• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittle

Was in St Enoch food court in Glasgow, wore mask had to sign card ie name/email/phone number for trace/protect (track/trace), then on leave say name and table I sat at... I admit I am visiting til Friday but I am finding this whole experience more authoritative than being pleasant, even on train down it was more of a paranoia effect settled in one carriage to be told to move as they needed it for space for next stop plus platform being shorter (4 in my carriage alone) I’m usually confident going about but this is having a negative effect on me. I wonder if I attempted Newcastle in November I’ll get the same experience train/place...

the train experience I’ll give it 5/10
Glasgow so far 6/10 (masks everywhere)

That seems extreme, I'm in Fife and my track and traces have been giving my info to a staff member (who all but once handed me the pen and paper....which I don't know I think it makes sense to encourage everyone to handle the pen and paper) or scan a QR code/website and enter in my location. I've never had to sign or specifics on where I was. Just a case of "ahh welp, if someone here has it the whole place is a hotbed and expect a call soon".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
That seems extreme, I'm in Fife and my track and traces have been giving my info to a staff member (who all but once handed me the pen and paper....which I don't know I think it makes sense to encourage everyone to handle the pen and paper) or scan a QR code/website and enter in my location. I've never had to sign or specifics on where I was. Just a case of "ahh welp, if someone here has it the whole place is a hotbed and expect a call soon".

The thing was I entered the food court got asked if I was staying in the place (wasn’t sure) initially said look round then decide but got handed paper pen to then put in box, I did notice the scan codes more in Glasgow (from Dundee here, plus haven’t much ate in places like McDonald’s so experience has thrown me off). Don’t get me wrong I understand this but I just found it uncomfortable, where back in March it was more normal but today didn’t like it, guess from tomorrow I might feel a bit at ease but I ain’t holding out on that one!

I am tech savvy but these Scan/QR codes I don’t follow/understand I have seen on boards say open camera scan code but with what? I’m guessing that I may have to install these apps that both UK/Scottish Governments speak of (just don’t feel comfortable with that either), yet irony I have no issue with Google and other map apps

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The thing was I entered the food court got asked if I was staying in the place (wasn’t sure) initially said look round then decide but got handed paper pen to then put in box, I did notice the scan codes more in Glasgow (from Dundee here, plus haven’t much ate in places like McDonald’s so experience has thrown me off). Don’t get me wrong I understand this but I just found it uncomfortable, where back in March it was more normal but today didn’t like it, guess from tomorrow I might feel a bit at ease but I ain’t holding out on that one!

I am tech savvy but these Scan/QR codes I don’t follow/understand I have seen on boards say open camera scan code but with what? I’m guessing that I may have to install these apps that both UK/Scottish Governments speak of (just don’t feel comfortable with that either), yet irony I have no issue with Google and other map apps
Your camera will scan it and give you drop down to hit and it takes you to a website

Richard Scott

Established Member
But on the other hand. IF one person carried Covid into the UK, it has now spread & caused 41,600 deaths. So maybe not such a poor analogy after all. Yes, there is a chance the virus may not spread as exponentially as it first did (especially if we're careful) or spread among different segments of the population not as vulnerable.

Unfortunately, the anti mask strain of argument on this thread is generally quite one sided & therefore unbalanced. Very quick to round on opposing opinion but not very critical of their own side. I know these are frustrating times, but balance is needed & I think the best route is to follow the best advice on this issue.
No, there wasn't a person X who started it all off, sure that was disproved a while back. Secondly those deaths are people who died with it, not necessarily from it. Many of those who did die from it were not in a good state anyway and, in all honesty, were not long for this world anyway - generally not the type you get jetting off around the world.

Scotrail12

The St Enoch centre is somewhere to avoid at the moment - they're way too strict there for my liking and it ends up being stressful. Found other places far more pleasant whilst still COVID secure.

Never had so much hassle trying to buy a McDonalds...

I actually find Glasgow at the moment far nicer than when I visited London in July, basically nothing was open there. At least there is a bit of life in Glasgow.

trebor79

Established Member
No, there wasn't a person X who started it all off, sure that was disproved a while back. Secondly those deaths are people who died with it, not necessarily from it. Many of those who did die from it were not in a good state anyway and, in all honesty, were not long for this world anyway - generally not the type you get jetting off around the world.
I remember reading an article 2 months or so ago. They had done some generic research and concluded that covid had been brought into the UK by at least 1,400 people.
Apparently it's possible to construct a "family tree" for the virus as there are slight mutations in the RNA over time, and by following those mutations you can work out who infected who (if you've got enough samples) and determine virus hereditary lines.

kez19

Established Member
The St Enoch centre is somewhere to avoid at the moment - they're way too strict there for my liking and it ends up being stressful. Found other places far more pleasant whilst still COVID secure.

Never had so much hassle trying to buy a McDonalds...

For me today I was just trying to look round hadn’t been in there in ages let alone Glasgow (McDonald’s was just an example just used Greggs) I agree on that the guy I got was strict and the amount of them around was off putting, think next couple days will just use other places but it’s one way of turning people away!

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Not directly - but indirectly they certainly can.
With a virus where infections grow exponentially if left to its own devices, it only takes one person to ultimately infect a large number if the conditions are right.
The number of people who brought COVID-19 into the UK in the first place will be small - but look at the effect it has had.
Yet when my partner and I returned from Australia in April, no temperature checks, mandatory quarantine or indeed any measure applied. We travelled by tube into central London and thence to our home station by train...

farleigh

Yet when my partner and I returned from Australia in April, no temperature checks, mandatory quarantine or indeed any measure applied. We travelled by tube into central London and thence to our home station by train...
Well you could have done those things yourself if you felt they might help??

Journeyman

Established Member
So if I enter let’s say McDonald’s and that’s at the door I just open camera, scan and nothing more?

If you have a reasonably up to date smartphone, yes. You'll get an option to open the link. Older phones sometimes needed a separate QR code app.

kez19

Established Member
If you have a reasonably up to date smartphone, yes. You'll get an option to open the link. Older phones sometimes needed a separate QR code app.

That’s fine thank you I rather do that then than sign up to apps! (Costa Coffee had this code)

island

Veteran Member
So if I enter let’s say McDonald’s and that’s at the door I just open camera, scan and nothing more?
What will typically happen is that you scan it and your phone prompts you to open a website. You will on that website need to specify your name and phone number, and possibly some particulars about how long you are staying for. and that is that.

AdamWW

Established Member
What will typically happen is that you scan it and your phone prompts you to open a website. You will on that website need to specify your name and phone number, and possibly some particulars about how long you are staying for. and that is that.

I think the QR code just gives a URL, which will also usually be in plain text on the sign for you to type in manually should you choose.

You then give full name and phone number.

The sort of thing you'd generally end up giving if you reserved a table somewhere.

I wonder how many people get upset when they reserve a table in a restaurant and their name and mobile number are written down in a book that other people could see?

Bantamzen

Established Member
I think the QR code just gives a URL, which will also usually be in plain text on the sign for you to type in manually should you choose.

You then give full name and phone number.

The sort of thing you'd generally end up giving if you reserved a table somewhere.

I wonder how many people get upset when they reserve a table in a restaurant and their name and mobile number are written down in a book that other people could see?

QR codes can contain allsorts. They could have links, they could retrieve data, display text or pass information to an app. In the case of these apps it could just be storing information to the app, business, time & date etc. I haven't looked into the exact working of the proposed app, so I am guessing a bit here.

Scrotnig

It is all an excellent incentive to never go near any pubs. I will not participate in this mass data-capture exercise.

When all the pubs start going bust, pressure will be put on the government by the industry, and then we might see this change.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When all the pubs start going bust, pressure will be put on the government by the industry, and then we might see this change.

No, we won't. A lot of pressure is being put on the Government by the remaining industries that can't reopen (entertainment, primarily) and it is being ignored.

If we don't support the pubs they will close and turn into blocks of flats. Gone forever purely for a point of personal principle. I would say you should swallow your pride, download the app and go to the pub.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm in Scotland where the tracing app is live. That thing will go on my phone over my dead body, but I'll supply my contact details if asked. It's a small price to pay.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I'm in Scotland where the tracing app is live. That thing will go on my phone over my dead body, but I'll supply my contact details if asked. It's a small price to pay.
If the app is seen as a possible invasion of your privacy, take a look at this legislation https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/973/made?view=plain
The Coronavirus (Retention of Fingerprints and DNA Profiles in the Interests of National Security) (No. 2) Regulations 2020
Statutory Instruments
2020 No. 973
National Security
Made
at 2.54 p.m. on 10th September 2020
Laid before Parliament
at 4.00 p.m. on 10th September 2020
Coming into force
1st October 2020
The Secretary of State makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by section 24(2), (4) and (8) of the Coronavirus Act 2020(1).
The Secretary of State, in accordance with section 24(3) of that Act, considers that coronavirus is having, or is likely to have, an adverse effect on the capacity of persons responsible for making national security determinations to consider whether to make, or renew, national security determinations and that it is in the interests of national security to retain the fingerprints or DNA profiles as provided for in these Regulations.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I'm rather unclear what on earth that has to do with Coronavirus and thus why, if it's important, it hasn't gone a different route.
It’s all part of misusing ‘emergency powers’ to bring in all sorts of legislation without parliamentary scrutiny. But, hey, this amendment received wide publicity at the time. Not.

Scrotnig

If we don't support the pubs they will close and turn into blocks of flats. Gone forever purely for a point of personal principle. I would say you should swallow your pride, download the app and go to the pub.
Nope. I'm not so fond of pubs that I'm willing to compromise my privacy and freedom to appease a hysterical mob.

Whilst I'd prefer them not to close, if that's the price of freedom and privacy then so be it.

None of this was my idea. Like any business, if it changes to become something I don't enjoy then I'll stop using it.

Same reason I refuse to go in shops now. I'll have stuff delivered. Food from the sipermarkets, other stuff frm Amazon or anyone else who can provide me with what I want without having to wear a mask (which I can't do).

HSTEd

Veteran Member

Pubs can be rebuilt, freedom cannot.

jumble

But on the other hand. IF one person carried Covid into the UK, it has now spread & caused 41,600 deaths. So maybe not such a poor analogy after all. Yes, there is a chance the virus may not spread as exponentially as it first did (especially if we're careful) or spread among different segments of the population not as vulnerable.

Unfortunately, the anti mask strain of argument on this thread is generally quite one sided & therefore unbalanced. Very quick to round on opposing opinion but not very critical of their own side. I know these are frustrating times, but balance is needed & I think the best route is to follow the best advice on this issue.

Covid has not caused 41,000 deaths or any where near.
The 41000 figure is those who had a positive test and died from something in the next 28 days
The true figure of how many people died from Covid alone is not something the authorities care to share even in estimate form

AdamWW

Established Member
The true figure of how many people died from Covid is not something the authorities care to share even in estimate form

Is that really true?

I thought I'd seen figures for deaths with Covid on the death certificate. Now I know that's not necessarily the same as "died of Covid" but it's also not just people who had a positive test in the previos 28 days.

35B

Established Member
Nope. I'm not so fond of pubs that I'm willing to compromise my privacy and freedom to appease a hysterical mob.

Whilst I'd prefer them not to close, if that's the price of freedom and privacy then so be it.

None of this was my idea. Like any business, if it changes to become something I don't enjoy then I'll stop using it.

Same reason I refuse to go in shops now. I'll have stuff delivered. Food from the sipermarkets, other stuff frm Amazon or anyone else who can provide me with what I want without having to wear a mask (which I can't do).
Just read that in the cold light of day. You won't go to a pub that asks for information from you that you have to give for the deliveries you order because you won't wear a mask that you don't actually have to wear anyway. Really?

Domh245

Established Member
Covid has not caused 41,000 deaths or any where near.
The 41000 figure is those who had a positive test and died from something in the next 28 days

You're right. Using the more accurate (but delayed) ONS figures, COVID was at least involved in (if not directly responsible for) 51,818 deaths so far in the UK as of the week ending 4th September

Status
Not open for further replies.