• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Proportion of electric passenger trains at electrified stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Hazel Grove station is electrified - but of the 8 passenger services that either pass or call here in a typical hour, only two (the terminator from Blackpool, and the return towards Blackpool) are actually electric. The other six (Buxton, Nottingham and Cleethorpes, in each direction) are diesel. This means that only 25% of passenger services at this station are electric.

The highest proportion will obviously be 100%. But is there a 0% anywhere (i.e. a station which is electrified, but no electric passenger trains pass or call in the normal timetable)? What is the highest proportion which is still less than 100%, or the smallest proportion greater than zero?

A station counts as electrified if most services depart from electrified platforms. A platform counts as electrified if it is fitted with either overhead wires, a third rail, or both. Bi-mode units count as whatever fuel they are usually using at the relevant point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thirsk might be on your list as the vast majority of calls are from diesels to/from Middlesbrough or Sunderland with only one or two calls a day by Newcastle services (which are 802 bi modes).
Also Cramlington gets 1x TPE 802 a day, the rest being Northern DMUs.

As for stations at 0% there is at least 9 I can think off which are under wires but only served by diesels:
(West Allerton, Mossley Hill, Newcraighall, Brunstane, Manors, Pegswood, Widdrington, Chathill & Acklington)

Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
Other than the Night Rivera are there any regularly scheduled diesel services out of Paddington anymore? If not it must have a pretty extreme ratio.

Prior to the north west electrification programme there were very few electric passenger services through the Castelfield Corridor. I think at one stage the only electric passenger trains may have been the football specials (there were also electric freight trains to/from trafford park).

DanNCL

Established Member
Thirsk might be on your list as the vast majority of calls are from diesels to/from Middlesbrough or Sunderland with only one or two calls a day by Newcastle services (which are 802 bi modes).
Two 802s call at Thirsk on weekdays, both northbound services. From the May timetable change there'll additionally be a single southbound 802. In the (non strike) Sunday timetable there's an 802 each way, but they run on diesel mode on that part of the ECML on Sundays.

Other than the Night Rivera are there any regularly scheduled diesel services out of Paddington anymore? If not it must have a pretty extreme ratio.
An early morning Reading - Paddington, early Paddington - Greenford, late evening Greenford - Paddington, and a late evening Oxford - Paddington round trip (the return portion also conveying the Greenford shuttle unit) are booked to use 165s, but apart from that and the Night Riviera everything at Paddington is now electric.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Only 50% of the services calling at Outwood, Sandal & Agbrigg, and Fitzwilliam are electric- these being the Leeds to Doncaster stoppers. The Sheffields are diesel of course.
In terms of passing services, the hourly XC will be diesel but all LNER services will be electric or bi-mode (running on electric at that point, I assume). The late/early EMR services which surprisingly still run will be diesel, as will be any GC services that run via Hare Park. Outwood has an additional Northern passing service in the Leeds-Westgate-Kirkgate-Knottingley.

Ken H

On Moderation
Euston used to be 100% electric in loco hauled days. Anything going off the electrified railway would change loco. Then the odd HST crept in and later Voyagers.
When was the last diesel train in Fenchurch Street?

How about carnforth? Got an electric railway but 100% diesel. The down platform is wired.

Trent valley locals used to be EMU. Then they diverted them to Coventry so they went DMU. So Atherstone and Polesworth were electrified but diesel served. But i think the last up and first down went to/started from Rugby and were EMU. The EMU stabled in a bay overnight i think

For quite a few years Leyland was 0% electric,though not in the early years of the West Coast electrification. Since the Blackpool, Manchester and Liverpool electrifications it has been 100%.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Manchester Victoria only gets an hourly 802 (electric to/from Liverpool) and the Blackpool stopper.
Most of the Airport trains (TPE) are diesel (185 or 68/Mk5).
There's a Liverpool electric stopper in the peak.
P1/2 (east-facing) see no electric trains normally.
Should improve when Stalybridge is wired.

Kite159

Veteran Member
For quite a few years Leyland was 0% electric,though not in the early years of the West Coast electrification. Since the Blackpool, Manchester and Liverpool electrifications it has been 100%.

Same for Newton-Le-Willows, although that does get diesels calling in the shape of the Northern Leeds - Chester & TfW Manchester - Chester.

Same for South Tottenham & Woodgrange Park on the Gospel Oak - Barking line, were under wires but the only passenger services were diesels. Since the rest of the line got wired up it's been 100% electric.

A S Leib

I think the only completely diesel services Euston, Watford Junction, Milton Keynes Central and Rugby get are the Shrewsbury and Chester / Holyhead services.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But is there a 0% anywhere (i.e. a station which is electrified, but no electric passenger trains pass or call in the normal timetable)?

This thread from a couple of years ago may give some answers (although it was limited to non electric services that call only)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Salford Central must be high on the list of diesel services under wires?

Especially as the previously hourly Victoria - Preston stopper has been axed (nor sure if it only runs at peak times?)

Only other electrics it might see are 769s from Southport to either Victoria or Stalybridge and those can be quite infrequent.

Likewise the percentage of electrics calling at Clifton - Moses Gates must be quite low but as a percentage Salford Central must be higher in that area.

Nymanic

Carnforth's existing platforms are electrified, unlike anything beyond the station en route to Barrow. For that reason, it sees no electric services at all.

Ken H

On Moderation
Carnforth's existing platforms are electrified, unlike anything beyond the station en route to Barrow. For that reason, it sees no electric services at all.
The down is. The up isnt. No idea last time an electric train used the up.

willgreen

Darlington must be about 50%? Though IIRC the bay platforms aren't wired, which might exclude the station as a whole from the OP's criteria.

Grecian 1998

Whilst possibly not beating Paddington, several major stations in the SE have a tiny proportion of diesel services amongst a swarm of electric services:

Brighton - 3 or so daily trains to Great Malvern, to become 0 next month
Gatwick Airport - 1tph to Reading
London Bridge - 1tph to Uckfield
Clapham Junction - 1 tph to Exeter, 1 tph to Salisbury

Obviously that's reciprocated in the other direction.

Clapham Junction might well win in terms of trains passing through, but not stopping services.

From 1967-88 the Bournemouth electrification extended through Branksome to reach Bournemouth West depot, but nothing electric stopped at Branksome as far as I know - just the then hourly diesel service to Weymouth. This also meant electric trains passed through Dorset from 1967-74 without a single one stopping there, until Bournemouth was moved into Dorset.

From 2009 for a few years the weekday service on the Lymington branch was run by a 158, with a 450 working the line at weekends. That changed some time ago though.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Prior to the north west electrification programme there were very few electric passenger services through the Castelfield Corridor. I think at one stage the only electric passenger trains may have been the football specials (there were also electric freight trains to/from trafford park).
I definitely remember at one point there being a Stoke-on-Trent stopper, perhaps only once per day, that started from Deansgate (usually they start from Piccadilly main shed). There has also been the odd Styal line train extended through to Oxford Road.

Peter0124

Established Member
How about Peterborough? Though only about 30-40% of its services per hour are diesel but still reasonable for this thread I suppose, aka the XC and EMR services there.

Ken H

On Moderation
I definitely remember at one point there being a Stoke-on-Trent stopper, perhaps only once per day, that started from Deansgate (usually they start from Piccadilly main shed). There has also been the odd Styal line train extended through to Oxford Road.
Back in the 70's piccadilly - Deansgate was almost 100% electric. Crewe/alderley edge - Altringcham cl 304's. Some stuff started at Oxford road to go west.

Magdalia

Established Member
What is the highest proportion which is still less than 100%?
I'll nominate Luton for this. A huge number of TL and EM electric trains, the only diesels are the 2 Melton Mowbray trains, one in each direction, and a late night departure to Derby.

Last edited:

Peter0124

Established Member
I'll nominate Luton for this. A huge number of TL and EM electric trains, the only diesels are the 2 Melton Mowbray trains in each direction and a late night departure to Derby.

Also the Shotts line, only three diesel services per day now that it has been electrified, with the diesel trains actually running on fully electrified routes too.

Taunton

Established Member
When was the last diesel train in Fenchurch Street?
I think it was actually in 1962, just before electrification, when a few services were run by Brush Type 2 diesels. Thereafter, although there were a few weekend diesel substitutions on the LT&S in the 1980s while the 6.25kV section at Barking was being changed over to 25kV, the diesels were run to Liverpool Street.

plugwash

Established Member
I don't think the line from Bolton to Preston via Chorley sees much diesel anymore either. Looking through tomorrows services I did spot one train to barrow-in-furness but everything else looked like it could be run with EMUs.

Springs Branch

Established Member
IIRC, in the not-so-distant past, one or more stations on the Glossop lines only saw calls by DMUs heading to/from the Hyde Central - Romiley branch.

I think Fairfield and Ardwick were two - and maybe Gorton as well (not 100% sure on this).

At present:-
  • Ardwick seems to have only one train per day calling there, the 16:37 Piccadilly to Rose Hill - so 100% DMU.
  • Fairfield has only one EMU per day towards Hadfield, none towards Piccadilly. All other calls (23 of them) are Rose Hill trains = 96% DMU.
  • Gorton has a few more calls by EMUs than Fairfield, but the majority of weekday stops are still by Rose Hill DMUs. On Sundays there are no Rose Hill trains, and all of Gorton's services are Hadfield-line EMUs.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Cardiff Central is fully electrified but there’s

1tph to Manchester, 1tp2h to Holyhead, 2tph towards Cheltenham, 2tph towards Bristol, 1tph to Ebbw Vale, 6tph towards Pontypridd, 4tph towards Caerphilly, 8tph towards Grangetown, 2tph towards Swansea, etc etc - that are all entirely diesel operated

and then there’s a half-hourly service to London (often hourly at the moment) operated by a bi-mode train on electricity, with one of those services per day using an electric multiple unit.

aliceh

Swaythling, Millbrook and Redbridge on the Salisbury 6 route. I think Swaythling gets a couple of electric services a day, but the other two have zero scheduled electric trains stopping.

On the other end of the scale, with Cross-country's current timetable, Brockenhurst sees only 3 diesel services out of 100 passenger calls (looking at today's timetable).

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I think it was actually in 1962, just before electrification, when a few services were run by Brush Type 2 diesels. Thereafter, although there were a few weekend diesel substitutions on the LT&S in the 1980s while the 6.25kV section at Barking was being changed over to 25kV, the diesels were run to Liverpool Street.
Way back when, the 1500 V electrification of the Woodhead line ended at Rotherwood sidings, between Darnall and Woodhouse. Consequently Darnall was electrified but only ever saw diesel services, on the route to/from Retford. After the Woodhead line through Penistone became freight-only in 1971, Penistone station remained in use for diesel Sheffield/Huddersfield services, which initially ran on the GC route through Stocksbridge (reversing at Nunnery) and later via Barnsley.

Magdalia

Established Member
The last evening of loco hauled peak time trains at Fenchurch Street was 15 June 1962, with 42501 working the last departure at 6.10 pm to Thorpe Bay. On the same evening the 5.57 pm to Tilbury Riverside was hauled by D5512.

Way back when, the 1500 V electrification of the Woodhead line ended at Rotherwood sidings, between Darnall and Woodhouse. Consequently Darnall was electrified but only ever saw diesel services, on the route to/from Retford.
Some passenger trains did change locos at Rotherwood instead of Sheffield Victoria, particularly on summer Saturdays. These would have passed through Darnall electrically hauled, but I can't think of any that actually stopped at Darnall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.