• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trolleybuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisky Papa

Prague also opened a new trolleybus system in 2017, and significant expansion has occurred since then and is still planned.
Whilst I fully agree that Prague is a city that would be ideal for trolleybus operation, the above is a bit of an overstatement I'm afraid. One short trial section was opened in 2017, and the DPP (Prague's city transport operator) website has only just announced that construction has started on anything further:https://www.dpp.cz/en/company/news-...construction-of-the-trolleybus-line-has-begun

Edited to remove unnecessary highlighting of dm1's quote.

Also, one oddity of the scheme mentioned in the linked DPP article is that there remains an unwired gap between Prosek and Letňany. I'm not sure why this short stretch of urban dual-carriageway is deemed unsuitable for wiring?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londontransit

That meets the obscurity test! Wasn't Michael Caine once the ambassador there? :)
FYI Steven Fisher is the ambassador. He represented the UK at a meeting with the President of Pridnestrovie in September 2021. The President is a fan of trolleybuses :)

Whilst I fully agree that Prague is a city that would be ideal for trolleybus operation, the above is a bit of an overstatement I'm afraid. One short trial section was opened in 2017, and the DPP (Prague's city transport operator) website has only just announced that construction has started on anything further:https://www.dpp.cz/en/company/news-...construction-of-the-trolleybus-line-has-begun
One place I can certainly say which has expanded its system almost year on year up to 2020 is that in Tiraspol, capital of Pridnestrovie (or Transnistria as some may know it.) It might be an obscure place but they do have a large system and its one that keeps growing, with a total length currently of about seventy two miles. That's more than double the length of the old system in Prague! I've written about the large Tiraspol based system on my blog (published today 18/01/22.)

Small city. Big trolley system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
FYI Steven Fisher is the ambassador. He represented the UK at a meeting with the President of Pridnestrovie in September 2021. The President is a fan of trolleybuses :)

One place I can certainly say which has expanded its system almost year on year up to 2020 is that in Tiraspol, capital of Pridnestrovie (or Transnistria as some may know it.) It might be an obscure place but they do have a large system and its one that keeps growing, with a total length currently of about seventy two miles. That's more than double the length of the old system in Prague! I've written about the large Tiraspol based system on my blog (published today 18/01/22.)

Small city. Big trolley system.
That looks fascinating - thanks for sharing. Not got time to read it all at present, but I'll go back to it. I was going to say that any President who's a fan of trolleybuses has to be applauded, until I remembered a certain Prime Minister claims to be a bus fan. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.