• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Units with a front passenger view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
As for blinds (if fitted) I'm not sure if I'd have them up or down given the choice.

I suppose it would depend how you where feeling. Feeling good, dressed smart, and happy. You would have them up. Feeling a bit depressed/tired, looking messy after a long shift/overlaying then down

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Decapod

I loved the old DMU's with a view out to the front, and recently I rode on one on a preserved railway and it reminded me how nice it is to watch the track ahead.

But actually only 3 or 4 people on the train get a good view of the line ahead - those in the front row behind the cab, except for someone sitting directly behind the driver! And perhaps those in next the couple of rows get something of a view too, if the seats have low backs, as on most DMU's.

I can understand that the driver might not like people staring at the back of his neck, so it's fair enough to block the view from behind his seat, but on the right-hand side surely it would be nice to allow a view ahead - assuming the DMU isn't fitted with corridor cabs like many are today!

Welshman

Established Member
I can remember a conversation with a driver on the Cl110s when they were introduced on the Calder Valley line in 1962 saying that although he'd lower the blind behind him during darkness to stop reflections from the train behind, he would deliberately leave the blind on the right-hand side up, as he liked the company.
Bears-out what strange6 was saying a while ago in another thread about ex-steam drivers missing having someone in the cab with them.

The_Rail_WAy

Did they stop it to prevent the trains from getting the same 'back seat' culture that the buses had, and indeed still do have.

Closest you will get to experiencing that now would be on a motorail service at a heritage line such as the Llangollen.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Did they stop it to prevent the trains from getting the same 'back seat' culture that the buses had, and indeed still do have.

Closest you will get to experiencing that now would be on a motorail service at a heritage line such as the Llangollen.

Motorail service on the Llangollen? :lol:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Indeed you can! You can see out sitting at the rear of the train as well. Lets hope the Metro keep this view for the future!

I'm sure they will, as far as I am aware there are no plans to replace the current stock. I'm just never lucky enough to bag the front seat aprt from journies starting from St. James!

HST Power

Established Member
I'm sure they will, as far as I am aware there are no plans to replace the current stock. I'm just never lucky enough to bag the front seat aprt from journies starting from St. James!

When I take the Metro I normally start at Callerton Parkway, the first stop on the route for trains heading to South Hylton. I can usually get a front seat. I've almost covered the whole Metro route, I've just go to complete the Gateshead-Chichester stretch. Might go up next summer.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I normally use it twice a day, but thats just between Haymarket and Central on my way to/from work and every now and then from North Shields to Newcastle

The_Rail_WAy

Oh! I don't know....your original idea of Motorail does have a lot of tourist potential in it as taking cars off part of the North Wales roads for part of the route.

I bet the Welsh Assembly will go for this in a big way:D:D

Haha I cold just imagine :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.