• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin rail 'bullies'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Established Member
Flamingo's post was clearly light-hearted in its nature, and I see no reason for you to use it as a stick to beat him with.

With regard to 2, there have been some tangible improvements. For a start, I don't see every long distance train running late these days, as was often the case when I used to sit at New St or Wolves all day with my Dad as a nipper. I agree things could still be better, but we live in an imperfect world.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
As fine an excuse as any yet invented.

I see it as a dose of realism! We'll never achieve perfection whatever happens; as a nation we always have *something* to moan about!

Re Flamingo's comments, observations on his customer's physical attributes ("down boy" etc, etc) are either knockabout red blooded humour for a largely male audience or completely inappropriate sexism from a company employee. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until he posited any disagreement with his proposition as 'trolling' and 'crayoning all over the board' despite the fact my comments were valid observations.

One person's 'larger than life character' is another person's 'control freak' and bully. I didn't instigate the name calling.

It was just demonstration of a sense of humour. Of course, you could always use the 'report' button if you find those comments offensive, but I'd like to think the moderators would ignore your wibblings.

SS4

Established Member
Perhaps it would just be better if the mods closed this topic - I think the topic has been done to death now (yes I do get the irony of this post)

Disagreements are what makes a forum better than a message board, we learn more from those who disagree than those who agree. Name calling is too far and unnecessary though

Flamingo

Established Member
As fine an excuse as any yet invented. Re Flamingo's comments, observations on his customer's physical attributes ("down boy" etc, etc) are either knockabout red blooded humour for a largely male audience or completely inappropriate sexism from a company employee.
I never said "down boy". If you are going to quote me, then use the quote button and get it right.

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until he posited any disagreement with his proposition as 'trolling' and 'crayoning all over the board' despite the fact my comments were valid observations.
Your "valid comments" have been rubbished by pretty much every other member of the forum. Does this not tell you anything?

One person's 'larger than life character' is another person's 'control freak' and bully. I didn't instigate the name calling.
Your determination to derail threads, portray all railstaff as "bullys" and give misleading advice is already a matter of note.

If you are going to make things up in the belief it gives you credibility then carry on.

That is one of the behavioural traits of the greater spotted troll. I think it's nice to see one in it's natural habitat. I don't subscribe to the view that pest exterminators should be let lose on them I prefer to see them starve to death :lol::lol::lol:

colpepper

Your "valid comments" have been rubbished by pretty much every other member of the forum. Does this not tell you anything?
On the contrary, I seem to be in full agreement with almost every regular passenger and totally out of kilter with those paid by the privatised industry, or at least its mouthpieces on this board. One of the marks of trolling as you'll know is to make contentious or provocative statements and attempt to ameliorate their impact by the use of emoticons, 'smillies' to you.
So far as bullying goes it was you yourself who claimed there was nothing wrong with calling a liar a liar. I haven't checked but am prepared to bet it was followed by yet another smillie :lol::lol::lol:

Established Member
colpepper, can you actually provide any attributable facts and figures to back up your opinion?

Before you try and push the onus onto everyone else, you are trying to make a point that others don't agree with, therefore it is up to you to provide the evidence.

colpepper

colpepper, can you actually provide any attributable facts and figures to back up your opinion?

Before you try and push the onus onto everyone else, you are trying to make a point that others don't agree with, therefore it is up to you to provide the evidence.

Of what..?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
On the contrary, I seem to be in full agreement with almost every regular passenger and totally out of kilter with those paid by the privatised industry, or at least its mouthpieces on this board.

There are people who work for the rail industry on this board but they're in the minority. You don't seem to answer the other comments so often though - perhaps because you can't use that accusation against us.

The government has no interest in investigating the TOCs in any detail or they'd have to conclude many of the problems are systematic - they'd happen whoever was running your line (under the current system), not because FCC are crap. I commuted Hitchin-London for nearly 4 years from 2003 so am not totally ignorant of the problems on that line.

colpepper

There are people who work for the rail industry on this board but they're in the minority. You don't seem to answer the other comments so often though - perhaps because you can't use that accusation against us.

The government has no interest in investigating the TOCs in any detail or they'd have to conclude many of the problems are systematic - they'd happen whoever was running your line (under the current system), not because FCC are crap. I commuted Hitchin-London for nearly 4 years from 2003 so am not totally ignorant of the problems on that line.

There are systematic problems, I agree. Few are insoluble. So far as arguing with those in the industry they appear to be both partial and overbearing in their judgements and their language in describing customers, provocative. Now we could say that's because they face the reality of making the system work or we could say the job attracts such personalities. I have no opinion on the matter.

As a taxpayer and passenger I find the increase in the tax burden and on rail fares isn't born out by improvements in the system. If someone can address why that should be without calling me a troll or a cretin I'm interested in their answer.

Ferret

Established Member
On the contrary, I seem to be in full agreement with almost every regular passenger and totally out of kilter with those paid by the privatised industry, or at least its mouthpieces on this board.

What a quote! As if our employers pay us to come on Rail UK and extol their virtues to the internet world! I must say I haven't noted too much agreement with much of what you've posted so far. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant eh?

colpepper

Still, don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant eh?
Apparently not. You might want to check a few other threads to note the degree of passenger solidarity. Half a dozen highly vocal ticket inspectors does not denote 'everyone' no matter how hard you wish.

Ferret

Established Member
Apparently not. You might want to check a few other threads to note the degree of passenger solidarity. Half a dozen highly vocal ticket inspectors does not denote 'everyone' no matter how hard you wish.

Aww, I'm touched that you find it necessary to try and belittle me, really I am. The classic hallmark of somebody who is losing an argument!

Established Member
A couple from the last couple of pages. Can you back up these opinions with facts?

As BR ran a service at a fraction of the tax payer's input given to the TOCs we can assume neither passenger nor taxation value for money is the current priority.
Theoretically a TOC could advertise 'anywhere for a quid' days and still not hit the bankruptcy courts..
Factor in the manning cost required to service a steam locomotive and modern fuel efficient traction and few or none of those efficiencies have been passed on in ticket price or the tax bill for non-rail users.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I've not noticed many people agreeing with you.

Mr Spock

As far as I am aware most passengers would like people who try and cheat the system to be taken to account .

You constantly insult rail staff for no other reason than it seems to make you feel better even though they are trying to explain how the system works.
To be quite honest I am surprised that anyone bothers to reply to your nonsense anymore.

Of course there are some problems on the railways but so there are in all walks of life and your constantly ranting on will not change them.

As for your constant bleating about TOC's only being in it for the money er thats what firms do you know. This thread started about someone disputing having to buy a new ticket and the person concerned is a company director who I am sure uses every means possible to increase profits of her company.

I believe that you said on one thread that if you knew that this forum was going to be full of rail staff apologists you would not have joined so simple solution - LEAVE.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

In the same way one passengers views does not denote nearly every passenger?

Flamingo

Established Member
attempt to ameliorate their impact by the use of emoticons, 'smillies' to you.

You are misunderstanding me again, I am not inserting emoticons in my posts to "ameliorate their impact" - I am doing so to demonstrate I am laughing at you.

By the way, the only person to call anybody a bully is you - I find it interesting that you repeatedly come back to that word.

I bet you want to know my name to write to my manager, to complain about my attitude.

Well, guess what - your posts are saying a lot about you and are demonstrating an unpleasant individual.

I come across your type every day, who think that they can shout and bluster their way through life, and if they shout loud enough and repeat their opinion often enough that somehow people will accept it as a fact.

Well, it's not going to work on here, have you not worked that out for yourself yet?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I had an experience today, which a mod may wish to break off into another thread - although it is related.

You know how everyone claims to have been told by someone on the platform that it's okay to do something? Well today, I sort of experienced it myself (well, another passenger) as I returned from Barcelona for a trade show.

I was standing waiting for the 1606 to Cambridge (Foxton) and I thought it would be platform 11. In front of me was two 365s on platforms 10 and 11, and a 313 to Hertford North in front of the one on 10. That was leaving at 1556 and I figured that they'd wait until that went before announcing which one was my train (or announcing it as platform 0 or something annoying).

Anyway, as it got nearer to 1556, lots of people were running once noticing it was at the far end. The whistle was being blown and three people ran down; two together and one on her own at the back.

The first man got on and the dispatcher put on the CD light and the doors shut, except the passenger held them open for his partner/wife. The dispatcher was going over and must have been telling him to release the doors, without success, so ultimately the second person got on. The third didn't.

She hung around talking to the dispatcher, so I assumed she was arguing about why he didn't hold the train (which left 40 second late) but as my train came up as 10b, I walked down and saw she was actually quite well humoured and must have realised it was her mistake.

I thought nothing more of it as I got on at the end, with heavy suitcase, to Hatfield. Upon arrival, by the time I crossed over the bridge with my bag, I saw she was at the gate and being dealt with by an RPI, accompanied by 'my mate' who totally ignored me!

She was still calm, but was being told she had to pay a £20 PF. I, perhaps stupidly given who was standing there, said 'were you the lady trying to get to Hertford North?'. If nothing else, I could at least help validate her story. Her eyes lit up, much to the shock of the RPI who may now have realised what he'd been told wasn't a crock.

What I couldn't understand was how she got the Cambridge train behind, until she said that the dispatcher had advised her to. I said that I'd seen them talking and said maybe the dispatcher made a mistake or was confused (or, to be fair, maybe she was and misunderstood him). In any case, I sincerely doubt she was trying it on with the wrong ticket - although I'm not sure why she didn't get off at Potters Bar. In her defence, the driver DID announce the train early on, but the PIS was off, so she may not have boarded straight away. I even noticed that for a short time, the departure screens had been showing TWO trains as going from platform 2 (one to Cambridge and another to Sunderland), so who knows if it had mistakenly shown another Hertford train as going from 10a later on?

The RPI said it didn't matter what a dispatcher said as he wasn't revenue, but I did add that he was wearing a First uniform and most people wouldn't be expected to know the difference. I also added that I was not suggesting for one millisecond that she didn't get the PF, but that I would be happy to act as a witness for her. He then said; 'Good, because I wouldn't take any notice of what you said and would give her a PF anyway'. He DID explain the appeals process to her, but I became conscious of the fact that now I looked like a troublemaker for trying to help.

Still, there was no need to be rude and abrupt with me. I was the last one off, so there was nobody else there being held up. He merely needed to proceed as normal and let me speak to the woman later, who it appeared seemed willing to accept the £20 and was arranging to be picked up. So, she probably won't even appeal - although I gave her my email address in case she decides to.

I can only imagine what my friendly RPI said after I left (all good, I'm sure!) and now I wish I'd said something like 'Sorry, I didn't want to tell you how to do your job, as I know you all know it so well - isn't that right <xxxx>'. I do know his name BTW, but once again tonight he chose not to wear his ID badge. And, no, I bit my lip as I knew that I didn't want to get things to flare up again with this RPI (who normally works trains) opting to try and embarrass me on the train by examining my tickets and making it look like they're forgeries or something.

Anyway, for missing her train (her own fault) and getting the wrong one, she'd £20 worse off and presumably has a totally worthless ticket to Hertford North to chuck in the bin. It's a shame FCC has never proceeded with the idea to offer dual-availability tickets, but I can see why when it is quite profitable! And she was certainly an easy target.

(And, perhaps colpepper might now realise that this forum is pretty balanced)

For those who can't be bothered to read the above, I suppose it does throw up a valid question: should staff that are not informed, or qualified, enough to give advice be allowed to give advice that could land people in trouble like this? Especially if they're wearing a company uniform (albeit a Orange Hi-Vis vest with FCC on it)?

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Jon, if you were at a trade fair in Barcelona, can I ask what you thought of the Motorola Atrix lapdock? ;)

I want one.. though i have seen a tablet from LG which looks just as ace but im gonna wait for the atrix.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.