• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Various consultations on the May 2022 East Coast Mainline timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There was an item on BBC Radio 4 'Today' around 08:50 when (just) Roger Ford was interviewed although it came across as a bit vague and low key really.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
And Roger Ford of Modern Railways has also tweeted similar, quoting DFT sources
He says
A DfT spokesperson said: ‘We have agreed that the planned introduction of the May 2022 East Coast main line timetable change will not go ahead. It is vital that the views of passengers and local leaders are heard and reflected in the timetable.

‘This decision ensures the lessons of May 2018 are learned, enabling the industry to conduct a full review of its readiness and resolve outstanding issues identified by the industry assurance group.

‘The industry will also focus on delivering an improved, achievable new timetable, which fully considers the consultation responses by passengers and local stakeholders and delivers reliable services on the East Coast.’

DfT added that it expected the industry to ‘return with proposals that could be implemented in 2023, to ensure passengers see the benefits of the East Coast upgrade’.
When have they ever taken any notice of local leaders let alone passengers or is this the new face of GBR.

Established Member
If the timetable change is to be postponed, how will Reston now be served?
Reston will be served:-

In addition, from December 2021, we are planning to introduce our inaugural Middlesbrough services. We will also introduce our inaugural Reston services – as soon as that new station is ready – and are working to introduce our new Huddersfield service as soon as possible.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

In addition, from December 2021, we are planning to introduce our inaugural Middlesbrough services. We will also introduce our inaugural Reston services – as soon as that new station is ready – and are working to introduce our new Huddersfield service as soon as possible.
I think that was a poor wording on my part, I knew it would be served (hardly a political coup for it to be delayed until the new timetable in 2023), but it was more how it would be accomdated if none of the changes proposed in the future timetable were being implemented until 2023.

Established Member
I think that was a poor wording on my part, I knew it would be served (hardly a political coup for it to be delayed until the new timetable in 2023), but it was more how it would be accomdated if none of the changes proposed in the future timetable were being implemented until 2023.
Quite simply they will insert it I'm to existing services. Think it was only 3 services each way per day.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ah, I thought it was 4 or 5 (mostly XC vice Dunbar and 1 LNER call)

A quick glance at the post December services on RTT, the only LNER service I can see with an unadvertised call is the late evening Aberdeen - Leeds train

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It won't be (primarily) served by an existing service.

SuperNova

Are LNER a bit delusional with Huddersfield given TRU and the station rebuild. Doubt it will happen until the late 2020's at the earliest.

Established Member
Are LNER a bit delusional with Huddersfield given TRU and the station rebuild. Doubt it will happen until the late 2020's at the earliest.
Well it certainly would be late 2020 at very earliest as they need to restart route learning again as any training done has now lapsed.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Why? It's only extension of a single early and late service that can be easily started/terminated at Leeds in the case of planned works.

Killingworth

Established Member
From TPE this morning

"A statement issued by the DfT states: "We have agreed that the planned introduction of the May 2022 East Coast Main Line timetable change will not go ahead. It is vital that the views of passengers and local leaders are heard and reflected in the timetable. This decision ensures the lessons of May 2018 are learned, enabling the industry to conduct a full review of its readiness and resolve outstanding issues identified by the industry assurance group. The industry will also focus on delivering an improved, achievable new timetable, which fully considers the consultation responses by passengers and local stakeholders and delivers reliable services on the East Coast."

We will provide details on what this means for December ’21 and May ’22 timetables once this is confirmed."

Must be a nightmare trying to manage the current situation!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A quick glance at the post December services on RTT, the only LNER service I can see with an unadvertised call is the late evening Aberdeen - Leeds train

There's a morning 0725.5-0727.5 call by the 0622 LNER NCL-EDB as well.

So that's the two LNER calls (one each way), presumably the XC calls simply haven't been finalised and it will be as per pre-postponed May 2022 TT with the other calls being by XC.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There's a morning 0725.5-0727.5 call by the 0622 LNER NCL-EDB as well.

So that's the two LNER calls (one each way), presumably the XC calls simply haven't been finalised and it will be as per pre-postponed May 2022 TT with the other calls being by XC.

Why do I hear the trumpeting of elephants in the background? And what's that white tin of paint doing there?

DanNCL

Established Member
LNER have sent out a customer email confirming what was already revealed to the media and staff.

From TPE this morning

"A statement issued by the DfT states: "We have agreed that the planned introduction of the May 2022 East Coast Main Line timetable change will not go ahead. It is vital that the views of passengers and local leaders are heard and reflected in the timetable. This decision ensures the lessons of May 2018 are learned, enabling the industry to conduct a full review of its readiness and resolve outstanding issues identified by the industry assurance group. The industry will also focus on delivering an improved, achievable new timetable, which fully considers the consultation responses by passengers and local stakeholders and delivers reliable services on the East Coast."

We will provide details on what this means for December ’21 and May ’22 timetables once this is confirmed."

Must be a nightmare trying to manage the current situation!
I hope they don’t use this as an excuse not to provide an hourly service at Chester-le-Street.

James90012

Would allow time for the 221s to be released from Avanti and arrive at CrossCountry to boost capacity too which was one of my main concerns with all the extra calls XC were expected to make.

takno

Established Member
LNER have sent out a customer email confirming what was already revealed to the media and staff.

I hope they don’t use this as an excuse not to provide an hourly service at Chester-le-Street.
They're not making the timetable changes. I can't see any reason to think that doesn't include changes at Chester le street

DanNCL

Established Member
They're not making the timetable changes. I can't see any reason to think that doesn't include changes at Chester le street
I would assume it will surely, given the TT change is postponed?
I don’t think it will exclude the changes at Chester le Street, that’s why I’m unhappy about it. It is possible to include hourly stops at Chester le Street in the current timetable, and it would not be unreasonable to expect Transpennine Express to endeavour to do so despite the full recast being postponed.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don’t think it will exclude the changes at Chester le Street, that’s why I’m unhappy about it. It is possible to include hourly stops at Chester le Street in the current timetable, and it would not be unreasonable to expect Transpennine Express to endeavour to do so despite the full recast being postponed.
There always seems to be a reason why, I never assume anything is that straightforward - it's the railway, is anything ever straightforward? ;)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There always seems to be a reason why, I never assume anything is that straightforward - it's the railway, is anything ever straightforward? ;)

One example: Is timetable planner workload better focused on finding a temporary 12 month "bodge" for Chester-le-Street, or sorting it properly for May 2023?

DanNCL

Established Member
One example: Is timetable planner workload better focused on finding a temporary 12 month "bodge" for Chester-le-Street, or sorting it properly for May 2023?
There doesn’t need to be any bodge. The existing TPE schedules for the services that run non stop to Durham have sufficient time between Newcastle and Durham to allow a Chester le Street stop without causing any delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.