• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations located uphill from city and town centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Always seems a drag up Cheapside past the Midland Hotel. If yhou look on Street view the gradient shows up against the horizontal courses of the stonework.
You then go down the ramp back to the level you started at.
I’ve no idea if it’s now been blocked off, but you used to be able to avoid both ramps by going round the other side of the Midland Hotel.

I’m going to assume we’ve had Durham, Morpeth, and Berwick-upon-Tweed. Bishop Auckland is a hike up the hill too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
The main stations in Burnley (both Central and Manchester Road) require quite a walk up the hill from at least part of the town centre. It's over a decade since I was last thhere, but it checks out on Google Earth.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
St Albans City station is a bit of an oddity in that while lower than the city centre nevertheless one has to go uphill when walking from the centre to the station. The city centre is at about 116m and the station is at 102m - but Victoria Street which links the two dips down to about 97m between the two!
Batley is similar. The station is slightly higher (I think) than the main bit of the town centre, but to walk from by the town hall to the station you have to walk downhill along Hick Lane, then back up after crossing Bradford Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.