• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations more than one change from London

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Anywhere on Merseyrail Northern Line would entail two changes, unless similarly Central to Lime Street counted as a single interchange (which it isn't really, though not too far to walk), or unless/until London trains stopped at South Parkway.
Hunts Cross can be accessed with one change from London at Manchester Piccadilly. Same for Liverpool South Parkway although in this case the change can also be made at Runcorn or Lime Street. I forgot LSP no longer has a direct train to London since the LNWR Liverpool - London service was split.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urbophile

Established Member
Hunts Cross can be accessed with one change from London at Manchester Piccadilly. Same for Liverpool South Parkway although in this case the change can also be made at Runcorn or Lime Street. I forgot LSP no longer has a direct train to London since the LNWR Liverpool - London service was split.
How many trains from HX go to Piccadilly? I thought they all terminated at Oxford Road.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Going back a few years to when the Cardiff Bay branch was just a shuttle from Queen Street, that would have qualified.
Don't you still have to change at both Queen Street and Central?

A lot of stations (on the WHL, FNL in Scotland for example) have only a few tpd to London from Inverness and Aberdeen but you normally cannot get there in less than 2 changes without a long wait time from those stations either.
FNL and Kyle line connect into the sleeper at Inverness (not sure of the relevance of Aberdeen)
Apart from the Sleeper, the West Highland Line needs two changes (Dalmuir and Glasgow Central, or Queen Street and Waverley)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
How many trains from HX go to Piccadilly? I thought they all terminated at Oxford Road.

Also at least 1x EMR service (1353 Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street) calls at Hunts Cross. I could swear there used to be one in the morning which called there

BeijingDave

Somewhat confused there for a moment, because in my experience, HX is more likely to be used as shorthand for Halifax. Particularly if you're a rugby league follower.

PTR 444

Established Member
Somewhat confused there for a moment, because in my experience, HX is more likely to be used as shorthand for Halifax. Particularly if you're a rugby league follower.
I always assumed HX was shorthand for Heathrow Express

BeijingDave

So did I. Would never have considered it to mean Halifax.
May be a northern thing.

Many of the logos associated with the town have been styled around the 'X' or 'HX'. I have also seen it written as an abbreviation for Halifax many times.
1992-1993-halifax-rugby-league-shirt-medium-(2)-12161-1-p.jpg
images.jpeg

Peter0124

Established Member
London to Glasgow is direct, Glasgow Central to Queen St is a transfer either by foot or shuttle bus so one change, Queen St to Maryhill line is one change again.

So two changes. The transfer counts as a change because there is no direct train from London to Glasgow Queen Street.

Or
London to Glasgow Central
Glasgow Central to Anniesland
Anniesland to Maryhill line

Still two changes

greyman42

Established Member
London to Glasgow is direct, Glasgow Central to Queen St is a transfer either by foot or shuttle bus so one change, Queen St to Maryhill line is one change again.

So two changes. The transfer counts as a change because there is no direct train from London to Glasgow Queen Street.

Or

Still two changes
You can get from Queen Street to Maryhill without a change?

Mak1981

You can get to London from Stranraer, Barrhill, Girvan and Maybole with 1 change but the other way round travelling from London is only possible with 2 changes

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
You can get to London from Stranraer, Barrhill, Girvan and Maybole with 1 change but the other way round travelling from London is only possible with 2 changes
Indeed.

As well then that the OP was looking for stations (NR) where you can't get to London in one change or less.

scrapy

Established Member
No. Numerous trains direct from there (Salford Central) to Leeds (SuX) plus a few daily to Wigan North Western.
Also can be done with one change at Brighouse or Mirfield, or once daily (plus overnight wait) at Halifax or Bradford Interchange

Alex365Dash

Or

Still two changes
This depends on the station on the line - for both Maryhill and Possilpark & Parkhouse, whilst the journey to London takes two changes, the journey from London takes one change if you use the 2113 London Euston to Fort William Highland sleeper service as far as Dumbarton Central, then wait 1 hour and 42 minutes(!) there for the 0759 to Queen Street via Maryhill.

greyman42

Established Member
This depends on the station on the line - for both Maryhill and Possilpark & Parkhouse, whilst the journey to London takes two changes, the journey from London takes one change if you use the 2113 London Euston to Fort William Highland sleeper service as far as Dumbarton Central, then wait 1 hour and 42 minutes(!) there for the 0759 to Queen Street via Maryhill.
I don't think we are clear on what is classed as a change regarding Central to Queen Street.

Alex365Dash

I don't think we are clear on what is classed as a change regarding Central to Queen Street.
Fixed links are considered a leg in their own right, whether that’s a walk or the 398 bus.

A journey with changes at Central and Queen Street would therefore be two changes.

Peter0124

Established Member
Fixed links are considered a leg in their own right, whether that’s a walk or the 398 bus.

A journey with changes at Central and Queen Street would therefore be two changes.
It's like trying to get from Manchester Piccadilly to Gatwick Airport.

Manchester - Euston
Euston - St Pancras WALK
St Pancras - Gatwick

Its two changes because you need to change London terminus. You could even take the Tube from Euston to St Pancras. Or Euston to Victoria (and Southern onwards). Its still a change walking / transferring between termini, doesn't have to always be by train.

nw1

Established Member
I wonder how many of these could be eliminated by considering different stations in the same city as 'the same'?

So if you have to transfer from one city terminal to another by non-train means, it's still considered only a single change.

Which could, of course, perhaps be done with just a single change at Reading (or Southampton Central, or Peterborough).

(Manchester-Gatwick)

And nil changes back in the golden days of Cross-Country. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.