• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

University (Birmingham) Station Rebuild

ABB125

Established Member
What are your thoughts on it being complete in time for the games?

I've stopped commuting daily to University daily now, but my layman's feelings weren't feeling too positive towards the end.
It won't be finished. Though of course it has been reported on here by those "in the know" that it was never meant to be finished in time. Whilst I have no reason to doubt that, I do wonder when and why this became the stated position, because I'm absolutely certain that maybe 5 years ago finishing in time for the games was the plan.
Well, if the trains aren’t running because of strikes it’s going to be rather academic!
:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

centraltrains

It won't be finished.
Ah thank you! Last I heard was that it was meant to open as a incomplete space for use as a holding-pen the day before the games (think that was said on BBC Midlands Today in an interview with Andy Street near the start of the year)!

I can't bear to imagine what it will be like for games-goers with the current station. Back when I had to be in for a 9am lecture pre-covid, when coming from the rear of a 6-car train, it would take 7-12 minutes of queuing to exit the station if they didn't open the barriers!

ABB125

Established Member
Ah thank you! Last I heard was that it was meant to open as a incomplete space for use as a holding-pen the day before the games (think that was said on BBC Midlands Today in an interview with Andy Street near the start of the year)!
That may still be the case - all I know is that there will still be work ongoing after the games.

city dweller

What are your thoughts on it being complete in time for the games?

I've stopped commuting daily to University daily now, but my layman's feelings weren't feeling too positive towards the end.

The quote below if from the Transport Delivery Committee part of the WMCA

Since the scheme was agreed in July 2020, several scope changes have been implemented to further enhance the station, including significant security enhancements and additional passenger facilities. Some of these changes introduced additional schedule pressure, but will deliver an improved station environment for passengers and meet higher standards of design and durability, which will offer long-term safety and reliability benefits.
Despite these impacts, and the additional delays incurred as a result of COVID-19, Brexit, and supply chain disruption, we have worked with our partners and contractors to find innovative, efficient ways to accelerate the programme to mitigate the delays and the resultant cost impacts.
Taken together, these elements have resulted in a new baseline EAC of £65.03m, which includes further provision for an interim state for the Commonwealth Games. Investing in project acceleration has helped to avoid further costs which would otherwise have emerged as a result of programme prolongation.
Thanks to the successful acceleration in delivery we have also been able to maintain a similar completion date to that set out in our Full Business Case, whilst delivering a significantly enhanced scheme. The bulk of construction work is due to finish by July 2022, and in line with the commitments we made 18 months ago, some elements of the new development will be made available for use during the Commonwealth Games:
- Widened platforms
- Full length platform canopies
- Public realm

DavidGrain

Established Member
Perry Barr station has been rebuilt in time for the Games. I have not yet had a chance to see it. The difference is that they closed Perry Barr for the rebuild which they were not able to do with University.

fandroid

Established Member
I was there today and it still looks far from complete, although safety has been dramatically improved with the platform widening. Vincent Drive is as bad a mess as it ever was (made even worse for a while by the station works)

Last edited by a moderator:

ABB125

Established Member
Bit of an update:
This is what the widened platform areas look like. The original platform width is (approximately) marked by the horrible join in the tarmac (look at where the old lighting column is):
IMG_20221209_173543794.jpg
Station is due to be finished "spring 2023", about £14million over budget (so £50million total) and somewhat late...

This earthing bond on the new canopy is quite chunky! Also seems to be excessively sized, compared to the bolt through which any current will also have to flow:
IMG_20221209_173221245.jpg
Though I suppose there's only a short length of bolt, so the higher resistance probably won't be an issue? (And how much of the cable thickness is insulation, given that it (I assume) is designed for 25kV AC?)

Fun facts: the canal bridge and university side steps/ramp, as well as the "public realm" on the hospital side, will be maintained by the university because of contractual reasons. So, the canal bridge has its own plant room, supplied from university infrastructure, as well as being earthed to the university, not the railway. Plus, over half the station is bombproof...

fandroid

Established Member
Fun facts: the canal bridge and university side steps/ramp, as well as the "public realm" on the hospital side, will be maintained by the university because of contractual reasons. So, the canal bridge has its own plant room, supplied from university infrastructure, as well as being earthed to the university, not the railway. Plus, over half the station is bombproof...
The new public realm on the hospital side was previously staff parking for the university, so it's no surprise that they should retain ownership. Remember that the original University station was squeezed into the tiny amount of land in railway ownership, with some sort of deal to have access onto the existing university access road that crosses the canal.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The new public realm on the hospital side was previously staff parking for the university, so it's no surprise that they should retain ownership. Remember that the original University station was squeezed into the tiny amount of land in railway ownership, with some sort of deal to have access onto the existing university access road that crosses the canal.

Thread reopened to allow @centraltrains to provide an update.

ABB125

Established Member
Last post over a year ago; since then, very little has changed (on the outside at least). Note that in my post #217 above (following a site visit), the station was due to be open in "spring 2023". That clearly happened! :D

On the plus side, it does look like most of the interior fit-out is now complete. I'll see if I can get some pictures next time I'm there.

Mordac

Established Member
I never see anyone working there and I go through there most days. It wouldn't surprise me if the Camp Hill Line stations opened before this, even with the naughty badgers.

ABB125

Established Member
I never see anyone working there and I go through there most days. It wouldn't surprise me if the Camp Hill Line stations opened before this, even with the naughty badgers.
I can't recall the last tube I saw any workers at the site either...
(Of course, that's not to say that no work is happening. But that's certainly the impression one gets when passing through!)

centraltrains

Just to link to the following article from ORR stating that the station has been approved to be opened! (At last!!)

ORR gives approval for enhancements at University station, Birmingham, to open​

17 January 2024
The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) has authorised two new station buildings and other significant enhancements at University railway station in Birmingham, allowing them to enter into service.
Cover Image
Photo of the rail link bridge and new station building at University station

Body

Components
This is a key milestone on the way to getting the station open in the next few weeks.
Linking the two new station buildings is an accessible rail link bridge, and there are new signage, lighting, CCTV and other systems throughout.
ORR previously authorised other upgrades to University, including wider and longer platforms, to allow them to enter into service ahead of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
ORR’s authorisation confirms that the project has met standards covering health and safety, accessibility, environmental protection, technical compatibility, and reliability and availability.
ORR has worked with the funders, the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) from the outset of the project to guide them through the authorisation process, ensuring that important checks and surveys are carried out.
ORR’s authorisation is an important step in improving rail connectivity and the passenger experience, improving access to the University of Birmingham and Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The upgrades will see the station’s capacity increase. Originally designed to accommodate half a million passengers per year, figures published by ORR show that over 2.6 million people used the station in 2022-2023.
ORR authorises new railway stations like University station as part of its duty to authorise infrastructure and rolling stock that are new or have had a major upgrade or renewal.
Dermot Kelly, Head of Civil Engineering at ORR, said:
This is a significant upgrade which helps Birmingham and the West Midlands provide improved access for some of the region’s most important institutions.

We’re pleased to have played our part in getting the station ready to open. Our team worked alongside the WMCA to advise them on the authorisation process, just as we do for new trains and infrastructure across the country.
Transport for West Midlands (TfWM), is the transport arm of the WMCA.
Kate Trevorrow, Rail Delivery Director with TfWM, said:
With the authorisation from the ORR we have completed a critical step on the way to the finish line for the University Station buildings.
We are now making final preparations and look forward to opening in the near future.
University station sign
Side of University station building with Network Rail, Transport for West Midlands, University and University of Birmingham logos
Photo of both new station buildings and the rail link bridge, with a view along the tracks.

ABB125

Established Member
Just to link to the following article from ORR stating that the station has been approved to be opened! (At last!!)

Wow! It might actually open after all! :D

Do we know when the opening date is/will be?

thomalex

It certainly is, although the artist's impression makes it look absolutely enormous! Does it really need that much interior height?

Probably not, but why not. A bit of extra height will add little to the overall cost yet provide a more impressive space. It’s good to see some ambition.

They need to save these plans are build a few more around the country. Stevenage and Peterborough I’m looking at you.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I don't recall the artist's impressions but I would mention that on the university side the ground level is much lower than the Vincent Drive side so does require more internal height for an open plan building.

Mordac

Established Member
I can't recall the last tube I saw any workers at the site either...
(Of course, that's not to say that no work is happening. But that's certainly the impression one gets when passing through!)
Well I'm going to have to eat my words because I just drove past in Vincent Drive and saw three blokes in high viz behind the hoardings doing something, though I couldn't tell what.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is it known if the existing entrance and footbridge remain in use when this new building opens?

Edvid

Established Member
The new build is quite similar to Brent Cross West. Much as I'd have liked the station to be sorted when I was there for the 2022 Games (who didn't?), it's better late than never.