• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

Fleetmaster

I'm not sure why you think the T&W Metro is unique. The trains are based on a model first designed for the Berlin U-bahn, which has many of the same characteristics
You oversimplified this a little, for obvious reasons. Having to base the original TW Metro vehicles on stock that has already been evolved from tram stock to make them suitable for tunnels with the eventual goal of replacing them with genuine Metro vehicles on a genuine Metro, even though the TW Metro is not even remotely a tramway, and has never (despite the name) had the goal of becoming a Metro in the sense that term is used in other cities with all the implies about their stock, with elements that are far more Metro/Subway in some respects but squarely Commuter/Regional Rail in others, only shows the pretty unique specification they are meant to be satisfying, both back then, and now. Add to that, ironically, possibly future tram style running (on street, elevated stations), and a probably never even considered at the time a temperature ceiling of 50 degrees, in tunnels, under wires and on concrete or ballast or tarmac, and yes, unique is pretty apt imho.

What will the other costs be out of interest?
As above, such as inspection and reassurance that all that occurred was a bit of unauthorized painting. For the specific reasons given, which mark this out as a different case from the more routine act of how the Metro deals with vandalism of units in their care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvictof

What will the other costs be out of interest?
He is suggesting that if the taggers have the ability to be alone with the train for a minute or so then someone else with that same opportunity would use it to go around sabotaging the train causing a potential accident further on down the line, or just the costs of repair for whatever they damage.
He‘s forgetting of course that trains are not kept under armed guard 24/7 during their service life anyway so it’s pretty pointless to expect the same up until delivery.

Fleetmaster

So your logic is, any company is capable of having a design issue like Hitachi had so you shouldn’t use Stadler, but instead you should used Hitachi…. The company that had the very problems were discussing?
Not at all.
No one is saying that it’s impossible for these new units to have any major problems, but there is no reason to suspect they will.
The latter point being what I find odd.
Even if nexus had any control over stopping the delivery due to concerns, why on earth would they send it back to the factory rather than letting it go to the Stadler maintenance depot that was specifically designed for the trains in question? Any checks that the Factory can do to make sure it’s not compromised from being nearby some taggers for 30 seconds can likewise be done in the Stadler depot in Gosforth by Stadler staff.
Perhaps. Are we assuming that facility is even already fully staffed and equipped? And even if it is, is that any better for the reputation of Stadler, when considering how easy it could have been to ensure the secure delivery of this single unit, with some suggesting (inadvertently I guess) that it could have been as easy as ensuring the unit was never stationary in a dark place (we can surely all agree vandals don't wait at random signals/loops on the main line if their goal is to tag a specific unit). This idea that this was merely thirty seconds of tagging is obviously false, as shown by the size and detail of the vandalism.
And on that subject, if you think that a train being accessible by taggers for a short window means that it is inherently unsafe due to the possibility that said taggers are stepping on things that shouldn’t be stepped on (or perhaps maliciously cutting things that shouldn’t be cut) then that inherently extends to when it is being tested on the T&W metro system over the next few months.
Does it? Ensuring the security of a single unit being tested on the Metro lines is surely no more onerous than ensuring it can be transported from Switzerland to Newcastle in a secure way.
It will be driven into every siding possible and at some point it will be tagged again, probably multiple times, does that mean that every time it gets tagged it should be ”sent back” incase it’s been tampered with?
I'd be quite confident in saying that for a unit undergoing commissioning as the first of its class, yes, both Stadler's Quality Assurance system and Nexus' Health and Safety obligations (and perhaps even the Rail Regulator's own protocols) demand that it be towed back to the depot for inspection (absent any evidence that it is not already in an unsafe condition).

Because just to make you aware, the old metros and soon the new ones, are commonly left for extended periods (often overnight due to possessions) in sidings that can easily be accessed by taggers. This is the environment in which these trains operate, and they can’t be sent back to a factory every time they are outsabled. They Are generally designed in such a way that any external damage (accidental or otherwise) won’t cause them to lose breaking capability and hurtle into the buffers at 80k killing everyone onboard.
And yet you fail to see the difference between this predictable and proven operational setting, where Nexus has an established policy based on the law and engineering experience, and sole responsibility and the time and resources to deal with these realities of operating a railway (noting as we must that the increasing scarcity of serviceable units to cover leading to gaps in service are one of the many things putting pressure on these unit's timely entry into service without any foreseeable delays), and the situation at hand.
I’m not sure what industry you practiced QA in, but clearly it wasn’t rail, as you would know how rail delivery’s occur and the inherent unavoidable possibly of trains being left in places overnight without the protection of automated attack helicopters with lasers and machine guns to destroy anything that comes near.
it was an industry where planning for predictable situations that have potential serious consequences is expected and required. It is an industry where making absurd arguments in your defence to avoid explaining why you failed in your basic legal/regulatory duties, such as Risk Asessment, would get you fired. I know enough about the rail industry to know this is a fair assessment of how things should be working. If they aren't, well, it's not like this country isn't used to having to conduct expensive and lengthy inquiries to conclude people in this country are all too often workshy if not straight up negligent.
And no we haven’t missed your point about the principle of the delivery being messed up meaning the rest of the project probably being messed up, it’s just that it’s a massive over reaction and completely over the top.
It's a sign, nothing more. Inquiries large and small, are necessarily quite used to having to draw inferences from small incidents just like this, to draw a bigger picture.

He‘s forgetting of course that trains are not kept under armed guard 24/7 during their service life anyway so it’s pretty pointless to expect the same up until delivery.
I'm not forgetting it. I've outlined specific reasons why this specific transit warranted higher than "normal" security, and will happily remind people that under normal conditions, armed guards are not considered a reasonable means of securing units against unauthorized access.

Of course, it's only a happy accident of geopolitical history that in this country, being unwise enough to think spray painting a train carriage is a fun way to spend your evening, and choosing your targets based on which units are in the darkest and most remote areas is wise, doesn't dramatically raise the risk of your early death due to the application of legal but potentially fatal force.

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyBin

Established Member
As above, such as inspection and reassurance that all that occurred was a bit of unauthorized painting. For the specific reasons given, which mark this out as a different case from the more routine act of how the Metro deals with vandalism of units in their care.

Ok, and is this likely to carry a significant cost? The unit would receive a thorough going over in any case, surely?

Tcmichael

Are you seriously suggesting I had not considered such a thing? Even if we rather absurdly accept that literally the only cost arising from this security breach, is the literal cleaning of the train.
How is this “absurdly” accepting? Trains operate across tracks all day, everyday. Standing at stations. Stabled in sidings. Stored at depots. All of these is not 100% secure. So the “risk” exists everywhere. All the time. You seem to singling out Stadler for something specific that is as everyday as one of us walks down the street.

Obviously you are totally right - somebody could “tag” the train or even worse, tamper with the train. But this could happen anywhere.

I think you rather enjoy a good debate… and generating strong, contrasting reactions from others to your view. If only you had the intellect and/or even a basic level of industry knowledge to put forward some well informed views :)

Volvictof

Perhaps. Are we assuming that facility is even already fully staffed and equipped? And even if it is, is that any better for the reputation of Stadler, when considering how easy it could have been to ensure the secure delivery of this single unit, with some suggesting (inadvertently I guess) that it could have been as easy as ensuring the unit was never stationary in a dark place (we can surely all agree vandals don't wait at random signals/loops on the main line if their goal is to tag a specific unit). This idea that this was merely thirty seconds of tagging is obviously false, as shown by the size and detail of the vandalism
Yes it is already staffed and equipped.
No it’s not as east as that. To get a train from switzerland to here takes a lot of work and pathing will require it to be left so where overnight at some point.
yes it can take 30 seconds. Have a look online, there are plenty of videos. Just because it looks too extensive to be done quickly to you it doesn’t mean it is… you’re a shining example of the Dunning-Kruger effect here.

I'd be quite confident in saying that for a unit undergoing commissioning as the first of its class, yes, both Stadler's Quality Assurance system and Nexus' Health and Safety obligations (and perhaps even the Rail Regulator's own protocols) demand that it be towed back to the depot for inspection (absent any evidence that it is not already in an unsafe condition).
Well you’d be confidently wrong then.

I know enough about the rail industry
Apparently not.

Fleetmaster

Trains can obviously be tagged in thirty seconds. This one obviously wasn't. Basic physics.

Transporting a train is as simple or complex as your plan makes it. You either plan for a secure transit, or you don't. Nobody here has claimed the train had to be stabled overnight in an unexpected or inherently insecure place (a railway yard is not inherently insecure).

The difference for my purposes between this specific incident and the operation of the railway in general has been explained in great detail. It has yet to be addressed, replies have simply tried to ignore these crucial differences and focus on the general case, which has also already been addressed.

Claimed confidence in industry knowledge would typically come with at least some level of supporting detail that would plausibly explain how a test of any kind could be interrupted by unauthorised access, and would simply resume as if nothing important has happened. It's difficult to imagine any scenario where this particular train at this particular site for this particular phase of commissioning would not be returned to an appropriate location for appropriate checks, namely, the brand new Stadler facility purpose built for this fleet and apparently already fully operational. If anyone thinks different, suggest a plausible alternative. Neener neener doesn't cut it.

Tcmichael

Trains can obviously be tagged in thirty seconds. This one obviously wasn't. Basic physics.
Plenty of videos on you tube that show this is actually a quick process. You cannot justify your views with this argument.

Transporting a train is as simple or complex as your plan makes it. You either plan for a secure transit, or you don't. Nobody here has claimed the train had to be stabled overnight in an unexpected or inherently insecure place (a railway yard is not inherently insecure).
Three sentences and a a whole paragraph here… but you aren’t really saying anything to justify your statements above.

Claimed confidence in industry knowledge would typically come with at least some level of supporting detail that would plausibly explain how a test of any kind could be interrupted by unauthorised access, and would simply resume as if nothing important has happened.
I have over twenty years experience in the industry… so I can say with high confidence… you don’t know what you are talking about

Tcmichael

And yet you are still incapable of giving any details at all.....
I’ve provided lots of details. I think you will find you are the one lacking any detail.

Please try and speak with some kinda knowledge or maybe stop adding to this thread :)

Fleetmaster

I’ve provided lots of details. I think you will find you are the one lacking any detail.

Please try and speak with some kinda knowledge or maybe stop adding to this thread :)
I'll give you the detail you apparently need then, despite already asking twice. Someone claiming to have twenty years relevant experience should have no difficulty explaining what happens when a test is interrupted by a vandal. You've used precisely no words, let alone the ones that someone familiar with a regulated industry or project engineering/QA would be familiar with.

Tcmichael

I'll give you the detail you apparently need then, despite already asking twice. Someone claiming to have twenty years relevant experience should have no difficulty explaining what happens when a test is interrupted by a vandal. You've used precisely no words, let alone the ones that someone familiar with a regulated industry or project engineering/QA would be familiar with.
You still appear to be incapable of asking a clear question…

I am starting to question your sanity. Perhaps you need a break :)

the sniper

Established Member

What test was being conducted which was interrupted while it was in transit? What would need to checked after any member of the public had been in close proximity to the unit, at any point? What checks do you think are performed on any train that the public have potentially had access to, which is essentially permanently a possibility, at any point? Do you not imagine that trains are designed with this inevitability in mind?

What were you on about Hitachi for in relation to any of this?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m thinking we probably need to draw a line under this tangent and find a way of getting back on topic… :)

From this point hence, thou shalt only discuss the topic of:

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler!​

(And we don’t need to go over who should have won it because that train has left the station)

Thanks! :)

ExRes

Established Member
Info on se gen that the next 555 has been delayed in France due to a signallers strike and should come through the tunnel tomorrow, info provided by a reliable source

Class91Joe

Info on se gen that the next 555 has been delayed in France due to a signallers strike and should come through the tunnel tomorrow, info provided by a reliable source
Looks like it should be through the tunnel on this working, 4903 0957 Calais Frethun (Tunnel) to Dollands Moor Sdgs: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:40174/2023-03-07/detailed

There is also a light engine pathed to go from Wembley to Dollands Moor tomorrow afternoon, presumably a DB 66 to drag 555004 back to Wembley. The working is, 0B37 1127 Wembley Receptions 1-7 to Dollands Moor Sdgs: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R03981/2023-03-07/detailed

I'm almost certain 4903 will be the correct path for 555004 through the tunnel, although can anyone confirm this for definite?

DanNCL

Established Member
Looks like it should be through the tunnel on this working, 4903 0957 Calais Frethun (Tunnel) to Dollands Moor Sdgs: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:40174/2023-03-07/detailed

There is also a light engine pathed to go from Wembley to Dollands Moor tomorrow afternoon, presumably a DB 66 to drag 555004 back to Wembley. The working is, 0B37 1127 Wembley Receptions 1-7 to Dollands Moor Sdgs: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R03981/2023-03-07/detailed

I'm almost certain 4903 will be the correct path for 555004 through the tunnel, although can anyone confirm this for definite?
4903 cancelled.

0B37 is a GBRF driver training move.

DanNCL

Established Member
555004 is at Frethun, will come through the tunnel tomorrow morning, then on to Wembley as 7Q42 like last time.

DanNCL

Established Member
Tomorrow’s channel tunnel freight schedule has been uploaded and there doesn’t appear to be any suitable path for the delivery. Unless there’s going to be a late addition to the channel tunnel schedule, I suspect the unit might be staying at Frethun a bit longer.

Most likely 17:25 from Dollands Moor but still awaiting final confirmation hence no further details or RTT link in my original post. Unclear which of Tonbridge or Maidstone it’ll run via; the last one went via Tonbridge but the usual path at that time from Dollands Moor is via Maidstone, so it could run via either we’ll not know until the schedule is uploaded.

All dependent on the channel tunnel move happening as planned, which at the minute is far from certain.

jkkne

As a long time but now thankfully hybrid commuter I’m genuinely thrilled to see this first unit arrive and it’s a real step forward…

However a glance of recent disruption (outside of weather and even ignoring National Rail obligationsw) shows a huge amount of delays down to driver resourcing, infrastructure failures and the ongoing issue of how nexus deal with ill passengers and anti social behaviour.

I’ll admit my confidence in nexus is minimal (from professional and commuter experience) but there has to be a concern all this investment is lipstick on a pig if Nexus screw this up (and they likely will)

DanNCL

Established Member
A VSTP working, train 4903, came through the tunnel about an hour ago. Not 100% sure but believe this is 555004, so it should now be at Dollands Moor.

ExRes

Established Member
1700 0Z54 Kings Norton OTPD to Db Cargo Fan on its way to work 2350 7Q55 to Belmont Down Yard

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
A VSTP working, train 4903, came through the tunnel about an hour ago. Not 100% sure but believe this is 555004, so it should now be at Dollands Moor.
This was 555004. So you can be 100% sure now lol