• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaping on Trains and vaping in general

johntea

Established Member
I have a 'refillable' rechargable one that cost £25 in the sense you replace the pod / mouthpiece every couple of weeks or so for £4, vape shops sell a billion liquids in 10ml bottles 4 for £10 includng all the popular 'Elfbar' flavours so kids will probably just move on to them (I guess one slight advantage is schools or parents can 'confiscate' them and it'll hurt slightly more in the pocket of a child than a £4 disposable)

Doubt it will affect the many corner shops from their side business of 6000 puff vapes under the counter although I can see a lot of vape shops vanshing as a result, by a huge margin their main business today seems to be...disposables in a shift from several years ago with the fancy kits and big bottles of juice

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Archvile

Cigarettes, as I'm sure everyone is aware by now, are addictive and cause cancer. The addictive component is caused by nicotine, but the carcinogenic component is tar. Nicotine, by itself, does not have major heath effects aside from the usual problems caused by addiction in general.

Nicotine is the major driver of atherosclerosis, via hypertension.

Fermiboson

Nicotine is the major driver of atherosclerosis, via hypertension.
And of course, inhaling smoke in general is bad for your respiratory system in multiple other ways, and many of the flavours and sweeteners used may also be harmful when inhaled. I’m certainly not insinuating that nicotine is harmless, and it is hopefully obvious that putting things in your body that weren’t designed to be put in your body is unhealthy, and that addiction in and of itself is quite crippling. Apologies for not making that clearer.

The point, however, does stand: vaping is far, far less lethal than smoking will ever be.

jon0844

Veteran Member
As I said, I don't have a problem with people vaping if they know what they're inhaling, but I am certain there will be a future scandal relating to the import and sale of dodgy chemicals.

And comparing with smoking isn't necessarily relevant as it should be vaping vs not vaping.

Vaping to wean people off cigarettes is fine, but the industry and gazillions of vape shops isn't about doing any of that now, if it ever was.

Fermiboson

As I said, I don't have a problem with people vaping if they know what they're inhaling, but I am certain there will be a future scandal relating to the import and sale of dodgy chemicals.

And comparing with smoking isn't necessarily relevant as it should be vaping vs not vaping.

Vaping to wean people off cigarettes is fine, but the industry and gazillions of vape shops isn't about doing any of that now, if it ever was.
There is, in fact, already such a scandal (some e-cigarette manufacturers in the US had put cannabis among other things in their products in 2020, leading to a series of deaths). Which is why it’s all the more essential that there is a legitimate sales channel to be regulated.

I agree that the industry is not about weaning people off cigarettes (after all, most vapes are run by tobacco companies themselves!) but that is a statistical side effect of wider availability of vapes.

Mikey C

Established Member
Vaping doesn't bother me. I don't mind the sickly sweet smells unless I'm right next to the vaper, and for a period of time.

Children vaping is a massive no no though. And the environmental waste of precious materials is a disgrace too.

1D54

So a young generation, many have probably never touched a cigarette are now addicted to nicotine.. Guess where they will turn!

1D54

Australia said the same prior to banning the disposable variety.

Benjwri

Established Member
So a young generation, many have probably never touched a cigarette are now addicted to nicotine.. Guess where they will turn!
Non disposable vapes?

In reality for many vaping is a gateway to cigarettes, or some very powerful nicotine gum. That’s just the way addiction works.

JD2168

As an ex smoker of 1290 days and counting is vaping a real issue on public transport?

I travel several hundreds of miles per week by train and can’t say I’ve seen or whiffed it very often, if ever really.

More of a problem I find on Buses than Trains. Quite often when I am on a bus someone is Vaping during the journey. When I caught a CrossCountry Train to Birmingham a couple of weekends ago there was someone Vaping during the journey.

Benjwri

Established Member
There's no real evidence across hundreds of studies for the gateway effect, not just for smoking but for drugs in general.
Did not mention drugs as a whole, but what I will say is I know an awful lot of people who started vaping and now use cigarettes, or nicotine gum.

Regardless vapes themselves are not being banned, if someone can get hold of a disposable cape they’ll be able to get hold of a refillable one.

sprunt

There is, in fact, already such a scandal (some e-cigarette manufacturers in the US had put cannabis among other things in their products in 2020, leading to a series of deaths).

Do you have a reference for this?The lethal dose of THC (the active ingredient in cannabis) is regarded as so high that it can't easily be reached.

Can people overdose on cannabis?
Not easily. Scientists estimate that the lethal dose of THC, the active ingredient of the drug, is somewhere in the range of 15-70g. That is far beyond the daily consumption of even the most enthusiastic user.

The problem with the cannabis vapes wasnt the cannabis itself but dodgy additives that where used since it was unregulated. If people try to drive tobacco vaping undeground you will get the same thing

LBMPSB

Do you have the same kind of opinion on people who drink alcohol on trains? I'd rather sit next to a person vaping than a person drinking.
Being intoxicated on a train goes against the Railway Bye Laws, and nothing is done about that. Is vaping in the Railway Bye-laws yet or is it left to TOCs to make up their own rules?

LUYMun

whats wrong with vaping then?

Thought it was better than smoking?
Vaping or smoking makes no difference when it is essentially exhaling smoke in a mostly-enclosed environment. I recently had the displeasure of travelling on a bus in Guildford going past the university and getting the strong smell of strawberry-flavoured vape.