• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations named after buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vic-rijrode

I'm not sure this one has been mentioned before, but a station that never was (apart from platforms) would have been named after a pub - Bull & Bush between Hampstead and Golders Green on the Northern Line (sounds like a song....).

I'm not sure this one has been mentioned before, but a station that never was (apart from platforms) would have been named after a pub - Bull & Bush between Hampstead and Golders Green on the Northern Line (sounds like a song....).
Bull and Bush is more of a nickname due its location. The original name planned for the station was "North End"

Mikey C

Established Member
The music hall song "Down at the Old Bull and Bush" is actually about that pub!

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Bootle new strand.

Named after the new strand shopping centre. Was previously marsh lane and strand.

Stanlow and Thornton. Named after the oil refinery.

DorkingMain

Hampton Court (after Hampton Court Palace)

Christ's Hospital (after Christ's Hospital school)

St Leonard's Warrior Square (after Warrior Square Gardens)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

bearhugger

Is Redcar British Steel allowed? Granted the station itself is temporarily closed and I think they’re in the process of demolishing most of the site in order to redevelop for other businesses.
I am also a little surprised that James Cook is the only hospital that’s been mentioned. I expected there would be two or three more.

Steddenm

Is Redcar British Steel allowed? Granted the station itself is temporarily closed and I think they’re in the process of demolishing most of the site in order to redevelop for other businesses.
I am also a little surprised that James Cook is the only hospital that’s been mentioned. I expected there would be two or three more.

City Hospital in Belfast. Does that count?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Post #16 has two other Hospital stations.

Karl

On Moderation
Would Lostock Hall qualify? I grew up in Lostock Hall but never knew where the hall was.

Also Bamber Bridge. Would you believe there's no bridge at all in Bamber Bridge? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.