• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin beer offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I just hope sprinterguy is not on the same train as you, because by the sound of things you may find he's consumed all their stock by the time the trolley reaches you;)

....sounds like that happens a lot. Some guts or other devouring all the decent ale leaving the rest of us with the kitten pee.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ash Bridge:2203821 said:
Doom Bar's on XC?! I must remember this to make suffering a Voyager a LOT easier next time!

I just hope sprinterguy is not on the same train as you, because by the sound of things you may find he's consumed all their stock by the time the trolley reaches you;)

I was going to say I'd get to the shop first, then remembered it's XC, so no shop these days! Sprinterguy and I will have a round of fisticuffs for it :lol:

3.50 a bottle isn't bad, considering it retails around 1.85 a bottle in Asda.

sprinterguy

Established Member
One does one's best. :D Although anyone else can have free rein on as much Deuchars as they want on East Coast! ;)

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'd like to see all IC TOC's offer a decent local beer for first and for sale in standard. Not bottle's, but I think FGW do cans of tribute which is decent enough.

I remember GNER used to do a bottled local ale at one stage which was to be highly commended.

I would rather not have any beer at all than drink it out of a can. Bottled beers are fine with me but not cans.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was going to say I'd get to the shop first, then remembered it's XC, so no shop these days! Sprinterguy and I will have a round of fisticuffs for it :lol:

3.50 a bottle isn't bad, considering it retails around 1.85 a bottle in Asda.

Even so that's one heck of a mark up. Far cheaper to buy beers before you start your train journey.
I may be biased, but it does pass through Yorkshire, which has a superb range of beers to offer. Timothy Taylor's, Theakstons, Copper Dragon, Leeds Brewery, Ossett Brewery, Ilkley Brewery.

Come to think of it, perhaps we should just specify one coach of each EC set as a tavern car !

How you could forget Dent Brewery??

Iskra

Established Member
I would rather not have any beer at all than drink it out of a can. Bottled beers are fine with me but not cans.

Even so that's one heck of a mark up. Far cheaper to buy beers before you start your train journey.

I hate drinking it out of a can- it doesn't taste the same. However, they kindly provide you with a glass, and I assure you it tastes perfect! ...It's also good value at £2.50 for a full-size can.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Apologies for my omission!

As for cans, some beers suit them better than others, but they tend to be a hell of a lot lighter to carry.

theblackwatch

Established Member
If you want proper beer on a train, I suggest you come along on a Retro Railtours special or join one of the Penistone Line Partnership Music Trains, where there is a trolley serving hand pull real ales on board. The next PLP music train also features an Abba tribute band!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I hate drinking it out of a can- it doesn't taste the same..

I'm sure the metals of the tin affect the beers flavour. It's rather common to be drinking out of a can - though also to swig out of a bottle too. You can usually pick up a tulip pint glass from Wilko's for 25p and a bottle of water at 20p to rinse it out with.

sprinterguy

Established Member
As a former Scout, I make it my business to be prepared !
I was going to say the same. :D I like to remain optimistic in this regard, as who can say when next an ale might present itself, requiring to be opened. :)
If you want proper beer on a train, I suggest you come along on a Retro Railtours special...
I looked into it for the upcoming Cumbrian Coast Explorer, but the logistics involved from Birmingham are far too convoluted and financially draining considering the early start and late finish times. Much easier for me to muck about on the Cumbrian Coast 37s the day before instead, where I have a mate with a spare bed in Barrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.