• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Euston Barrier Staff Again Ignoring Ticket Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainTube

He needs to write to Customer Services.

I'd also be asking for an investigation to be carried out, but I expect nothing will happen. Virgin's Customer Services department have known for years that gateline staff reject valid tickets, yet the problem persists.

If Virgin don't agree to issue a refund of the monies due, he should write to the Ombudsman. I also know some retailers will back the customer up; which retailer did he use, do you know?
They are very strange! I tried to get on a Shrewsbury train to Watford Junction with an oyster, I had an off peak from Euston to Milton Keynes, but this woman said you cant use it because she believed the trains first call was Coventry! I know Watford was pick up only, but still you would've thought they would know about where trains call at.
That same woman let someone on a Virgin train who had a West Midlands Trains only ticket!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They are very strange! I tried to get on a Shrewsbury train to Watford Junction with an oyster, I had an off peak from Euston to Milton Keynes, but this woman said you cant use it because she believed the trains first call was Coventry! I know Watford was pick up only, but still you would've thought they would know about where trains call at.
That same woman let someone on a Virgin train who had a West Midlands Trains only ticket!
I don't quite follow; you can't hold a ticket from Euston to Milton Keynes on Oyster.

Some trains are not advertised as calling at Watford Junction or Milton Keynes Central as they are pick up only, so if it was one of those, the staff were actually correct on that occasion.

TrainTube

I don't quite follow; you can't hold a ticket from Euston to Milton Keynes on Oyster.

Some trains are not advertised as calling at Watford Junction or Milton Keynes Central as they are pick up only, so if it was one of those, the staff were actually correct on that occasion.
Sorry, the first part was a mistake, was trying to recall what happened. It wasn't oyster, it was an off peak ticket from Euston to Milton Keynes. On the national rail app it shows the train stopping at Watford Junction if you search Euston departures, that's reasonable enough for someone to get on!

Hazlehead

Sorry, the first part was a mistake, was trying to recall what happened. It wasn't oyster, it was an off peak ticket from Euston to Milton Keynes. On the national rail app it shows the train stopping at Watford Junction if you search Euston departures, that's reasonable enough for someone to get on!
Nope it isn't reasonable at all Virgin trains from Euston are pick up only at Watford & set down only southbound therefore you can't use a Euston to Milton Keynes ticket so as yorkie says staff were correct

TrainTube

Nope it isn't reasonable at all Virgin trains from Euston are pick up only at Watford & set down only southbound therefore you can't use a Euston to Milton Keynes ticket so as yorkie says staff were correct
Hows everyone going to know they're pick up only though? If someone is at Euston and searches trains to Watford and that comes up, I'm sure they would be annoyed if they weren't allowed on!
Either the apps don't list pick up only stations at the origin or they let people on.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hows everyone going to know they're pick up only though? If someone is at Euston and searches trains to Watford and that comes up, I'm sure they would be annoyed if they weren't allowed on!
Either the apps don't list pick up only stations at the origin or they let people on.

I've just tried the National Rail app.

If I put in London Euston to Watford Junction, no Virgin Trains come up.

nuts & bolts

The 18:23 does show that it stops at WFJ via the National Rail Equiries app then if you attempt to buy ticket it will show the 8 stopping points in the buytickets.virgintrains.co.uk window

Last edited:

TrainTube

I've just tried the National Rail app.

If I put in London Euston to Watford Junction, no Virgin Trains come up.
Watford train is in the morning, heading for Shrewsbury. It shows that it calls both at Euston. This was found on the Euston departures.
Realtimetrains is exactly the same, if you search trains at London Euston, then put Watford Jct in the later section, the virgin services come up. I myself didn't know it was pick up until after that day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190816-195544.png
    Screenshot_20190816-195544.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 42

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I still cannot make heads or tails what you were trying to say, but the Virgin service is pick-up only going north at Watford Junction, so no you cannot board it at Euston to travel to Watford Junction. No amount of huffing and puffing will change that.

Watford Junction would not be advertised on the departure board at Euston so again you cannot use it to go to Watford Junction. Use an alternative service instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.