• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual objects carried onto trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie_5542

Has anyone seen any passengers travelling on a train with unusual objects, for example fish tanks or large surfboards. Has anyone charged them the appropriate fare for these items as per the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Anyone been refused travel with such items?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I recently saw someone wheel a full-sized internal house door onto a train on a small parcel trolley. It was a DOO service, but they did somehow get past the gatelines.

Monty

Established Member
Has anyone seen any passengers travelling on a train with unusual objects, for example fish tanks or large surfboards. Has anyone charged them the appropriate fare for these items as per the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Anyone been refused travel with such items?

Thanks

The most unusual article of luggage I've ever come across is only a body panel from a car, though as someone has mentioned a door I have seen a passenger travelling with an external window frame. I can't ever remember charging passengers for an accompanied animals and articles supplement though, in hindsight however I don't think I could remember how to do it if I felt the inclination! ;)

Prairie_5542

The most unusual article of luggage I've ever come across is only a body panel from a car, though as someone has mentioned a door I have seen a passenger travelling with an external window frame. I can't ever remember charging passengers for an accompanied animals and articles supplement though, in hindsight however I don't think I could remember how to do it if I felt the inclination! ;)

If you use Tribute it's under AAA. I have charged someone a £10 fee for having one more dog than allowed. She had three dogs. You are only allowed 2 free according to NRCC.

:p

cuccir

Established Member
Slightly tangential but completely true: I once carried a live goose on a bus for about 45 minutes. But I was given it to hold by the driver, rather than bringing it on myself.

It's a long story....

island

Veteran Member
If you use Tribute it's under AAA. I have charged someone a £10 fee for having one more dog than allowed. She had three dogs. You are only allowed 2 free according to NRCC.

:p

Month uses Avantix Mobile.

Prairie_5542

Month uses Avantix Mobile.

That £10 was for going to London I must add. It's about as near as a child or just under of the adult fare.

If someone had just bought a frozen chicken from the shop, would they need a ticket??!!! LOL!! :o

Prairie_5542

In the NRCC it states 'animals must be conveyed in a fully enclosed basket or pet carrier'. I know that these would be for cats, but what else are they allowed to carry as 'animals' can mean any animal!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
A young girl student with a full size double bass which she tethered in the bicycle area in a 170. Don't know if she had to pay for it.

Muzer

Established Member
I've carried four 2m-long lengths of aluminium L-section once, on a rather quiet 444 from SOA to BSK. Got some funny looks.

EM2

Established Member
I've carried an 8'x4' sheet of plywood in the guards area of a 121(?) from Slough to Windsor.
And I've seen a guy get on a 319 with two barstools. I know they get busy, but... :D

Yew

Established Member
I've carried an 8'x4' sheet of plywood in the guards area of a 121(?) from Slough to Windsor.
And I've seen a guy get on a 319 with two barstools. I know they get busy, but... :D

To be fair, If i had a commute without a seat, I would consider taking a little camping stool :D

Be3G

Established Member
The NRCoC state that ‘dangerous goods; inflammable liquids; explosives’ are banned, but doesn't go in to any more details.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I was on a train in China where a fellow passenger had a live chicken in a cloth bag!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In the NRCC it states 'animals must be conveyed in a fully enclosed basket or pet carrier'. I know that these would be for cats, but what else are they allowed to carry as 'animals' can mean any animal!

The basket or cage must also be of appropriate size - so no Tigers in cat carriers I'm afraid... though saying that, a Tiger would count as a non-domestic animal and thus is prohibited anyway!

sheff1

Established Member
I was on a train in China where a fellow passenger had a live chicken in a cloth bag!

Well, if we are talking foreign travel then, as well as chickens, I have witnessed live goats and snakes, gas cylinders, double mattresses and more. Of course, in the countries concerned, such objects would not be considered unusual at all :)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Well, if we are talking foreign travel then, as well as chickens, I have witnessed live goats and snakes, gas cylinders, double mattresses and more. Of course, in the countries concerned, such objects would not be considered unusual at all :)

On another train in China the lady sitting next to me had a plastic bowl with a live Turtle inside for her tea!

Ploughman

Established Member
On a journey for work between Telford and home at York.
I had to carry a new corridor diaphragm rubber, probably for a 319 or similar.
Trying to get through New St was fun.

I was working for BREL York at the time and we needed one from the manufacturer to get a new unit out that night.
Fortunately I had the magic green ticket. All Stations Duty pass All regions.

Prairie_5542

On a journey for work between Telford and home at York.
I had to carry a new corridor diaphragm rubber, probably for a 319 or similar.
Trying to get through New St was fun.

I was working for BREL York at the time and we needed one from the manufacturer to get a new unit out that night.
Fortunately I had the magic green ticket. All Stations Duty pass All regions.

Please could you elaborate more about this, what you could do etc. Thanks.

Established Member
I'm sure you could describe some passengers as 'unusual objects'...

I did once see one lad at Darlington trying to get onto a Pacer with two amps, two guitar cases and what was probably part of a drum kit underneath a dust sheet, all by himself. Took up quite a bit of the bicycle area, wasn't charged more by the guard.

34D

Established Member
I once took two commercial vehicle batteries inside a suitcase on a GNER mark 4 set.

8J

Paint is prohibited on Arriva busses in Merseyside. There are signs clearly stating this. Not sure about other bus operators or train operators, but it is flamable...

I've also seen a MAHOOOSIVE dog on merseyrail services, it is so big, it cannot fit within the rather large bike area on a 507/8. Plus it stinks the carriage out!! :( It has slobbered on a large number of people, I'm suprised nobody has complained :)

steamybrian

Established Member
I've carried an 8'x4' sheet of plywood in the guards area ... :D

We have pre-planned carrying a 8 X4 sheet of plywood on the Spa Valley Railway. Man living in Groombridge drives to Homebase in Tunbridge Wells which is next to Tunbridge Wells West station. Orders the sheet of plywood but could not get it in his car. Staff from Homebase ring the railway and ask if we can convey it by rail so we agreed. Homebase staff then trolley said sheet of plywood to the station and load it in the guards van of the next train. Owner of the wood then drives to Groombridge station where he meets the next train with his wood stowed in the guards van accompanied by a member of railway who helps convey sheet to his house nearby. The railway received a nice donation for "delivery charge".

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Not on a train, but I remember years ago when I was a bairn my Mam went to take my Dad his bait while he was at work. He asked my Mam to take home a white tub with a lid on. My Mam thought it was painting gear, never noticed the holes that had been punched in the top. She said OK and took it home on the bus. During the journey strange noises started emminating from the tub. A wet slapping noise, rumblings and then a long series of load croaks. Turns out (shortly before they were banned from sale) he had bought some Bull Frogs for the Pond. My Mam's never been so embarrased!

dvboy

Established Member
Just before Christmas a passenger took five bags and a vacuum cleaner on a train from Birmingham to Glasgow. She was asked twice to move her luggage away from the external doors and was warned both times that she could be charged £5 for each item additional item after the first two.

Aside from that, surfboards on the Newquay branch, probably to be expected.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've taken an occasional table on the District line and on SWT. Got some funny looks changing at Wimbledon, and some advice on how to 'antique' it on the tube...
Paint is prohibited on Arriva busses in Merseyside. There are signs clearly stating this. Not sure about other bus operators or train operators, but it is flamable...

Probably more due to the mess which would result from dropping or spilling it- both for the train and other passengers! Most paint isn't flammable.

millemille

A young girl student with a full size double bass which she tethered in the bicycle area in a 170. Don't know if she had to pay for it.

About 7 years ago there used to be young woman who would regularly be squeezing herself and a double bass case onto extremely busy 313's at Hornsey heading into Moorgate in the morning peak.

I was on an away day with senior management from FCC and HSBC Rail UK (to discuss the next 12 months plans for HSBC leased FCC operated fleets) around the same time and the 313 fleets and their overcrowding was being discussed, along with solutions such as shoehorning in an extra carriage liberated from the unused 508's, and I suggested to the FCC Engineering Director that finding the double bass carrying person and having a word would be a good 1st step to easing overcrowding.

Never saw her again after that......

Status
Not open for further replies.