough - Ulceby

Eight changes. (Yes, there's a direct Southampton-Doncaster service, but this is the quickest way; I've checked.)

willgreen

Ryde Esplanade - Ryde Pier Head - Portsmouth Harbour - London Waterloo - Oxford Circus - London King's Cross - Doncaster - Habrough - Ulceby

Eight changes. (Yes, there's a direct Southampton-Doncaster service, but this is the quickest way; I've checked.)
I'm afraid it's not about speed - changes are what we're looking for - and the Waterloo - King's Cross counts as one change.

backontrack

Established Member
I'm afraid it's not about speed - changes are what we're looking for - and the Waterloo - King's Cross counts as one change.

Hmm. Would this work?

Stranraer - Kilmarnock - Carlisle - London Euston - London Waterloo - Portsmouth Harbour - Ryde Pier Head - Shanklin

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
I think we need another thread for most changes offered for a journey planner, without forcing any.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Hmm. Would this work?

Stranraer - Kilmarnock - Carlisle - London Euston - London Waterloo - Portsmouth Harbour - Ryde Pier Head - Shanklin

EDIT: Never mind. Kilmarnock-Newcastle direct, then Newcastle to Southampton and then to Portsmouth, loses the extra change.

That service seems to be split in the timetable now - so that could still be a goer.

Edit: But since the service runs through to Glasgow Central from Stranraer, there are various options involving fewer changes, such as Stranraer - Glasgow Central - Newcastle - Southampton - Portsmouth)

BayPaul

Established Member
I'm trying to think of a good combination involving Cardiff Bay (as it's 2 changes just to get to the main line), but keep coming up with 5 changes, eg to Stourbridge, Thurso or a branch the other side of London

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It was running on Saturday, I got it from Glasgow Central.

So it is - that's bizzare. There's only one service which still does the full route, only goes one way, and is on a Saturday evening.

One point of clarificaton - does this rule only apply to stations?
There must be at least a daily service to the station. Denton etc. are not included. (Which also means summer only services are not valid. Sorry!)
If it also applies to routes, then you could argue that it isn't valid.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's instructive to check the number of changes required for a GB journey compared to a trip from the People's Republic of Dundee to the People's Republic of China. A minimum of three changes required.

Cardiff Bay - Cardiff Queen Street
Cardiff Queen St - Cardiff Central
Cardiff Central - Crewe
Crewe - Glasgow Central
Glasgow Central - Glasgow Queen St
GQS - Inverness
Inverness - Thurso

Veteran Member
The Marlow branch at peak hours can be good for that.

So
St Ives - St Erth Change
St Erth -Bristol/Exeter Change
Bristol/Exeter - Reading Change
Reading - Maidenhead Change
Maidenhead - Bourne End Change
Bourne End - Marlow

At some times of day, there may be through trains from St Erth to Reading.
This only requires two changes - the OP's word - as Bristol/Exeter and Bourne End are optional.

I think the maximum you can get is six: Shanklin to Mallaig.
Changes at Ryde, Portsmouth, Waterloo, Euston, Glasgow C, Dalmuir; via Portsmouth-Bristol-Edinburgh that reduces to 5, but that is not as short as possible (OP again).

Cardiff Bay - Cardiff Queen Street
Cardiff Queen St - Cardiff Central
Cardiff Central - Crewe
Crewe - Glasgow Central
Glasgow Central - Glasgow Queen St
GQS - Inverness
Inverness - Thurso
But Crewe-Inverness can be done on the sleeper direct, so only 4.
Cardiff Bay-Mallaig would be 5.

Sadly, I think you can knock one of those changes off, by using the daily Euston - Wrexham General service then changing onto a train for Neston there. But it's still a good shout.
Or by going Ryde-Portsmouth-Southampton-Birmingham-Wrexham-Neston.

Status
Not open for further replies.