• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: unwritten etiquette as a railway passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
Is it really just down to the railway to police this? How many staff would you be willing to pay for to ensure that all areas of every train are suitably stewarded?

My own feeling is that at least part of the solution comes with other members of travelling public. I’m obviously not suggesting that you wade into a sketchy situation vigilante style, but a lot of what is classified here as “undesirable behaviour” is largely tolerated by the majority of passengers. People don’t speak up or do anything else to signal to that these types of behaviours are not welcomed but would rather sit quietly and put up with it. And if folk are content to sit and put up with it, I would have to ask just how bad is it really?

Of course I understand the reticence to speak up for fear of retribution, but I think that the perception of an unpleasant confrontation is more real than the actual chances of one. My 75 year old mum travelling alone spoke up and was able to moderate the language of a group of potty-mouthed youths. As traincrew, I don’t think I would have been very impressed if a punter expected me to walk most of the way back down an 8 car train to have dealt with such an issue.

greyman42

Established Member
Do I take it from these comments that some people don't want people to sit next to them, look at them, speak to anyone, eat anything, use any electronic device or move around the train? If so, their best solution might be to buy a car.
If you read #266, someone did not even like people sitting behind them.

I can't see how it hurts anyone else for someone to be applying makeup!
I would much rather the makeup be applied at the seat than having all the toilets engaged for the last 15 minutes of the journey.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I understand many of the expectations for basic decency (don't be obnoxiously loud, don't take calls of a private nature or play loud audio from a device, don't stink out the coach, don't litter etc...).

On the other hand, some of the posts on here suggest that some people think the railway is a private chaffeur service for adult (18+) working businesspeople and middle-class leisure travellers and that anything other than sitting silently, away from others, typing quietly on a laptop or staring out of the window (don't even think about talking to someone or even sitting near them, you must always sit as far as humanly possible from others to be 'considerate') is utterly unacceptable and should be an arrestable offence.

It's public transport. People will use it for family days out (kids make noise, they're kids), drinking days (even the dreaded hen parties. The railway is an excellent alternative to driving so everyone can enjoy a few drinks on a day out. Can't believe the number of suggestions that this should be outlawed!) and people will make phonecalls (should people not make phonecalls outside in the street as it's noise pollution? What about in a shop? Public spaces are noisy - it's life. Do it in the vestibule if you can, but some people seem to want to hire the sound police with decibel readers and arrest those who breach the silent ambience they desire).

Short of buying a private suite on an Emirates A380, public transport is going to be noisy, deal with it.

TUC

Established Member
It depends on your definition of Social Etiquette I suppose. the Smoking ban is one example of legislation I was thinking of.
That's different because smoking directly affects the physical health of others. Most of the other examples are just personal preferences/minor irritants.

I understand many of the expectations for basic decency (don't be obnoxiously loud, don't take calls of a private nature or play loud audio from a device, don't stink out the coach, don't litter etc...).

On the other hand, some of the posts on here suggest that some people think the railway is a private chaffeur service for adult (18+) working businesspeople and middle-class leisure travellers and that anything other than sitting silently, away from others, typing quietly on a laptop or staring out of the window (don't even think about talking to someone or even sitting near them, you must always sit as far as humanly possible from others to be 'considerate') is utterly unacceptable and should be an arrestable offence.

It's public transport. People will use it for family days out (kids make noise, they're kids), drinking days (even the dreaded hen parties. The railway is an excellent alternative to driving so everyone can enjoy a few drinks on a day out. Can't believe the number of suggestions that this should be outlawed!) and people will make phonecalls (should people not make phonecalls outside in the street as it's noise pollution? What about in a shop? Public spaces are noisy - it's life. Do it in the vestibule if you can, but some people seem to want to hire the sound police with decibel readers and arrest those who breach the silent ambience they desire).

Short of buying a private suite on an Emirates A380, public transport is going to be noisy, deal with it.
Well said. I don't know why some of the people complaining here use public transport.

trainophile

Established Member
I'd rather someone was having a conversation "of a private nature", be it business or, as I often hear, people updating other family members about a relative who is in hospital, rather than the inane giggling chit chat that some (usually) young ladies are having, often for the entire duration of their journey. They have no recognition that they sound like simpletons.

Kite159

Veteran Member
On the tube, when you board and the tube is busy, don't just stop by the door, move away from the door(s), other people might want to get on after you.

Saw that a few times today when in London, someone boards and just stops even though passengers are still trying to get on afterwards

xotGD

Established Member
If you have been reading a book and finish it during your journey, consider leaving it behind for someone else to read.

Here's an idea: Apply the 9pm watershed on trains, after which swearing and conversations of an adult nature become acceptable.

MCSHF007

I'd rather someone was having a conversation "of a private nature", be it business or, as I often hear, people updating other family members about a relative who is in hospital, rather than the inane giggling chit chat that some (usually) young ladies are having, often for the entire duration of their journey. They have no recognition that they sound like simpletons.
So much this.

Kilopylae

inane giggling chit chat that some (usually) young ladies are having, often for the entire duration of their journey. They have no recognition that they sound like simpletons.
This is extremely judgemental and also likely misogynistic. I think I would rather sound like a simpleton than look like someone who sits on trains judging others as "simpletons" for making enjoyable conversation!

MCSHF007

This is extremely judgemental and also likely misogynistic. I think I would rather sound like a simpleton than look like someone who sits on trains judging others as "simpletons" for making enjoyable conversation!
I'm with @trainophile here. @Kilopylae is of course being equally "judgemental".

trainophile

Established Member

Those who have met me will know that I am in no position to be misogynistic! ;)

And mobile phones hadn’t been invented when I was in the age group I’m referring to.

Matt_pool

Perhaps a "no children on trains after 7pm" rule, like some pubs and restaurants have?

What about no drunk people on trains after 7pm, especially those who can't handle a couple of watered down pints of Carling and behave like a Neanderthal, in particular on the last train on a Friday and Saturday evening from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Oxford Road and vice versa!

BingMan

On the tube, when you board and the tube is busy, don't just stop by the door, move away from the door(s), other people might want to get on after you.

Saw that a few times today when in London, someone boards and just stops even though passengers are still trying to get on afterwards
Get off the train as soon as possible after it stops.
Don't wait until you have to push through the people crowding aboard and don't look offended because they dare to board before you got off.

Gloster

Established Member
Actually from a bus I was on today, but I have seen similar on trains. If you are at the front of a queue don’t get on and when you get to the luggage rack, stop and hold everybody up while you reorganise your various bags. Particularly if this involves taking stuff out of different bags to put in the one you are taking to your seat and putting the surplus contents of that bag into other bags.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Who agrees with not sitting next to someone if there are plenty of double seats in the carriage?

Who agrees with not sitting next to someone if there are plenty of double seats in the carriage?
Depends if someone is blocking a seat with their bag or not. I'll go out of my way to sit where that bag was, even if there are 20 other spare seats, to make a point.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Depends if someone is blocking a seat with their bag or not. I'll go out of my way to sit where that bag was, even if there are 20 other spare seats, to make a point.
Indeed. Often a useful way of readily getting a seat on a busy commuter service when the 20 spare seats might be randomly spread along the length of a 12 car unit. ;)

Wolfie

Established Member
Someone taking up a seat with a bag on a busy train? I agree. Someone doing so on an almost empty train? Frankly, you are being an AH if you do that then.

Established Member

That seems unnecessarily aggressive when it’s quiet. If it was me I’d refuse to move the bag!

A different matter if it’s busy.

kristiang85

Established Member
If you're going to leave your newspaper, make sure the crossword isn't done.

If you've done the crossword, bin it.

Calthrop

Established Member
What about, if you've had time / ability to do only part of the crossword?

GodAtum

On Moderation
Someone taking up a seat with a bag on a busy train? I agree. Someone doing so on an almost empty train? Frankly, you are being an AH if you do that then.

I agree. I've had someone do that to me so I just moved to an empty pair. He then kept stalking me as I put my bag on the seat. As a lone person this was very scary.

trainophile

Established Member
We don't know the person's circumstances. Perhaps they can't manage to get their bag or case into the overhead racks, or are worried they won't be able to get it down again. If the luggage racks are full what are they supposed to do?

Veteran Member
We don't know the person's circumstances. Perhaps they can't manage to get their bag or case into the overhead racks, or are worried they won't be able to get it down again. If the luggage racks are full what are they supposed to do?
"Would you mind moving your bag please? Can I help you?

Status
Not open for further replies.