• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that don't get a mention here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Not a lot of Borough Green and Wrotham on here, nor is there any Woodmansterne, Buxted or Fishersgate !! My nominations.

All mentioned.....Buxted in a topic made by myself a while back it seems !!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

herschell

Golf Street and Barry Links stations between Carnoustie & Broughty Ferry though mind you there very small stations and don't get a regular service

thenorthern

Established Member
They have been mentioned a few times but East Garforth, Kents Bank and Allens West seem quite quiet.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We say the majority of certain mentions are coming from the Quiz Forum; I'd be inclined to narrow that source down to "The Next Station Is..." :)

Parham Wood

A bit tongue in cheek this. In 1971 as a railway trainee I was issued a priv from Lavington Berks and Hants) to Reading. Handwritten of course. Needless to say Lavington had been closed for some years! However I thinkg Lavington gets a mention every now and again as a timing /reference point.

backontrack

Established Member
After my posting earlier, I tried some stations in the Far North out. Kinbrace has a total 23* mentions, as does Fearn. <:D

We never refer to Thorpe Bay, only its alter-ego Twerp. :lol:

*now 24.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
How about Grange Hill, the only station to inspire a fictionalised comprehensive school on TV? (Unless Waterloo Road was ever the name of a station.)

herschell

I've run out of ideas and stations that are near me though there are historical railways with stations that I can mention, the Caladonian Railway with Bridge of Dun-Brechin and I believe the line used to reach to Montrose to what is now Caladonian Sheltered housing but does retain it's features from when it was a station.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
My local station has no scheduled sevices as it's a request stop on the Barton Line (aka Humberlinc Line). The station has no lighting which limits service to midday hours. When it is served it's by a single 153 Super Sprinter once every 2 hours which makes it unpopular as buses are cheaper and frequent. The TPE train drives past not stopping despite it's carpark capacity. It's New Clee.

thenorthern

Established Member
I don't think I have ever seen Colchester Town mentioned on here or Chester Road.

Howardh

Established Member
Kearsley. Mainly on the grounds that I've never, ever seen a passenger get on or off there. It's like sticking Pluto inbetween Saturn and Jupiter :|.

Someone will come on here and say "oh it's the second busiest station in the whole of Greater Manchester". Might be on Halloween with people trying to locate the ghosts... :lol:

EDIT. 193 hits/posts. Booo.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Few
This thread needs some added Wem (Welsh Marches Line)

Of those tiddly little halts between Shrewsbury and Crewe, I'd suggest Prees or Yorton more than Wem...

EDIT: should really have checked first, there's dozens for Prees!

Bit late to this thread...:oops:

Last edited:

Requeststop

Although those include the quiz forum, which the OP did say we could exclude. Portlethen appears 41 times via the forum search. I can beat that with 27 mentions for Roose (edit - and I reckon that I'm responsible for a good half dozen of those :) ). Of course, this thread is nicely self-defeating for this!

I guess what we want are the second or third stations of medium sized towns, on quiet lines, without any notable service pattern or other feature.

Edit-
Ah: realized that the forum search is not useful for multiword stations!
Thank you for the defense of my earlier post. I did say that I had never seen a Post on Moreton (Merseyside). Unlike the Moderator(s) I don't actually read every post and thread and that is my defense. :D

Established Member
I don't think I have ever seen Colchester Town mentioned on here or Chester Road.

Sorry, Colchester Town got a mention in the 'curves that end up in the opposite direction' thread. My fault :(

And in a couple of other threads.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member

When I had reason to foray deep into the Rhondda Valley, I'd sometimes get a lift from Cardiff and was intrigued by this strange station. On one side of it is a cliff, on the other is an A road with no pedestrian access which separates it from the town. There is emergency access at street level, the station is accessed through a subway.

NSE

Established Member
Dullingham, or maybe Eden Park. I'm gonna add Lake on the Isle of Wight. Though I'm out right now and can't search :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.