• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Station groups as origin/destination on tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan Carroll

At my local station on the North Clyde/ Argyle Line you can buy a ticket that is valid at either Glasgow Central Low Level or Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.

Are there any other tickets like this on the network?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
At my local station on the North Clyde/ Argyle Line you can buy a ticket that is valid at either Glasgow Central Low Level or Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.

Are there any other tickets like this on the network?
Any ticket from the former Southern Region to London is "London Terminals" - valid by any reasonable route to Blackfriars, Cannon Street, Charing Cross, City Thameslink, London Bridge, Vauxhall, Victoria, Waterloo, or Waterloo East.

sluf

When I used to buy a Preston to Manchester off peak return, it simply states any Manchester station so valid at Oxford Road, Piccadilly or Victoria

route101

Established Member
Edinburgh and Haymarket are valid at each others, well i used a Edinburgh ticket at Haymarket.

Not sure about Argyle St or Glasgow Central if they are valid at each others stations?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wiki has a list of 38, I cannot vouch for its accuracy...
Without checking, and from memory it's not far off, except I'll add that Pontefract Baghill was removed from Pontefract Stns group was disbanded earlier this year (which was a wrong move in my opinion but that's a whole topic in it's own right).
Edinburgh and Haymarket are valid at each others, well i used a Edinburgh ticket at Haymarket.

That's slightly different and is a local inter-availability arrangement.

It's not documented in electronic data, unfortunately.

Glasgow Central/Queen Street is the destination printed on tickets and that is therefore a formalised and properly supported arrangement.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Pontefract Group was disbanded earlier this year
It wasn't disbanded, but Baghill station was removed from the fares group and Tanshelf added instead. Pontefract routeing group remains the same and still includes Baghill.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It wasn't disbanded, but Baghill station was removed from the fares group and Tanshelf added instead. Pontefract routeing group remains the same and still includes Baghill.
Sorry yes you're right, though as Tanshelf and Monk Hill are adjacent stations, the main purpose of the group is no more.

It can almost double the cost of a return trip from (say) York to Pontefract (e.g. if someone used the direct train to/from Baghill in one direction and travelled via Leeds to/from Monkhill in the other) :(

lancededcena

My local station (Colchester) reads Colchester\Colchester Town rather than Colchester STNs whenever I buy a ticket (usually buy them from the ticket machine).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My local station (Colchester) reads Colchester\Colchester Town rather than Colchester STNs whenever I buy a ticket (usually buy them from the ticket machine).
That was done for a number of station groups just a few years ago to clarify exactly what was meant by “STNs”. The text field had previously had a length limitation.

paul1609

Established Member
Any ticket from the former Southern Region to London is "London Terminals" - valid by any reasonable route to Blackfriars, Cannon Street, Charing Cross, City Thameslink, London Bridge, Vauxhall, Victoria, Waterloo, or Waterloo East.
Thats not really true anymore. In GTR land advance tickets are often to specific terminals. Theres also tickets now to London Thameslink which include St Pancras and Farringdon and exclude the others off the Thameslink Route. Any London Terminals ticket route plus HS1 is additionally valid by either route to St Pancras.

cool110

There are a few special ones that aren't on the list of "proper" groups like NORTHWIRALLINES for all Merseyrail stations (inc. Chester)

island

Veteran Member
That was done for a number of station groups just a few years ago to clarify exactly what was meant by “STNs”. The text field had previously had a length limitation.
Yes, it was part of a drive to remove “railway jargon” from tickets.

SargeNpton

Established Member
There are a few special ones that aren't on the list of "proper" groups like NORTHWIRALLINES for all Merseyrail stations (inc. Chester)
"NORTHWIRALLINES" is a Zone not a Group; and there aren't just a few special ones but over 400.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thats not really true anymore. In GTR land advance tickets are often to specific terminals. Theres also tickets now to London Thameslink which include St Pancras and Farringdon and exclude the others off the Thameslink Route. Any London Terminals ticket route plus HS1 is additionally valid by either route to St Pancras.
Surely that’s getting into the weeds now though? All the OP wanted to know was examples of other station groups. What you say doesn't actually alter that concept...

SargeNpton

Established Member
This is, I think, the complete list of Station Groups...

Bedford Stations, Bicester Nth/Vil, Birmingham Stns, Bootle Stations, Bradford Yk Stns, Cambridge Stations, Canterbury Stns, Catford Stations, Colchester Stns, Croydon Stations, Dorchester Stns, Dorking Stations, Edenbridge Stns, Enfield Chse/Twn, Falkirk Stations, Farnborough Stns, Folkestone Stns, Gainsborough, Glasgow Cen/Qst, Heathrow Rail, Helensburgh Stns, Hertford Est/Nth, Liverpool Stns, London Terminals, Maidstone Stns, Manchester Stns, Newark Stations, Penge East/West, Pontefract Stns, Portsmouth Stns, Reading Stations, Southend Cen/Vic, Thorne Nth/Sth, Tilbury Town/Riv, Tyndrum Stations, W Hampstead Stns, Wakefield Stns, Warrington Stns, Wigan Stations, Worcester Stns

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is, I think, the complete list of Station Groups...

Bedford Stations, Bicester Nth/Vil, Birmingham Stns, Bootle Stations, Bradford Yk Stns, Cambridge Stations, Canterbury Stns, Catford Stations, Colchester Stns, Croydon Stations, Dorchester Stns, Dorking Stations, Edenbridge Stns, Enfield Chse/Twn, Falkirk Stations, Farnborough Stns, Folkestone Stns, Gainsborough, Glasgow Cen/Qst, Heathrow Rail, Helensburgh Stns, Hertford Est/Nth, Liverpool Stns, London Terminals, Maidstone Stns, Manchester Stns, Newark Stations, Penge East/West, Pontefract Stns, Portsmouth Stns, Reading Stations, Southend Cen/Vic, Thorne Nth/Sth, Tilbury Town/Riv, Tyndrum Stations, W Hampstead Stns, Wakefield Stns, Warrington Stns, Wigan Stations, Worcester Stns
There is no Cambridge Stations fares group, but there is an arrangement that allows Cambridge tickets to be valid at Cambridge North and vice versa.

SargeNpton

Established Member
There is no Cambridge Stations fares group, but there is an arrangement that allows Cambridge tickets to be valid at Cambridge North and vice versa.
NLC 8384 Cambridge Stations. Group members Cambridge and Cambridge North. Just that it doesn't have many live fares flows at the moment.

StephenHunter

Established Member
I've bought a ticket at Tilbury Town that was also valid from Tilbury Riverside... which shut in 1992.

D6975

Established Member
Not a station group, but an easement that used to exist and may still.

Tickets for long distance journeys to Mallaig or Kyle of Lochalsh used to be valid for return from the other, so you could do a round trip.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not a station group, but an easement that used to exist and may still.

Tickets for long distance journeys to Mallaig or Kyle of Lochalsh used to be valid for return from the other, so you could do a round trip.
There is an easement that still allows this.

PeterC

Established Member
I've bought a ticket at Tilbury Town that was also valid from Tilbury Riverside... which shut in 1992.
Valid on the bus to / from Tilbury Town to connect with the ferry?

Hmmm, Cambridge Stations to Standon Calling Festival:
http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=8384&dest=L042

I have no idea what that is!
Probably something to do with travel to the music festival of the same name. However as the festival website doesn't mention bus transfers and recommends taking a taxi from Bishops Stortford station I don't know what the point of the fare is.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hmmm, Cambridge Stations to Standon Calling Festival:
http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=8384&dest=L042

I have no idea what that is!
"Standon Calling" is an annual music festival at Standon Hall in Hertfordshire scheduled in 2021 for mid July. Wonder where the interchange station is (Bishop Stortford presumably?) and whether the ticket includes onward coach travel to the festival site and if you can purchase the travel ticket for dates other than when the festival is scheduled.

CrispyUK

"Standon Calling" is an annual music festival at Standon Hall in Hertfordshire scheduled in 2021 for mid July. Wonder where the interchange station is (Bishop Stortford presumably?) and whether the ticket includes onward coach travel to the festival site and if you can purchase the travel ticket for dates other than when the festival is scheduled.

I’m guessing it’s for the combo train/shuttle/entry ticket sold last year by Greater Anglia:

Thursday, 6 June 2019

Festival lovers can travel to a popular Hertfordshire festival this year for less, thanks to Greater Anglia.
The local train operator has partnered with Standon Calling to offer a special discounted ticket price package including train travel, a shuttle bus and entry to the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.