• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visit to Long Marston

gdale1

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to view the stored trains at Long Marston. I have mobility problems and not sure if it involves a lot of walking. Any advice much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

01d-and

This will probably not answer your question but Peter Tandy has a photo website with plenty of pictures of 'Long Marston'.

brad465

Established Member
This is 5 months old so may not be entirely accurate in terms of what's currently stored there, but here's some drone footage of the site:

gdale1

This is 5 months old so may not be entirely accurate in terms of what's currently stored there, but here's some drone footage of the site:

Thanks again, it looks like there maybe a lot of walking involved

D365

Veteran Member
Worth noting that everything you see in a drone video (how are they allowed to get away with flying within 50 metres of a railway site?) is not accessible to the public.

JJmoogle

There's a bridge on Long Marston road (you can see it about 1:15 in the drone video) that allows you to get somewhat of an overview of the site and see it from a distance.
Pretty much everywhere else you can get to publicly is now securely fenced and often also obscured by earthworks and trees.

Used to be a lot easier when I was a child about 20 odd years ago to go up and have a look at stuff.

Mothball

Worth noting that everything you see in a drone video (how are they allowed to get away with flying within 50 metres of a railway site?) is not accessible to the public.

Despite the CAA drone rules being a bit of a minefield, there isn't actually any prohibition for flying a sub-249g drone around railways (Despite what Network Rail would have you believe).

Infact rail hubs are actually specified as a example where you can fly around.

Small drones and model aircraft below 250g

You can fly small drones and model aircraft that are lighter than 250g at residential, recreational, commercial and industrial sites.
Industrial sites include:
  • factories
  • docks
  • rail and transport hubs

Nym

Established Member
Being legal and being able to do it are two very different things.

I'll stop typing before getting political.

peteb

Zoom lens?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You can see a lot more of the site when it hosts Rail Live. I went in 2019 and there was absolutely all sorts of disused stuff parked up and on display. Largely 319s reserved for GWR Flex (how ironic), redundant D Stock carriages, T-69 trams and unwanted HST power cars back then. Changed a lot since though, of course.

D365

Veteran Member
You can see a lot more of the site when it hosts Rail Live. I went in 2019 and there was absolutely all sorts of disused stuff parked up and on display.
But that’s not public access as such;)

fgwrich

Established Member
But that’s not public access as such;)
Indeed. I’ve been lucky to visit as part of my role, but in all honesty to the enthusiast there’s so much predominately plant in the way you wouldn’t really see stock stored there with everything dotted around the site or moved for the event as such.

If you do get a chance to go, I do recommended the BTP dog unit and drone display though ;)

D365

Veteran Member
Indeed. I’ve been lucky to visit as part of my role, but in all honesty to the enthusiast there’s so much predominately plant in the way you wouldn’t really see stock stored there with everything dotted around the site or moved for the event as such.

If you do get a chance to go, I do recommended the BTP dog unit and drone display though ;)
I’ve been based at LM in the past (pre-Porterbrook); can’t recommend an encounter with the local dog team!

Nym

Established Member
I can safely say, there’s nothing much interesting there any more. All the fun stuff is far enough off the beaten track to make it look unusual for you to be going there

Express380

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can anyone attend Rail Live? I have very little knowledge apart from where it is located!