• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danbarjon

I know people say don't believe everything you see online but TikTok account called @getintonewcastle posted a video about the 555s and I can't help but noticing someone asked when they will first run and the account claims the first one "later this summer", I'm just wondering if this is possible?

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
I know people say don't believe everything you see only but TikTok account called @getintonewcastle posted a video about the 555s and I can't help but noticing someone asked when they will first run and the account claims the first one "later this summer", I'm just wondering if this is possible?
Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Paul_10

I would say almost certainly not, there needs to be extensive daytime testing before we can even think about these trains coming into service and there is no signs of that occuring yet.

DanNCL

Established Member
There is one new unit that is nearly there on its fault free running, so the answer is probably yes.
I did wonder if perhaps, like Glasgow and seemingly also the DLR, the testing could be confined to possessions and not mixed with regular service.

How is training coming along? All good and well there being a unit almost through fault free running but not much use if there’s nobody trained on it!

Volvictof

I did wonder if perhaps, like Glasgow and seemingly also the DLR, the testing could be confined to possessions and not mixed with regular service.

How is training coming along? All good and well there being a unit almost through fault free running but not much use if there’s nobody trained on it!
Training won’t start until after mileage accumulation (daytime testing) begins.

Trestrol

The only drivers passed to drive them are the ones that went to Switzerland to learn. We could be soon in a position of new trains available but nobody to drive them. I am told that once the first units are passed then the rest should follow quite quickly. Mods will be done in Switzerland to trains there to bring them to the spec of the passed ones.

DanNCL

Established Member
Training won’t start until after mileage accumulation (daytime testing) begins.
Isn’t mileage accumulation and fault free running the same thing? In which case, regardless what time of day it takes place, why hasn’t training began? Are Nexus seeking to delay these things further than necessary?

Volvictof

Isn’t mileage accumulation and fault free running the same thing? In which case, regardless what time of day it takes place, why hasn’t training began? Are Nexus seeking to delay these things further than necessary?
I’m not massively up on the terminology so I’m assuming that Trestol is either using the wrong term or is just incorrect, as I also thought they were the same thing. (apologies if this is not the case) My understanding is that the issues with the traction are still being explored but most of the other tests are complete. Regardless for many multilayered reasons (most of which I’m not privy to) training can’t begin until the daytime mileage accumulation has begun. I can think of two possible reasons off the top of my head:

1) acceptance testing needs to have finished so that they know that no part of the train or its software will change which would result in heaps of rules/training material and assessments needing changed and signed off by the relevant regulators and drivers who’ve already gone thru training to be re trained or briefed on the change.

2) resourcing for the training period and the conversion to the new fleet is mind bogglingly complicated (t least for my mind) and once it’s set into motion it pretty much will have to continue. (like pulling the pin an a grenade) it’s planned for exactly how many new trains are going to be in service verses How many converted drivers there are and if drivers are being trained but the new fleet is further delayed, it will create chaos.

Believe me, there is absolute no reason for Nexus to want to delay the new fleet anymore than necessary.

Trestrol

I’m not massively up on the terminology so I’m assuming that Trestol is either using the wrong term or is just incorrect, as I also thought they were the same thing. (apologies if this is not the case) My understanding is that the issues with the traction are still being explored but most of the other tests are complete. Regardless for many multilayered reasons (most of which I’m not privy to) training can’t begin until the daytime mileage accumulation has begun. I can think of two possible reasons off the top of my head:

1) acceptance testing needs to have finished so that they know that no part of the train or its software will change which would result in heaps of rules/training material and assessments needing changed and signed off by the relevant regulators and drivers who’ve already gone thru training to be re trained or briefed on the change.

2) resourcing for the training period and the conversion to the new fleet is mind bogglingly complicated (t least for my mind) and once it’s set into motion it pretty much will have to continue. (like pulling the pin an a grenade) it’s planned for exactly how many new trains are going to be in service verses How many converted drivers there are and if drivers are being trained but the new fleet is further delayed, it will create chaos.

Believe me, there is absolute no reason for Nexus to want to delay the new fleet anymore than necessary.
They are the same thing just my terminology was askew. If I am correct they have enough drivers to operate one train for a whole day, remember that's about 05:00 till after midnight but that's it.

Volvictof

They are the same thing just my terminology was askew. If I am correct they have enough drivers to operate one train for a whole day, remember that's about 05:00 till after midnight but that's it.
Understood. But nope not enough drivers yet, in fact there are none trained yet.