• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubeboy

Once they've been there a while, they can move to another operator. At least it's a foot in the door

Scott M

Once they've been there a while, they can move to another operator. At least it's a foot in the door

Yeah that's very true. :) Still a damn good wage too.

Decided to edit the original post to start the thread on a more positive note haha.

Nick82

Can anyone comment on whats the assessments entail off...(Does it include SJE and MMI), is it the same as TOC's and FOC's

Scott M

Can anyone comment on whats the assessments entail off...(Does it include SJE and MMI), is it the same as TOC's and FOC's

This thread (only 3 pages long) including pretty much everything you'd need to know (as far as I am aware).

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29068

I will try to summarize (but I don't really know what I am talking about when it comes to this stuff so sorry if this sounds wrong):

-Initial interview

-Testing in doncaster - includes:
Dot test, computer based reaction test, multiple choice test, group bourdon test - apparently the basic mechanical test has now been removed

-Immediately after your tests in Doncaster you are taken for another hour-long interview

-Then the interview score is added to the test score, and the top scorers get the training posts (I assume it is only the second interview that counts, the initial one is probably just to qualify for the tests)

But I'd still say that thread is well worth a read if you're interested. :) Has some info on the questions they ask at interview, and as I say I could be wrong in my summary.

Last edited:

Nick82

Many thanks for your reply Scott m, as i expected the tests are the same as i previously attended earlier this year but unfortunately messed up on the last test. I am just wondering with the interviews after the test, if they are Multi Modal interview like with TOC's and FOC's and also will my previous test results count towards my next assessment date if successful in the initial interview?

If anyone could fill me in I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Scott M

Many thanks for your reply Scott m, as i expected the tests are the same as i previously attended earlier this year but unfortunately messed up on the last test. I am just wondering with the interviews after the test, if they are Multi Modal interview like with TOC's and FOC's and also will my previous test results count towards my next assessment date if successful in the initial interview?

If anyone could fill me in I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Somebody in that thread said that his were valid for (I think) two years and counted towards his second application. In his second application he was rejected on the basis of a low score overall (tests + interview). Seemed harsh as I bet he would have retaken the tests had he had the opportunity, as he knew his scores were low.

However he had initially passed all of the tests, so if you didn't pass the final one you may have to take them again.

Not sure with regards to the interview though.

And no problem. :)

RBSN

I'm going to apply for this role. But I do have a question regarding the application form.

Is it more beneficial to print and write my application? or use the digital application? The reason why I ask is that the digital application seems to be protected as I can't write on to it?

Anyone else have this issue, or know how to solve?

Kind regards,

CGS

I'm going to apply for this role. But I do have a question regarding the application form.

Is it more beneficial to print and write my application? or use the digital application? The reason why I ask is that the digital application seems to be protected as I can't write on to it?

Kind regards,

I'm writing mine out - computer seems a pain!

Sammy h

Do they use the same tests for a driver? With the MMI etc? Passed all the tests, but failed the MMI a month or so ago.

So am I right in thinking I can't apply for this due to the six month rule or is this slightly different?

Scott M

Kind regards,

Just had a look through it. I managed to get it so that you could type on it (when you open it in microsoft word, click on the second option - something like 'Open now and merge later' - and then click at the top 'Enable editing'), however it isn't very type-friendly (you can't type inside the grey boxes, for example).

Also the fact that they give you an entire sheet to write something about yourself, and say you have 500 words to do so and can use extra sheets if needed, suggests they intend for you to write it - as microsoft word can easily type 500 words in one page.

However I would phone them up just to be sure! You don't want to cock up on something so simple as whether to write or type it.

I find it interesting how they ask for details of your current salary. I wonder if that is to automatically reject anybody earning more: 'They are just in it because they like trains - they'd miss their old wage and run back to that soon enough'. Can't think of any other reason they'd ask that. :p

Last edited:

Sammy h

There is normally a 'Have you taken the railway assessments in the last six months' question, but I can't see it anywhere so I am hoping they use different assessments and that I can apply.

CGS

There is normally a 'Have you taken the railway assessments in the last six months' question, but I can't see it anywhere so I am hoping they use different assessments and that I can apply.

It is the same tests mate - I've been advised to put in one of the sections I've sat them in the last 6 months so they would check the national database.

Nick82

Need some information regarding the assessments if anyone on here is in the know lol.
I am lead to believe the Traincrew applicants will be sitting the new tests at Doncaster if successful in the interview stage. That means no mechanical comprehension, is this correct and if you have passed some tests, will I still be required to resit them?
Also with the MMI interview i hear they look for key words in your answer, so what do they look for in your MMI answers and what questions do they ask, would be grateful if anyone had some information.

Nick82

Has anyone applied for the traincrew vacancy within Tyne and Wear metro.

Nick82

any news your end and/or any ideas how long successful candidates might hear some news

Fred Dinenage

No news. The job advert stated if we didn't hear by the end of september then consider the application to be unsuccessful. Still a few weeks left to hear from them :D

Last edited:

CGS

Interviews in October and then tests in November apparently.

Gas18

Anybody had a reply yet ? I keep checking my e mails/phone every five minutes!

Ljd87

Hi i am new to the forum. I have applied for the traincrew job for the tyne and wear metro. Does anybody know how they contact you if you have been lucky enough to get an interview?

CGS

Hi i am new to the forum. I have applied for the traincrew job for the tyne and wear metro. Does anybody know how they contact you if you have been lucky enough to get an interview?
Last time it was a letter, I would imagine they will be sent by the end of the month?

Fred Dinenage

Northern, DBS, Freightliner, TPE....had some bad luck with a couple but had a failed assessment day too ( MMI ) and just plain not good enough on others. Also didn't tick the " willing to relocate " box for Freightliner and thus automatically binned. You live and learn, hmm?

You might prove different though, who knows? Good luck to you, good to be excited at the prospect :)

harrysno1dad

It might be worth bearing in mind, last time they advertised they were late sending out the interview letters as it took longer to get through the applications then expected.

That said if I haven't heard anything by the end of September I'll be ringing and checking.

I lost an interview place with FTPE on their recent recruitment drive, by not chasing it up quick enough, I won't be making that mistake again.

Nick82

2 weeks and counting, every day that goes by the more the days pass by the more a stress lol
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anyone had a response to the recent vacancy

Status
Not open for further replies.