• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations in Villages which serve nearby Towns

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd269697

Excluding stations suffixed ‘parkway’ or ‘road’

stations which are located in a village (and named after it) but primarily serve a town within its catchment area.

examples off the top of my head include

Alnmouth (for Alnwick)
And Gobowen (for Oswestry)

Any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Three Bridges serves Crawley (although Crawley does have it's own station, it's not got as many services).

WestRiding

Moorthorpe (a village) definitely serves the town of South Elmsall (which has a station on a different line too). West Yorkshire.

snowball

Established Member
Would you count Sandbach station which could be said to be actually in Elworth?

bramling

Veteran Member

stations which are located in a village (and named after it) but primarily serve a town within its catchment area.

Alnmouth (for Alnwick)

Any others?

Bedwyn is a railhead for Marlborough.

Halish Railway

Established Member
- Woodlesford for Rothwell
- South Milford for Sherborne-in-Elmet which like the previously mentioned Crawley has its own station but a better service from a nearby station.
- Fitzwilliam for Ackworth & Hemsworth.
- Menston, which although having a significant population acts as a railhead for the much larger Otley.
- Kirkstall Forge for the southern parts of Horsforth, as well as Hawksworth & northern parts of Bramley.

WestRiding

- Woodlesford for Rothwell
- South Milford for Sherborne-in-Elmet which like the previously mentioned Crawley has its own station but a better service from a nearby station.
- Fitzwilliam for Ackworth & Hemsworth.
- Menston, which although having a significant population acts as a railhead for the much larger Otley.
- Kirkstall Forge for the southern parts of Horsforth, as well as Hawksworth & northern parts of Bramley.
Oooof, Fitzwilliam for Ackworth.... I live in Ackworth, and have never felt that. People may drive to Fitzwilliam and park there, maybe get a taxi but otherwise its a disjointed bus service to get there, a 25 min walk to even Brackenhill end over the old colliery on mud paths...... Now if it was Fitzwilliam for Kinsley, I'd agree.

What does the Op mean by serves? A short walk? A 10 min car drive? I interpreted it as a short walk sort of thing.

If we're talking a drive away, I'll nominate Aram, for Beverley.

Nova1

The Lakes station serves most of the population of Earlswood, with Earlswood station being a bit far from the centre of Earlswood.
Not sure if this counts.

The Lakes station serves most of the population of Earlswood, with Earlswood station being a bit far from the centre of Earlswood.
Not sure if this counts.
It counts for sure.

The hamlet of Danzey Station serves the larger Tanworth in Arden.

Would Whitlocks End count for Dickens Heath; think it's a bit of a stretch myself?

Three Bridges serves Crawley (although Crawley does have it's own station, it's not got as many services).
Three Bridges is not a village. It is simply a suburb of Crawley. It is part of the town of Crawley. So i do not think that it would count.

sannox

Markinch serves quite a bit of Glenrothes - the town centre and shopping centre is far closer to Markinch station than Glenrothes with Thornton.

Leuchars for St Andrews is another that comes to mind.

clagmonster

Established Member
Habrough for Immingham, though sadly there is only one bus a week. Many use taxis or cars, it is a lengthy walk.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Between Bristol and Taunton we have Nailsea & Backwell (in the latter village), Yatton for Clevedon and Highbridge for Burnham on Sea.

MadMac

Markinch serves quite a bit of Glenrothes - the town centre and shopping centre is far closer to Markinch station than Glenrothes with Thornton.

Leuchars for St Andrews is another that comes to mind.
Markinch was “Markinch For Glenrothes” at one time.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Whittlesford Parkway which services as a railhead for Haverhill.

Before 1923 if you took freight for Penrith town to a Midland Railway depot they would deliver it to Langwathby village, seven miles away, then cart it, rather than let the LNW have a share of the charges.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Alnmouth (for Alnwick)

Any others?
You could probably say Alnmouth isn’t actually in Alnmouth either…

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps a slightly different one, but Burscough Bridge (is Burscough still classed as a village?) is basically "West Lancashire Parkway", including places like Ormskirk and environs, for travel to Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.