• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV advert reminiscences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Everyone in my family seemed to like the AA advert with the wee girl in the back of the car singing along to Rollin' on the River - everyone went "awwww".

The current AA ad with the dog is receiving mixed reviews over on the Annoying TV Ads thread, however :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Everyone in my family seemed to like the AA advert with the wee girl in the back of the car singing along to Rollin' on the River - everyone went "awwww".

The current AA ad with the dog is receiving mixed reviews over on the Annoying TV Ads thread, however :)
Pedant corner - 'Proud Mary' methinks, not that I was ever a Creedence fan.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Why is it that adverts with adults having children's voices dubbed over are apparently universally hated, but a child with an adult voice dubbed over is "cute"?

Both are terrible.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Why is it that adverts with adults having children's voices dubbed over are apparently universally hated, but a child with an adult voice dubbed over is "cute"?

Both are terrible.

Agreed, I can't stand either.

johnnychips

Established Member
This is going back to the 70s, and possibly only in Granadaland - i.e the north-west of England. There was a furniture store called Williams, and their tag line was ‘Spectacular savings at Williams - where else?’ At one point this was sung by a very heavily made-up Eartha Kitt lookalike, but then they had a superman sort of figure, who was - erm - rather well-endowed on the advert, running through the store and - erm - bouncing his bits a lot. The original song finished

As you walk through the door, your pound’s worth more
At Williams, where else?

Everybody at school sang

As you walk through the door, your balls hit the floor
At Williams, where else?

This actually made it into the Daily Mirror and the actor said he was ‘embarrassed’.

Anybody remember this? I can’t find it on YouTube.

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
This is going back to the 70s, and possibly only in Granadaland - i.e the north-west of England. There was a furniture store called Williams, and their tag line was ‘Spectacular savings at Williams - where else?’ At one point this was sung by a very heavily made-up Eartha Kitt lookalike, but then they had a superman sort of figure, who was - erm - rather well-endowed on the advert, running through the store and - erm - bouncing his bits a lot. The original song finished

As you walk through the door, your pound’s worth more
At Williams, where else?

Everybody at school sang

As you walk through the door, your balls hit the floor
At Williams, where else?

This actually made it into the Daily Mirror and the actor said he was ‘embarrassed’.

As a former citizen of Granadaland, I definitely remember the jingle, but can't recall seeing the gentleman in question.

I remember my dad's parody of the Williams ad being "As you walk through the door, you fall flat on floor. . . . . ."

Not sure whether he ever came across the schoolyard version (he worked in an engineering works, so not impossible it might be heard on the factory floor or in the works canteen) - but it would have been "inappropriate" (as they say these days) to be amusing young children with that rendition!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There was a furniture store called Williams, and their tag line was ‘Spectacular savings at Williams - where else?’

Can't find the clip to which you refer, but this one from c. 1978 for the same business, and "starring" actor Arthur English, includes the "at Williams - where else?" tagline...

Typhoon

Established Member
"You'll look a little lovelier each day, with fabulous pink Camay"

Was that supposed only to refer to women, as it did nothing for me!!!
If you'd asked me, I would have said it was 'mild Camay' but can't find an advert for that.

Refer to women - that ad goes back years when pink meant 'woman'. I think men were supposed to use Lifebuoy (red), which came in a big slab, presumably because they needed it after a day labouring on the shop floor. There was always a bar of that and Imperial Leather in our bathroom!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anyone remember the Summer County margarine advert, with its tuneful jingle.

Certain lads in the local school football team used to sing it at junior school, but changing it to Stockport County... :lol:

*****************************************************************************************************************

I am not sure if the words I remembered are correct, but this jingle from many years ago has suddenly sprung to to mind.......

"All the prices are low,
Wherever you go,
That's Asda-price"

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone remember the Summer County margarine advert, with its tuneful jingle.

Certain lads in the local school football team used to sing it at junior school, but changing it to Stockport County... :lol:

*****************************************************************************************************************

I am not sure if the words I remembered are correct, but this jingle from many years ago has suddenly sprung to to mind.......

"All the prices are low,
Wherever you go,
That's Asda-price"

Certainly remember one of the biggest lies ever broadcast namely that people couldn't tell the difference between Stork Margarine and Butter.

Was that fronted by Lesley Crowther ?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Leslie Crowther but yes. Must have been awful butter if you couldn't tell the difference!

Altrincham

• Flake - ...only the crumbliest flakiest chocolate tastes like chocolate never tasted before...
  • Fry’s Turkish Delight - full of eastern promise
  • Hoseasons - Sail boats, canal boats, and cruisers too...
  • ELS - ELS gives a bigger choice yes - yes yes

(There is also an advert from the late 1980s, or possibly 1990s, with a great anthemic tune that I have never been able to find. I was convinced that British Airways used it in one if their adverts but it wasn’t BA. It’s been used in TV programmes as incidental music and sounds a bit like Sweet Harmony by The Beloved, but the name of this particular tune continues to evade me).

nlogax

Established Member
(There is also an advert from the late 1980s, or possibly 1990s, with a great anthemic tune that I have never been able to find. I was convinced that British Airways used it in one if their adverts but it wasn’t BA. It’s been used in TV programmes as incidental music and sounds a bit like Sweet Harmony by The Beloved, but the name of this particular tune continues to evade me).

In 1990 Alpen used The Beloved's The Sun Rising for an ad if that helps?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Certainly remember one of the biggest lies ever broadcast namely that people couldn't tell the difference between Stork Margarine and Butter.

Was that fronted by Lesley Crowther ?
Before (or after) that by Bruce Forsyth, who fell on hard times after Sunday Night at the London Palladium :D Actually, I think you're wrong about the taste test - it was between Stork and another, unnamed margarine (possibly Slagheap or Lardbucket.)

Last edited:

Altrincham

In 1990 Alpen used The Beloved's The Sun Rising for an ad if that helps?
Cheers for posting that. Although that isn’t the same tune, you have set me thinking that the tune in my mind is from 1990 or thereabouts and has a chorus not too dissimilar in sound to the chorus from the McEwans’ Alive and Kicking tune.

dgl

Established Member
Before (or after) that by Bruce Forsyth, who fell on hard times after Sunday Night at the London Palladium :D Actually, I think you're wrong about the taste test - it was between Stork and another, unnamed margarine (possibly Slagheap or Lardbucket.)
And on Have I got News For You Bruce mentioned the taste tests and how he made it look like he liked the stuff but in fact hated it!

MotCO

Established Member
Do you remember the ad showing the Carlsberg complaints dept - it was an empty dusty room with a phone, and the phone rang. Someone passing by answered it and said "sorry, wrong number".

Also there was that small boy cowboy who said "The Milky Bars are on me!"

There was the Fiat Strada ad - designed by computers, built by robots, driven by you (or there is an impolite version!)
The former Swedish company SAAB advertising cars.

The ad ended with Sierra, Alpha, Alpha, Bravo, spelling out the name phonetically.

And Sierra and Bravo were cars made by Ford and Fiat respectively!!! And you also had Alfa Romeos!

But one of the most effective and memorable was "If you see Sid, tell him" for the British Gas share flotation.

Edited to add Alfa Romeo and spelling correction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.