• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin beer offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
[Mod note - split from this thread]

Give VTEC time - it will soon become a clone of the West Coast version. There are already some noticeable changes in that direction. The first class lounges for one are not as good as they were. Won't be long before the snack box appears at weekends and the Speckled Hen gets replaced by some cheapo Argentinian cat pee masquerading as lager.

You are aware that Bitter is cheaper than lager, right? I appreciate that VTWC serve you a full size bottle, whereas EC/VTEC give you a tiny can. And, if you're going to serve real ale, you may as well do it properly- that being in a bottle if not a pint glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
As for the beer, I rarely have cause to travel on VTWC these days so I 'm genuinely interested to see whether this is decent. If it's a good session ale with a nice hoppy taste, then perhaps we might taste it on the East Coast?

It's not a bad ale. Brewed by Redwillow of Macclesfield but it isn't a 1st class offering - you will have to trek down to the shop and buy it if you want to sample some.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Cheers -I will definitely give it a spin, whether courtesy of Virgin trains or not!

fgwrich

Established Member
Indeed. I'm sure it's not beyond the ken of our innovative train companies to come up with some off-peak 1'st class offers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'd like to see all IC TOC's offer a decent local beer for first and for sale in standard. Not bottle's, but I think FGW do cans of tribute which is decent enough.

I remember GNER used to do a bottled local ale at one stage which was to be highly commended.

FGWs offering can usually be quite good as their Beers are from St Austell - tribute in cans, and Proper Job and I'm sure I've seen Admirals Ale as well. Otherwise I completely agree with you, and given the expanse of FGW Operating area, we've got plenty of other great breweries if love to see offered on board too.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I've certainly had the Tilting Bitter quite recently as a 1st class offering. I quite like it - it's fairly light and hoppy.
https://untappd.com/b/redwillow-brewery-tilting-bitter-virgin-trains/828643
I don't know if this has replaced the Tilting Ale, or if it depends on the service (And I'm fairly sure I've also had Tilting Ale in the past in 1st)
https://untappd.com/b/redwillow-brewery-tilting-ale/389210

I've never been offered it in first and as recently as last week (on a Friday journey from Euston to Lancaster) was told where to go if I wanted it ( to the on board shop).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Maybe VTEC (which sounds more like a computer company than a train operator) ought to stock this!
Sounds like it would be perfect to consume going down Stoke Bank at 125 mph....

Can't have anything to do with tilt on the ECML.
You'll be wanting tilting trains next... ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You are aware that Bitter is cheaper than lager, right? I appreciate that VTWC serve you a full size bottle, whereas EC/VTEC give you a tiny can. And, if you're going to serve real ale, you may as well do it properly- that being in a bottle if not a pint glass.

I'd like to see all IC TOC's offer a decent local beer for first and for sale in standard. Not bottle's, but I think FGW do cans of tribute which is decent enough.

I remember GNER used to do a bottled local ale at one stage which was to be highly commended.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

VT(WC) do "Tilting Ale" and "Tilting Cider" in bottles, brewed specially for them.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I rarely have cause to travel on VTWC these days so I 'm genuinely interested to see whether this is decent. If it's a good session ale with a nice hoppy taste, then perhaps we might taste it on the East Coast?

tony_mac

Established Member
It's not a bad ale. Brewed by Redwillow of Macclesfield but it isn't a 1st class offering - you will have to trek down to the shop and buy it if you want to sample some.

I've certainly had the Tilting Bitter quite recently as a 1st class offering. I quite like it - it's fairly light and hoppy.
https://untappd.com/b/redwillow-brewery-tilting-bitter-virgin-trains/828643
I don't know if this has replaced the Tilting Ale, or if it depends on the service (And I'm fairly sure I've also had Tilting Ale in the past in 1st)
https://untappd.com/b/redwillow-brewery-tilting-ale/389210

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
[

You are aware that Bitter is cheaper than lager, right? .

On a slight tangent, when considering the time and effort involved in producing and caring for proper ale along with the ullage etc.as opposed to lager (of which some publicans would boast a 110% yield in the Morning Advetiser a few years back before the obvious was pointed out to them!) I always thought a good proportion of the cost of their pint went to advertising agencies to con us in to drinking particular brands of tasteless fizz.

tony_mac

Established Member
I've never been offered it in first and as recently as last week (on a Friday journey from Euston to Lancaster) was told where to go if I wanted it ( to the on board shop).

That's a bit weird, maybe you look like you will cause trouble ;)
My last journey was about a month ago (Friday evening, Liverpool to Euston), and I was happy to accept 3 of them...

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
That's a bit weird, maybe you look like you will cause trouble ;)
My last journey was about a month ago (Friday evening, Liverpool to Euston), and I was happy to accept 3 of them...

Maybe they only had three on the trolley and someone had snaffled them all up before it reached me leaving me with some insipid Bolivian (there are other S.American Country's lagers available) beer that was as weak as kitten pee.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Traveling home from Cornwall last weekend on XC they had bottles of Doom Bar on the trolley.

Iskra

Established Member
On a slight tangent, when considering the time and effort involved in producing and caring for proper ale along with the ullage etc.as opposed to lager (of which some publicans would boast a 110% yield in the Morning Advetiser a few years back before the obvious was pointed out to them!) I always thought a good proportion of the cost of their pint went to advertising agencies to con us in to drinking particular brands of tasteless fizz.

I did a presentation to Thwaites a couple of years back, and during that I learnt that the profit on a pint of lager is pence. However, the impression I got was that tax was the biggest problem. Proper beer is seeing a massive revival at the moment compared to lager- it's the pubs that are refusing to acknowledge this change (and changing attitudes towards drinking) that are going under.
Traveling home from Cornwall last weekend on XC they had bottles of Doom Bar on the trolley.

FGW still win it for me-
St. Austell Tribute on a HST winding through Cornwall as the sun sets = perfection.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Where would you classify as local on the East Coast line? :)

I may be biased, but it does pass through Yorkshire, which has a superb range of beers to offer. Timothy Taylor's, Theakstons, Copper Dragon, Leeds Brewery, Ossett Brewery, Ilkley Brewery.

Come to think of it, perhaps we should just specify one coach of each EC set as a tavern car !

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm quite fond of an Arkells 3B, nicely chilled, when I'm on an HST through Devon and Cornwall. I've always liked 3B since I first had it on FGW years ago mind, but it really did the job on my 2012 ALR. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link the relevant bit of my trip report!

I take it Deuchars has gone off the ECML then? Never got a chance to try it sadly.

Interesting to know the special Virgin brews are worth a go though, certainly I've been more than tempted in the past. Got a nice long Carlisle to Birmingham New Street journey due on 1st August so I may have to partake of a trip from coach E to the shop!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I take it Deuchars has gone off the ECML then? Never got a chance to try it sadly.
You can count yourself lucky, then. ;) They still had Deuchars under VT East Coast, on the train down from Aberdeen last month. Needless to say, I stayed dry until I disembarked at York.
Interesting to know the special Virgin brews are worth a go though, certainly I've been more than tempted in the past. Got a nice long Carlisle to Birmingham New Street journey due on 1st August so I may have to partake of a trip from coach E to the shop!
Both the Tilting Ale and Tilting Cider on Virgin West Coast are truly superb. I cannot fault Redwillow of Macclesfield, who brew the Tilting Ale, on any of their products and the Tilting Ale specifically is a very refreshing, lighter ale. The Tilting Cider is produced by Thistly Cross based in Dunbar, whose cider is absolutely magnificent in all its' different varieties.

I only wish that Virgin would start to stock these or similar (renamed, of course!) on the East Coast (Thistly Cross is local for the East Coast route, too!) and do away with the dreaded Deuchars.
I may be biased, but it does pass through Yorkshire, which has a superb range of beers to offer. Timothy Taylor's, Theakstons, Copper Dragon, Leeds Brewery, Ossett Brewery, Ilkley Brewery.

Come to think of it, perhaps we should just specify one coach of each EC set as a tavern car !
Yes please. :D Why do we not have draught pumps specified on the new IEP trains like they were on the HSTs when new? ;) Then again, the new trains aren't even being provided with a proper buffet counter, so I suppose that idea's a non-starter. :roll:

Maybe we could have them reinstalled on the HSTs for one final hurrah? :D Particularly if we can have a range selected from those breweries you have named above. There's some fantastic ales to be had in Yorkshire. :)
Shame about the Doom Bar though.
Personally I was dead pleased when Crosscountry started stocking Doom Bar. It takes the pressure off having to buy in supplies in advance if I am in a rush, and having to factor in a "reserve float" in case of major delays. ;)
Though the cost factor dictates that I'll tend to pick up my train beers from a shop beforehand whenever possible, and generally buy no more than a couple on the train. Though Crosscountry were doing a deal on three bottles of Doom Bar for £10 the last time I availed myself of their trolley, which I thought was fairly reasonable for ale purchased on-train.

Last edited:

Established Member
Abellio Greater Anglia support a local brewer, and no it isn't Greene King. Adnams Bitter and Adnams Ghost Ship both available from the buffet on the Norwich services. Special offer to launch Ghost Ship, two cans for a fiver.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Abellio Greater Anglia support a local brewer, and no it isn't Greene King. Adnams Bitter and Adnams Ghost Ship both available from the buffet on the Norwich services. Special offer to launch Ghost Ship, two cans for a fiver.
Hey I tell you what, the Inter-city booze offering round the country is improving no end these days. :)
Doom Bar's on XC?! I must remember this to make suffering a Voyager a LOT easier next time!
Aye, £3.50 a bottle, or three for a tenner as I say. :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Doom Bar's on XC?! I must remember this to make suffering a Voyager a LOT easier next time!

I just hope sprinterguy is not on the same train as you, because by the sound of things you may find he's consumed all their stock by the time the trolley reaches you;)

Status
Not open for further replies.