• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danbarjon

I know people say don't believe everything you see online but TikTok account called @getintonewcastle posted a video about the 555s and I can't help but noticing someone asked when they will first run and the account claims the first one "later this summer", I'm just wondering if this is possible?

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
I know people say don't believe everything you see only but TikTok account called @getintonewcastle posted a video about the 555s and I can't help but noticing someone asked when they will first run and the account claims the first one "later this summer", I'm just wondering if this is possible?
Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Paul_10

I would say almost certainly not, there needs to be extensive daytime testing before we can even think about these trains coming into service and there is no signs of that occuring yet.

DanNCL

Established Member
There is one new unit that is nearly there on its fault free running, so the answer is probably yes.
I did wonder if perhaps, like Glasgow and seemingly also the DLR, the testing could be confined to possessions and not mixed with regular service.

How is training coming along? All good and well there being a unit almost through fault free running but not much use if there’s nobody trained on it!

Volvictof

I did wonder if perhaps, like Glasgow and seemingly also the DLR, the testing could be confined to possessions and not mixed with regular service.

How is training coming along? All good and well there being a unit almost through fault free running but not much use if there’s nobody trained on it!
Training won’t start until after mileage accumulation (daytime testing) begins.

Trestrol

The only drivers passed to drive them are the ones that went to Switzerland to learn. We could be soon in a position of new trains available but nobody to drive them. I am told that once the first units are passed then the rest should follow quite quickly. Mods will be done in Switzerland to trains there to bring them to the spec of the passed ones.

DanNCL

Established Member
Training won’t start until after mileage accumulation (daytime testing) begins.
Isn’t mileage accumulation and fault free running the same thing? In which case, regardless what time of day it takes place, why hasn’t training began? Are Nexus seeking to delay these things further than necessary?

Volvictof

Isn’t mileage accumulation and fault free running the same thing? In which case, regardless what time of day it takes place, why hasn’t training began? Are Nexus seeking to delay these things further than necessary?
I’m not massively up on the terminology so I’m assuming that Trestol is either using the wrong term or is just incorrect, as I also thought they were the same thing. (apologies if this is not the case) My understanding is that the issues with the traction are still being explored but most of the other tests are complete. Regardless for many multilayered reasons (most of which I’m not privy to) training can’t begin until the daytime mileage accumulation has begun. I can think of two possible reasons off the top of my head:

1) acceptance testing needs to have finished so that they know that no part of the train or its software will change which would result in heaps of rules/training material and assessments needing changed and signed off by the relevant regulators and drivers who’ve already gone thru training to be re trained or briefed on the change.

2) resourcing for the training period and the conversion to the new fleet is mind bogglingly complicated (t least for my mind) and once it’s set into motion it pretty much will have to continue. (like pulling the pin an a grenade) it’s planned for exactly how many new trains are going to be in service verses How many converted drivers there are and if drivers are being trained but the new fleet is further delayed, it will create chaos.

Believe me, there is absolute no reason for Nexus to want to delay the new fleet anymore than necessary.

Trestrol

I’m not massively up on the terminology so I’m assuming that Trestol is either using the wrong term or is just incorrect, as I also thought they were the same thing. (apologies if this is not the case) My understanding is that the issues with the traction are still being explored but most of the other tests are complete. Regardless for many multilayered reasons (most of which I’m not privy to) training can’t begin until the daytime mileage accumulation has begun. I can think of two possible reasons off the top of my head:

1) acceptance testing needs to have finished so that they know that no part of the train or its software will change which would result in heaps of rules/training material and assessments needing changed and signed off by the relevant regulators and drivers who’ve already gone thru training to be re trained or briefed on the change.

2) resourcing for the training period and the conversion to the new fleet is mind bogglingly complicated (t least for my mind) and once it’s set into motion it pretty much will have to continue. (like pulling the pin an a grenade) it’s planned for exactly how many new trains are going to be in service verses How many converted drivers there are and if drivers are being trained but the new fleet is further delayed, it will create chaos.

Believe me, there is absolute no reason for Nexus to want to delay the new fleet anymore than necessary.
They are the same thing just my terminology was askew. If I am correct they have enough drivers to operate one train for a whole day, remember that's about 05:00 till after midnight but that's it.

Volvictof

They are the same thing just my terminology was askew. If I am correct they have enough drivers to operate one train for a whole day, remember that's about 05:00 till after midnight but that's it.
Understood. But nope not enough drivers yet, in fact there are none trained yet.

ModernRailways

Established Member
As Volvictof says, they do not have any drivers trained. The only drivers who are trained are those who are part of the new fleet team and are carrying out the testing and will assist in creating documentation and training material.
I am unsure on how long the training and conversion process will take for drivers, but it will likely be around a week at minimum, so this will be a very lengthy process alone (likely lasting a good 6 months or more)

Volvictof

As Volvictof says, they do not have any drivers trained. The only drivers who are trained are those who are part of the new fleet team and are carrying out the testing and will assist in creating documentation and training material.
I am unsure on how long the training and conversion process will take for drivers, but it will likely be around a week at minimum, so this will be a very lengthy process alone (likely lasting a good 6 months or more)
Just to add to this; I believe the new fleet team will have to undergo fleet transition training just the same as every other driver as they will have to follow the correct training to be able to carry passengers. They may not even be the first to do it. I think it’s looking to be 3 weeks training. Slated to take more than a year to go thru everyone.

hacman

Posts are now appearing on the Metro social media channels advising that daytime testing of the class 555 fleet is starting!

Paul_10

I’ve seen that too. As far as I know though there still haven’t actually been any daytime test runs.

I think you mentioned in the past there is a TRB in place between Longbenton and Chillingham Road(?) for daytime testing so that could be where we may see the first daytime tests taking place?

That said wasn't it reported back in January daytime testing was quite close, maybe the fact it's on the metros social media now could be a promising sign hopefully.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Always worth noting that Metro/Nexus have previously posted similar to social media advising people not to board and to keep clear but then there a few issues cropped up putting a stop to those plans.
Hopefully this is a sign that daytime testing is imminent.

DanNCL

Established Member
It’s a relief to see 005 finally out during the day. Only what, a year late? But better late than never!

Can anyone confirm timings and if/when it’ll be out later in the week?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Out this afternoon st james - gosforth. I did comment yesterday but the post was removed…
It has also been through the city centre core, unsure where it ended up south of the river, probably just down to Pelaw but I have seen photos of it at Monument.

kez19

Established Member
There is info on the nexus site: https://www.nexus.org.uk/new-metro-fleet-testing

Testing our new fleet

The next step in the process of getting our new train fleet into service is testing on the Metro network during the day.

The trains are regularly out testing during the night, but now you might also see them out on Metro tracks in daylight hours.

This is an exciting time for Metro but, although the trains will stop, please do not attempt to board them as they are not in customer service.

Further info: https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/new-metro-trains-begin-daytime-test-runs-network

15 May 2024
Metro customers are getting their first chance to see the new trains out on the system as daytime testing gets underway – marking a new major milestone for the £362m programme.
This the next significant step in getting the new Stadler trains ready to enter service later this year.
The daytime testing began at 2pm today, Wednesday 15 May, when a new Metro train operated in the gaps between timetabled services provided by the current fleet on Metro’s coastal route between Newcastle and North Tyneside.
It allows for a process known as kilometre accumulation, putting the trains through their paces by simulating customer service, and follows a detailed testing phase which has been talking place during the night.
The public will be unable to get on board the new trains at this stage. Special netting has been fitted to each set of doors to prevent anyone getting on should the train stop at a station. Announcements will also be made over the public address system and Nexus employees will be in the carriages to advise customers the train is in test.
Stadler, the Swiss train manufacturer, are building 46 new Metro trains, which are set to herald a new era of comfort, quality and reliability. Two more new trains arrived in April, bringing the total number now delivered up to seven.
Stadler has now built 23 new Metro trains, half of the total order it is delivering for Nexus.
North East Mayor, Kim McGuinness, said: “The North East deserves the best public transport system. I have promised to deliver the best connected and greenest network in the UK and that’s exactly what we’ll do.
“Our region’s new £362m fleet will be transformational by improving comfort and reliability for the people who use the Metro every day to travel to work or to get to school or college.
“It’s great to see testing underway today thanks to a lot of hard work by the team at Nexus.
“We’ll make sure an improved service is up and running as soon as possible.”
Michael Richardson, Head of Fleet and Depot Replacement at Nexus, said: “We’re excited to have our first new trains in daytime testing on the network, which will give customers a chance to see them for the first time.
“This marks a new milestone in our £362m Metro Fleet programme. It’s a big step forward as we continue to get the first few trains ready for customer service.
“We will be working closely with Stadler during the daytime test runs, with the new train slotted in between other timetabled services.
“Customers are going to see the new trains on different parts of the network. Unfortunately, they won’t be able to get on board at this stage as it’s still in the live testing phase. Special signage will be attached to every set of doors to advise people the train is under test and that they can’t board the carriage.
“Testing the new trains is the most complex and challenging part of what is the biggest project we’ve undertaken since the Metro system was first built.
“There is great attention to detail. It’s very much like the testing that a car manufacturer undertakes when it’s preparing to unveil a new model. The trains need to be put through their paces to ensure that they are ready for day to day customer service.”
Patrick Küng, project manager for Stadler, said: “Our next stage of testing will be focused on kilometre accumulation, during which trains must run without faults affecting service longer than three minutes over significant distances, in order stress-test the overall reliability of the units. This ultimately enables Stadler to supply trains with high levels of reliability, enhancing the passenger experience.”
Testing the Stadler Class 555 Metro trains includes 90,000 individual checks. This had previously been taking place overnight when the Metro network is closed. It covers everything from seats and windscreen wipers, to more big-ticket items like brakes, CCTV, doors, wheels, and power supply.
There are approximately 19,000 hours of training time, with the first few trains completing 37,000 kilometres of running, as part of the testing phase.
There are around 22,000 standards and clauses to comply with and 480 staff to train up.
Testing is there is to ensure that the new trains work safely and seamlessly with Metro’s 60 stations and 77 kilometres of track.
All of the on-board customer information systems need to be checked and be working correctly, along with the emergency settings and fail-safe systems.
Power consumption, ride quality, and performance reliability are all being scrutinised thoroughly.
This started with some basic functionality testing within the depot and the first trains started to be tested on our Nexus network in May 2023.
It involves the same level of detail that a big car manufacturer undertakes when bringing a new model to the market, Nexus said.

I’m visiting too, I’ll keep an eye out tomorrow (doubt I’ll see it).

DanNCL

Established Member
It has also been through the city centre core, unsure where it ended up south of the river, probably just down to Pelaw but I have seen photos of it at Monument.
Photo was monument p4 I think. Plan is to turn them in sidings at gosforth. Also every weekday for the foreseeable all day…
I’ve seen photos from Northumberland Park, Cullercoats, Chillingham Road, St James and South Gosforth. It’s definitely done a full trip round the coast, and has either then done a trip to Pelaw or it’s returned to Gosforth from Manors via the empty stock line.

With a bit of luck 005 could be available for passenger service in four weeks. Nexus drivers permitting of course.
That’ll be brilliant if it is! A token Regent Centre - Airport shuttle to start with or would it likely be straight into full diagrams?

Also how close are we to other units being ready to begin daytime testing? Particularly thinking 004 must be close by now?