• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Varamis Rail Given Operators Licence from ORR

Steddenm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
I'm not really sure who they are but they promise an all-electric freight fleet, but show an image of a Class 365 on their Twitter banner.

Because they plan to use the Class 365 (or at least did) as an express freight unit.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Re their tweet - I hope their ability to operate locos is more reliable than their ability to spell!

fgwrich

Established Member
Because they plan to use the Class 365 (or at least did) as an express freight unit.
I have a feeling they were originally due to use the 365s for High Speed Parcels work, before switching to join the 321 Swift Program? So far the first few runs have been GBRf Operated, but presumably this could switch to Varamis Rail.

pdeaves

Established Member
Re their tweet - I hope their ability to operate locos is more reliable than their ability to spell!
I think the tweet reads like someone excited to be able to play trains, rather than a serious business. I hope that is a temporary aberration and all will run properly from now on.

DelW

Established Member
Especially as it was spelt correctly four times on the page copied into the announcement.

ExRes

Established Member

What precisely have they not been able to spell? presumably you mean licence/license but if you intend to mark the difference between English and American on this or any other site you've a big job ahead of you, starting with the OP of course

Last edited:

Brian1947

For an official statement I find the use of the English language more like how Del Boy would have pronounced it.

Perhaps they‘ll be millionaires this time next year!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
As ROG (Orion) went from claiming it was going to start a nationwide parcel service to withdrawing from the market completely very quickly Varamis getting a licence doesn’t guarantee any trains will run. Hopefully they will but it is clearly a market with a lot of obstacles to overcome to be able to operate a service profitably.

Mollman

Established Member
As ROG (Orion) went from claiming it was going to start a nationwide parcel service to withdrawing from the market completely very quickly Varamis getting a licence doesn’t guarantee any trains will run. Hopefully they will but it is clearly a market with a lot of obstacles to overcome to be able to operate a service profitably.
Have they officially withdrawn?

Roast Veg

Established Member
I think the tweet reads like someone excited to be able to play trains, rather than a serious business. I hope that is a temporary aberration and all will run properly from now on.
This is standard for social media managers today, nothing to do with the operational team. Some of the most professional and hard working organisations have someone dedicated to pasting emojis on LinkedIn.

uww11x

Always nice to see more potential freight on the railway. However this express parcel trend we are going through doesn't seem the most successful. Orion and Swift don't seem to have got going

D365

Veteran Member
Always nice to see more potential freight on the railway. However this express parcel trend we are going through doesn't seem the most successful. Orion and Swift don't seem to have got going
Some are quietly working away in the background. Others are posting emojis ;)

Christmas

Retired ScotRail driver had their medical last week with Veramis so things are going in the right direction.

Winthorpe

Looks like the Varamis Rail freight service starting running last week. Apparently it runs between Scotland and the Midlands, Monday to Friday.

Some good news.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Can anyone clarify where in Scotland and/or Midlands they run, please? Link to (e.g.) RTT paths? Thanks.
Usually these two per day via Bescot and Bushbury Jn

1M04 1818 Mossend Down Yard to Birmingham International​

1S04 0055 Birmingham International to Mossend Down Yard​

Efini92

Established Member

Why are they running as class 1?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Post Office mail trains (class 325) are class 1 and operate at 100mph.
Aren't these essentially repurposed class 321s of similar spec?

Efini92

Established Member
Oops I didn’t realise they ran as class 1 either. I thought they ran as class 3’s

zwk500

Veteran Member
Why are they running as class 1?
Class 1 is defined as (from Wikipedia)
  1. Express passenger train; nominated postal or parcels train; breakdown or overhead line equipment train going to clear the line (headcode 1Z99); traction unit going to assist a failed train (1Z99); snow plough going to clear the line (1Z99)
I guess Varamis don't want their trains getting confused with ECS moves (certain ECS moves run as class 3) or seasonal trains
325s were new-build rather than repurposed, and IIRC it's 319s they're based off (despite the networker cab). But yes, they are essentially passenger units just fitted out differently.

Scotrail88

Rather quick turnaround - don’t imagine it’s heavily loaded just now

IndianPacific

Hmmm, journey time isn't much quicker than a truck would do it. There are a few parcel firms with depots near Mossend, but I do wonder how many parcels they're sending to Birmingham, and how many of them could / would want to commit that by 6pm. A lot of parcel trucks are loose loaded (parcels just stuffed in to the trailer, not on to roll cages) and they get to a depot, dump their outbound trailer and pick up their in-bound one. This proposal seems to be adding extra steps for not much benefit.

I'd love to see more parcel traffic on the railway (like the Royal Mail services from Shieldmuir) but not sure this is an operationally efficient option.

E.g. DPD have a depot in Eurocentral (so ten minute drive to Mossend), and one of their super hubs is in Hinkley (30 / 40 minutes from Birmingham). DPD are probably big enough to just buy some natural gas (maybe one day electric) trucks and remove any environmental arguments that the railway puts forward. Why would they look at this? Or who is the customer supposed to be?

Long story short, this feels like a solution looking for a problem.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Hmmm, journey time isn't much quicker than a truck would do it. There are a few parcel firms with depots near Mossend, but I do wonder how many parcels they're sending to Birmingham, and how many of them could / would want to commit that by 6pm. A lot of parcel trucks are loose loaded (parcels just stuffed in to the trailer, not on to roll cages) and they get to a depot, dump their outbound trailer and pick up their in-bound one. This proposal seems to be adding extra steps for not much benefit.

I'd love to see more parcel traffic on the railway (like the Royal Mail services from Shieldmuir) but not sure this is an operationally efficient option.

E.g. DPD have a depot in Eurocentral (so ten minute drive to Mossend), and one of their super hubs is in Hinkley (30 / 40 minutes from Birmingham). DPD are probably big enough to just buy some natural gas (maybe one day electric) trucks and remove any environmental arguments that the railway puts forward. Why would they look at this? Or who is the customer supposed to be?

Long story short, this feels like a solution looking for a problem.
Railway terminal is being planned at Hinckley.

Speed43125

Have they officially withdrawn?
Probably another (existing?) thread is the right place for this, but I understand that ROG considered an 8 car train a requirement for the service to be viable and they couldn't find enough custom to fill that. Varmis, at least for now, seem content to operate single 4 car units.