• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway Journey Confessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
When travelling on UK Railways, have you ever misinformed anyone? Or got on the wrong train? Maybe you're a serial Voyager complainer yet have never ridden on one, or got away with using an invalid routeing.

Mine is utterly shameful, but here goes:

I have never been on a Pacer. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ha ha, at least you had good intentions! :D :p :lol:

:oops: I've wondered ever since whether or not it was a coincidence that the "hold" rule was abolished not long after that...

Are there any long-serving members of SWT / retired SW Division staff on here who remember the incident?

backontrack

Established Member
Also, never any Coradias (which I'm unhappy about) and 450s (which I'm not :D).

My whole list of classes used is embarrassingly short. :oops:

dave12435

Couple times been on the wrong half of splitting trains once at Ashford and ended up in Canterbury West and once at Barnham and went back to Chichester which is where I had came from in the first place

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have never been on a pacer, voyager, meridian, 159 or 313. And I am very glad about that!

backontrack

Established Member
I have never been on a pacer, voyager, meridian, 159 or 313. And I am very glad about that!

I went on a 159 or two yesterday. They're OK.

As for Meridians, I thought they were considered good? I've never been on one either.

Voyagers I have experienced, but not 313s.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Some people might consider them good but for 159s taking over the 47s/50s on the mule was enough to get me not to travel on them. As for 222s, to much like voyagers so that is also a no. And 313s. I wouldn't be surprised if the only passengers on the train were rats (and the driver of course). No offence to anyone who likes these classes though.

backontrack

Established Member
Also, HOORAY! I'M PAST 300 POSTS! <:D <:D <:D :cake: :cake: :cake: :D :D :D

If the Quiz Forum counted...

Back on topic. Any railway confessions?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I remember once being on Class 166 that had air conditioning that worked!:)

HC

what-sorcery-is-this.jpg

I had crammed 165 once from London to Oxford and back. It was absolutely boiling onboard, the train being destined for Great Malvern. :roll:

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
I don't think I've ever travelled on a train hauled by a 37 or a 47...

thenorthern

Established Member
I am the one who moans on twitter all the time yes thats me you have found me out Virgin Trains.

Also I have never been on any designated as a Class 4xx (Southern Electric) train.

pitdiver

Thinking I was on the wrong half of the train at Dovey Jct so got off and onto the other half. Then finding out my original choice was correct. Sounds simple but with two kids and luggage it was a bit of a chore.

Welshman

Established Member
My most embarrassing moment occurred when I was a youth and was touring round Yorkshire on a "Day-Line Diesel" ticket.

I'd boarded a train from York to Ferrybridge for Knottingley on the North Eastern line to Sheffield, intending to catch a 15 minute connection from Knottingley for Ferrybridge on the Lancashire and Yorkshire line to Wakefield Kirkgate, and, for some reason, assumed the two stations were the same one.

I did not realise there was a big hill between the two, but a ten-minute sprint along a main road saw me boarding the second train, sweaty,panting and exhausted, with minutes to spare.

I often think of that when I drive through the M62/M1 complex around there today,

PeterY

Established Member
I never ridden on a pacer either :oops:but that may change next year when I have my ALR for a week. Then I'll be along then and asking forum members for a guaranteed pacer journey of about 1/2 hour in duration.

I was lucky on Friday I had my first ride in a 221 Voyager. Sat I'm guessing just above the engine.

Established Member
Unless I really have to I absolutely refuse to use an accessible toilet after the first (and only) experience I had of using one. Having locked the door a couple of minutes previously (and the light illuminated to confirm that it was locked) the door decided to open of its own accord. Just as well the train was quiet!

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
1. Left office (Liverpool Street) at lunchtime to go by Central Line to bookshop at Tottenham Court Road. Bought book. Fascinating. Set off back to office, reading book on platform and sat in train. Glanced out at a station name. Holland Park .... :roll:

2. Old 4-CEP/411 in 1980s, Charing Cross. Open saloon, longitudinal luggage racks above seats. Swing heavy bag up with decided aplomb up onto rack in one great curving movement to impress girl. Alas slightly silly interior designer had put bare, protruding tungsten lightbulbs only about 6" away from edge of the rack. https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/4790961207 BANG! Bulb scythed right off the bayonet fitting, glass fell onto seats. Kicked glass onto floor and under seat. Mr Chris Green, I owe NSE for one light bulb (apparently in 4-CEP they were full 750 DC voltage and needed a CMEE fitter to replace them).

asylumxl

Established Member
While out with friends years back, I convinced one of them to scoot along on the floor on his bum like a dog. He did so up and down the length of an Electrostar carriage leaving Bedford.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Two entries from Richmond Commuter:

Nowadays I try to avoid travelling on loco hauled stock because I can't be bothered messing about with the manually operated doors. So much easier just to press a button. I am of course aware that Chiltern have by all accounts done a marvelous job of refurbishing their Mk3's but I've had no reason to travel on them.

Back in the late 1980's, having recently started a new job / life in London I was sharing my cousins flat in Woking whilst saving for my first flat. One hot summers evening, with my cousin away for the weekend I pulled a girl who agreed to go back to the flat. No sooner that we were on the last train back to Woking I made it pretty clear that we should go to the toilet for some fun. Said girl was clearly game. Unfortunately the young lady forgot to lock the door behind her and we were soon interrupted by a gentleman. We carried on with our fun having both consumed a fair amount of alcohol. On departing the train at Woking the same gentleman with a wink wished us a good night, before saying "I'm sure you will"!

I'm happy to admit that we were damn lucky and things may well have been very different if the gentleman had taken a dim view of our drunken activities.

Starmill

Veteran Member
222s are about as unlike Voagers as you can get, insofar at least as passenger experience goes. 159s are nicer than 158s, certainly those horrid EMT ones anyway!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have never used Birmingham New Street. I have travelled through it on a train that called there but I have never alighted from a train or joined a train at Birmingham New Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.