• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vivarail chosen for GWR fast charging trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Press release text below.

Great Western Railway has signed a deal with manufacturer Vivarail to trial new battery-charging technology on its network, paving the way for battery-only trains to run in regular passenger service in the future.
The trial, supported by Network Rail, will take place on the Greenford branch line later this year and test Vivarail’s trackside fast-charging equipment in an operational setting for the first time.
It is hoped that the project will demonstrate that the equipment works safely and reliably in a ‘real-world’ environment.
The use of batteries for extended operation has typically been constrained by their range and meant widespread implementation has, until now, not been feasible.
Fast Charge equipment will be installed at West Ealing Station later this year and tested with Vivarail’s battery-only Class 230 train, first showcased at COP26 last year.
The train has a range of up to 62 miles on battery power, recharging in only 10 minutes using the Fast Charge system in off-network tests.

I've thought for a while that battery trains could be used on most of the West Country branch lines that simply shuttle back and fore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
In the thread covering the tender it was glaringly obvious that this was a Vivarail shoe-in. Glad to see it progressing all the same.

A0wen

On Moderation
Press release text below.

Great Western Railway has signed a deal with manufacturer Vivarail to trial new battery-charging technology on its network, paving the way for battery-only trains to run in regular passenger service in the future.
The trial, supported by Network Rail, will take place on the Greenford branch line later this year and test Vivarail’s trackside fast-charging equipment in an operational setting for the first time.
It is hoped that the project will demonstrate that the equipment works safely and reliably in a ‘real-world’ environment.
The use of batteries for extended operation has typically been constrained by their range and meant widespread implementation has, until now, not been feasible.
Fast Charge equipment will be installed at West Ealing Station later this year and tested with Vivarail’s battery-only Class 230 train, first showcased at COP26 last year.
The train has a range of up to 62 miles on battery power, recharging in only 10 minutes using the Fast Charge system in off-network tests.

I've thought for a while that battery trains could be used on most of the West Country branch lines that simply shuttle back and fore.

Good to see it happening - the Vivarail haters will be out in force in the not too distant to decry this.

Arguably the Island Line should have taken the same approach.

A0wen

On Moderation
I don't agree. It makes no sense to de-electrify an already electrified line. Batteries are a cheaper alternative for lines which are not presently electrified.

Unless the lineside equipment is insufficient or at life expiry - where the cost of replacement and future maintenance is a consideration and was for the Island Line.

Taunton

Established Member
More than 60 years ago BR ran a battery train in all day service on Aberdeen-Ballater, which seemingly worked well. What progress in 60 years? The train was good enough to put in 10 years on the service, only being given up when the line closed. It then was claimed by BR Research at Derby, and put in the best part of another 20 years service there hosting various trials.

Ealing to Greenford is 3 miles each way, so potentially 10 round trips before a recharge needed. Probably about half that number actually, given the battery industry's constant over-optimism about battery capability.

irish_rail

Established Member
Really hope these aren't foisted on the south west branch lines, though I rather suspect they inevitably will be....

Taunton

Established Member
the Vivarail haters will be out in force in the not too distant to decry this.
I really don't know why they are so. The railway industry has effectively expected all sorts of pioneering research work to be done out of Adrian Shooter's own pocket.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Unless the lineside equipment is insufficient or at life expiry - where the cost of replacement and future maintenance is a consideration and was for the Island Line.
They didn’t replace it in any real sense though, did they? They made some updates to the switchgear, it was explained in an SWR PR piece at one stage. The predictions before the project started were that it was completely shot and needed replacement throughout, but was there ever any evidence?

BayPaul

Established Member
Great news. I really hope they quickly get introduced on the branches in the South West too, and then in other parts of the country. It would really up local rail's environmental credentials compared to sprinters

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really don't know why they are so. The railway industry has effectively expected all sorts of pioneering research work to be done out of Adrian Shooter's own pocket.

The only reason I've ever decried Vivarail is because the unreliability of their units caused a collapse of the Marston Vale timetable. If they've sorted that or the battery units don't suffer the same issues (most of them related to the diesel engines), great. In terms of travelling on them they are fine.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Really hope these aren't foisted on the south west branch lines, though I rather suspect they inevitably will be....
There is a distinction between foisting 230s on the south west branch lines and incorporating the technology in a suitable unit following testing, but that is speculative at this stage.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good to see it happening - the Vivarail haters will be out in force in the not too distant to decry this.
I don't hate Vivarail. I would say I am a very disappointed user of thier unreliable trains. I know the vivarail lovers want to overlook actual user testimony but the truth is self evident for those of us who have had to rely on these trains.

I HOPE this product works better than the product offered on the Marston Vale line.

I really don't know why they are so.
Because some of us have to rely on these trains! The service on my line has been so bad I have bought a car.

In terms of travelling on them they are fine.
And that is what frustrates me immensely about the trains. inside they are MILES better than and 150/153 and much more accessible. They just don't work reliably enough.

When the trains were introduced there was a massive PR and goodwill upswing for the line and a chance to really increase numbers. All gone. All wasted.

pdeaves

Established Member
The limitation could be distance to/from depot. Can the unit get all the way there? Does it need to stop for a fresh charge on the way? Is there somewhere suitable to put the equipment that coincides with the best stopping points? Is there a timetable implication? What about out of course set swaps in the day?

Not insurmountable but it will be a consideration.

A0wen

On Moderation

Why ? What is fundamentally wrong with them ?

Those lines are hugely loss making - what are you expecting ? Brand new CAF units or similar ?

Chris125

Established Member
Never in doubt, a one horse race.

Arguably the Island Line should have taken the same approach.

Lord no, even if the 3rd rail had been as knackered as some had suggested - I don't think they replaced any in the end, just replacing some of the pots and actually re-using a length for the new loop.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The limitation could be distance to/from depot. Can the unit get all the way there? Does it need to stop for a fresh charge on the way? Is there somewhere suitable to put the equipment that coincides with the best stopping points? Is there a timetable implication? What about out of course set swaps in the day?

Not insurmountable but it will be a consideration.
With a 62 mile range, and only 80 between Plymouth and Penzance, both of which have depots, it's fairly clear that range to depot would not be a problem.

A0wen

On Moderation
More than 60 years ago BR ran a battery train in all day service on Aberdeen-Ballater, which seemingly worked well. What progress in 60 years? The train was good enough to put in 10 years on the service, only being given up when the line closed. It then was claimed by BR Research at Derby, and put in the best part of another 20 years service there hosting various trials.

Ealing to Greenford is 3 miles each way, so potentially 10 round trips before a recharge needed. Probably about half that number actually, given the battery industry's constant over-optimism about battery capability.

BIB - put simply, battery and charging technology has improved.

Which is why it was impractical in the 60s to extend it but not so now.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Those lines are hugely loss making - what are you expecting ? Brand new CAF units or similar ?

To be fair, that's exactly what the Conwy Valley is getting (if it doesn't wash away by then), and basket cases don't get much bigger.

It wouldn't actually surprise me to see new units with this tech. Conversions have not generally been successful, and they would then last 40+ years. The 230s are only really slated for 10-20 years, and that is one reason (vehicle length being the other) they were a shoe-in for the Marston Vale - new units were only needed for about 10-20 years pending the full implementation of East West Rail and the resulting replacement with new units.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

I believe the Ballater unit only did a few runs every day. Probably typical for that era, but its charging time wouldn't allow the sort of intensive use we expect today.

D365

Veteran Member
Looking forward to following this Greenford trial as a demonstration of Vivarail’s fast charge technology.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sounds like a waste of money.
I don't see how having a small sub fleet of clapped out underground trains, saves anything over using existing stock based out of Reading

Xavi

Can you substantiate ‘hugely loss making’? I doubt that’s a fair reflection of St Ives, Falmouth, Exmouth and Barnstaple. A regular oversight is that simplistic per mile infrastructure cost allocation overstates the cost of a rural branch line and understates the real cost of a complex inner city network.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I suspect Vivarail are funding a fair chunk of it.

I don't see how having a small sub fleet of clapped out underground trains, saves anything over using existing stock based out of Reading

It's a trial of the technology. The line is suitable because it has very low usage, and so disruption won't have a serious effect - crikey, hardly anyone would even notice if it closed entirely. It's not to save money compared with a DMU.

Windsor would be another possibility, but that is very heavily used and so disruption would be a big problem.

Non Multi

I'm totally shocked, shocked by this announcement! :lol:

No mention of delivery by April as stated in the tender document, just a vague "later in the year".

Taunton

Established Member

You have missed my point. The 1950s battery set worked fine for years on a 45 mile line. We constantly hear about battery improvements coming just now, ignoring what was achieved long ago.

Parallel

Established Member
One of the potential issues may be the turnaround times at each ends of the branch - some of the Looe and St Ives services have very short turnaround times so would the battery have enough of an opportunity to charge throughout the day?

That said, less reliance on diesel can only be a good thing when looking to reduce carbon emissions.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

It’s about decarbonisation not saving money. Your idea of using existing DMUs from Reading does nothing to help achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.