• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Progress, Approval, and Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
If not already called by GP, 44 year olds can now book on NHS vaccinations site

40-43 year olds expected to be added to NHS website in next few days, once they have checked vaccine availability.

Correction : Anyone 43 (and becomes 44 by 30th June) included

HSTEd

Veteran Member
They must be expecting an explosion in vaccine availability then!

Snow1964

Established Member
They must be expecting an explosion in vaccine availability then!

At the weekend was reported that two thirds of 45-50 had been vaccinated

Every year group added is about 700,000 people, but as some will have already been done (medical, carer, vulnerable etc) probably nearer 550,000 outstanding.

Rates of vaccine vary, and population age profile varies (some towns have more retired than 40 somethings etc) so some areas will clear a year group in 2 or 3 days.

However it was announced beginning of Easter that vaccine supply was going to be tight for 2-3 weeks, then lots more were expected late April, so presumably these are coming through now.

Some days the combined 1st and 2nd dose has been over 600,000 per day, (but tends to be nearer 400,000 on Sunday and Monday) so when supplies good could get through 3m+ doses per week.

DelayRepay

Established Member
My colleague who is 43 booked her vaccine on Monday and had it yesterday. I am 41 so expecting the booking site to open for me this week.

I guess the other factor is we are now well into the age groups where lots of people won't be able to go on weekdays due to work etc. So I guess they'll add more age groups to fill up the weekday slots while people who want a weekend appointment will have to keep checking the website.

joncombe

Some sites at least offer appointments into the early evening. So for those working that will be an option for some.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I had mine after 17:00 and I think they were carrying on some time into the evening.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I think many employers, certainly mine, are releasing people for jabs. Not all can or will, but many can and will.

Simon11

Established Member
I think many employers, certainly mine, are releasing people for jabs. Not all can or will, but many can and will.
This was what I was thinking- my employer wouldn't batter an eye lid about this and more concerned if people didn't take up the vaccine as it may impact business.

DelayRepay

Established Member
This was what I was thinking- my employer wouldn't batter an eye lid about this and more concerned if people didn't take up the vaccine as it may impact business.
Yes, my employer is. But I do know people who've not been released from work. I guess it depends on the nature of the job and level of decency of the employer.

brad465

Established Member
Looks like winter boosters for the most vulnerable are well planned with this order of 60 million Pfizer doses:

An extra 60 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid vaccine have been ordered by the UK government as it puts together plans for a vaccination booster programme in the autumn.

It brings the total number of Pfizer doses ordered by the UK to 100 million.

The expectation is that the most vulnerable groups will be offered another jab before next winter.

Nearly two-thirds of UK adults have received one dose of a Covid vaccine with a quarter having had two.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock told a Downing Street briefing the booster programme would "keep us safe and free here while we get this disease under control across the world".

The government said the additional Pfizer jabs will be used alongside other Covid vaccines for the booster programme.

david1212

Established Member
Looks like winter boosters for the most vulnerable are well planned with this order of 60 million Pfizer doses:

Presuming a single dose that is more than enough for everyone down to the age of under 10.

Early days but what about all who have had the Astrazeneca vaccine? I wonder what research is ongoing regarding the mixing of vaccines ?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
If it's a booster maybe it doesn't matter if it is the same or not?

Excellent photo opportunity duly taken by Mr Hancock today in having his jab given by Professor Van Tam.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
My GP (covering Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, Handforth and Chelford) is going to deliver second doses this week of the Pfizer vaccine to those given their first dose on 9 and 11 January. In terms of first doses they're currently vaccinating those aged 55 and over. They expect to receive 1200 doses of the Pfizer vaccine and 800 doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine this week.
My quote above from 23 March, things have progressed.

My first vaccination was on 18th. February; I have today received my invitation for my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine and have booked it for the first possible appointment next Thursday, 6th. May. 77 days or 11 weeks between the two doses. I am 59 but in the group of individuals "all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality" because of a stroke in 2013.

EDIT I now see the official guidance as: (https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...vaccination-programme-FAQs-on-second-dose.pdf)
What is the second dose interval period?

The agreed dose interval period is set at 77-84 days as outlined in the Chief Medical Officer’s letter. Vaccine will be supplied for second dose clinics to take place 11 weeks post first dose clinics, so that the 12-week time period between doses is achieved.

Can clinics be scheduled early to vaccinate outside of the interval period?

Clinics should not schedule second dose appointments earlier than 77 days post the first dose, unless there are exceptional circumstances, as this is not in line with the agreed dose interval.
....so my GP is right on the money, as it were.

EDIT - Second dose administered as scheduled this morning, the production line at my GP seems to be going well. 77 days and 30 minutes after the first vaccination.

FURTHER EDIT - 24 hours after the second vaccination I have minor pain in my arm at the injection site, but no other obvious side-effects, pretty much the same as happened 77 days ago after the first vaccination

Last edited:

Cdd89

Established Member
It now appears that the new cut-off age for the AstraZeneca vaccine will be 40, which will impact all future age groups yet to be eligible to receive the vaccine. However this is contingent on the pace of the rollout not being delayed, implying that spending more time unvaccinated while waiting for the 'right' vaccine would be dangerous.

At this point, a bit of me thinks we would be better off just going the US way and letting people pick their vaccine. The process of "vaccinating the vulnerable to protect the NHS" is now over, nobody who hasn't yet received the vaccine is at high risk of hospitalisation; the herd immunity benefits are conferred regardless of whether an 18 year old or a 39 year old receives the jab, and so if that results in 18 year olds being vaccinated before 39 year olds because they are less choosy then who cares (fundamentally).

WelshBluebird

Established Member
nobody who hasn't yet received the vaccine is at high risk of hospitalisation
I wouldn't be so clear cut saying that.
For the vast majority of people you are correct of course.
But there are a number of people who are at a higher risk of hospitalisation who haven't had the jab yet - mostly people with underlying health issues whose GP hasn't put them forward to be eligible yet. As I said I know this will be a much smaller number than the overall group of people who are at risk (who are mostly of an older age), but those people do exist and some GPs have been utterly atrocious in dealing with them (I mean some GP's are awful at the best of times if you have a chronic health condition, so it isn't too surprising that they are also being difficult in this situation too).

Domh245

Established Member
At this point, a bit of me thinks we would be better off just going the US way and letting people pick their vaccine. The process of "vaccinating the vulnerable to protect the NHS" is now over, nobody who hasn't yet received the vaccine is at high risk of hospitalisation; the herd immunity benefits are conferred regardless of whether an 18 year old or a 39 year old receives the jab, and so if that results in 18 year olds being vaccinated before 39 year olds because they are less choosy then who cares (fundamentally).

With near enough all of our domestic AZ production (the only doses we're getting) being tied up in second doses at the moment, it'd be surprising if there was any real speeding up by allowing under-40s to pick and choose what vaccine they get (or rather, if they were allowed to take AZ at their own decision).

All the relevant people are still confident of meeting the end of July deadline

Bantamzen

Established Member
I wouldn't be so clear cut saying that.
For the vast majority of people you are correct of course.
But there are a number of people who are at a higher risk of hospitalisation who haven't had the jab yet - mostly people with underlying health issues whose GP hasn't put them forward to be eligible yet. As I said I know this will be a much smaller number than the overall group of people who are at risk (who are mostly of an older age), but those people do exist and some GPs have been utterly atrocious in dealing with them (I mean some GP's are awful at the best of times if you have a chronic health condition, so it isn't too surprising that they are also being difficult in this situation too).
Well the data doesn't support that, and frankly if GPs & consultants are not making sure those vulnerable haven't been offered a jab yet are not doing their job. Nonetheless the risk for vulnerable people has been reduced massively, so maybe its time to move away from the "but what if" narrative?

takno

Established Member
I finally got my vaccine appointment in Scotland. They've assigned me to a drive-through only centre, which is a bit useless since I don't have a car. The website for rebooking would be a lot more handy except that none of the centres have any availability at all at any point. I'm reluctant to just let my slot go (which presumably means that anybody trying to rebook into a drive-thru centre remains out of luck), and don't especially want to cancel for now. Not really sure what to do.

Quite jealous of how much better-run the English system seems to be

johncrossley

Established Member
My quote above from 23 March, things have progressed.

My first vaccination was on 18th. February; I have today received my invitation for my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine and have booked it for the first possible appointment next Thursday, 6th. May. 77 days or 11 weeks between the two doses. I am 59 but in the group of individuals "all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality" because of a stroke in 2013.

EDIT I now see the official guidance as: (https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...vaccination-programme-FAQs-on-second-dose.pdf)

....so my GP is right on the money, as it were.

EDIT - Second dose administered as scheduled this morning, the production line at my GP seems to be going well. 77 days and 30 minutes after the first vaccination.

FURTHER EDIT - 24 hours after the second vaccination I have minor pain in my arm at the injection site, but no other obvious side-effects, pretty much the same as happened 77 days ago after the first vaccination

Mine is booked for 76 days after the first.

DelW

Established Member
I finally got my vaccine appointment in Scotland. They've assigned me to a drive-through only centre, which is a bit useless since I don't have a car. The website for rebooking would be a lot more handy except that none of the centres have any availability at all at any point. I'm reluctant to just let my slot go (which presumably means that anybody trying to rebook into a drive-thru centre remains out of luck), and don't especially want to cancel for now. Not really sure what to do.

Quite jealous of how much better-run the English system seems to be
Can you go by taxi? I realise there's a cost to that, but I had a drive-through flu jab last year and it was very quick (I think I was only stationary for a minute or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.