• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations located uphill from city and town centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

67thave

During the three months I spent in the United Kingdom earlier this year, I noticed that the vast majority of mainline rail stations seem to be located downhill from city and town centers. To an extent, this makes perfect sense, as many railways were built on routes with as little gradient as possible and therefore follow rivers (and, in many cases, canals).

The only example of a rail station located uphill from the center of town which I can recall is High Wycombe. I imagine that there are plenty of others as well that I missed during my travels.

Edit: Thanks for all the additions and reminding me about Durham and Stockport (both of which I used and somehow forgot that they were uphill - noticeably so in the case of Durham!).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
Deighton, Slaithwaite and Marsden are all uphill... and downhill. But up from the main road through the settlement.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Helensburgh Upper, Garelochhead, Crianlarich, Tyndrum Upper (now Upper Tyndrum), Connel Ferry, Glenfinnan, Arisaig - the latter six being villages rather than towns.

Mugby

Established Member
Rugby Station is about a mile from the town centre and a steady climb most of the way.

snowball

Established Member
An opposite example: Oldham town centre is at the top of a hill. When it was on the national rail network, the stations were downhill from the centre. The railway was converted to Metrolink, then after a year or two it was rerouted through the town centre with some big changes of height.

steamybrian

Established Member
Sevenoaks town centre is at the top of a long hill from the station.
Ramsgate station is at the top of a long hill from the town centre/harbour.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Chippenham (indeed the street which runs between the station and the main road over the town bridge is called Station Hill). The viaduct you cross just west of the station gives a good view across the town centre.

A pattern with a few of these thus far is riverside towns - where perhaps avoiding meanders and/or marshy ground was a motivation to make the engineering cheaper and easier?

leytongabriel

Enfield Chase is above the town centre though there's still a good hill to go up to reach Oakwood ( originally Enfield West).
The former stations at Ilfracombe,Ventnor and Crouch End were notoriously at the top of a hill too.

Pigeon

Worcester Shrub Hill is up a hill from the town centre. It's up the same hill from the former industrial area that developed around the canal. When the railway arrived an extensive network of sidings was built in that area. It must have been quite a sight watching the tankies struggling to haul loaded wagons up those gradients to the main line.

Worcester Foregate Street is just up a load of steps.

D6130

Established Member
Armathwaite
Appleby
Kirkby Stephen
Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Darlington
Northallerton
Rochdale
Todmorden
Kilmarnock
West Kilbride
Inverkip
North Berwick
Kirkcaldy
Kilpatrick
Linlithgow
Falkirk High

thenorthern

Established Member
Windermere is a strange one as originally the railway was designed to serve the town of Bowness-on-Windermere but the gradient into Bowness was too steep to run into Bowness. In the end we ended up with Windermere station and later Windermere town around the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.