• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vivarail to develop battery 321

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Price

This article from Rail Advent details an agreement between Eversholt and Vivarail. The plan is to take the ex Greater Anglia 321's like the one pictured and add batteries. This will potentially offer 20 to 30 miles of range off the wires.

There have been a few articles about this doing the rounds today, but where would these operate?

According to the article:
The Class 321 Renatus Fleet of electric trains could become a Battery Electric Multiple Unit (BEMU) thanks to a new deal between Eversholt Rail and Vivarail.

The 30 strong fleet is thanks to a £65m investment in AC traction, air con and interior upgrade.
Both Vivarail and Eversholt Rail has discussed the options with various operators and the Department for Transport. The case development will continue in 2022 and further investment in the fleet will be confirmed in due course.

Potential 20 to 30 miles would perhaps allow Windermere runs, Cardiff to Bristol, GWR Bedwyn services etc. However I am sceptical about if there is a market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Vivarail has been making noises about selling their battery expertise, so this is exactly the next step that I was expecting. Makes sense to Eversholt to sound out an opportunity for reengineering of the retractioned /refurbished Renatus units.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
As someone who lives in a city served by the mournful 769s, this fills me with dread.

D365

Veteran Member
As someone who lives in a city served by the mournful 769s, this fills me with dread.
It’s worth pointing out that only the refurbished ”Renatus” units are being considered. As opposed to the Class 769s, which I don’t believe have seen any significant interior overhaul.

Bob Price

Also it's changing from overhead to batteries. The issue with the 769's seems to be the diesel elements, especially on TfW lines where they struggle on the hills up the valleys. This may actually work and be useful

On Moderation
It’s worth pointing out that only the refurbished ”Renatus” units are being considered. As opposed to the Class 769s, which I don’t believe have seen any significant interior overhaul.
The Renatus sets of course having the appalling “ironing boards”, which are definitely not an improvement (and the originals weren’t great).

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Where they will work is almost (imho) irrelevant. If they are planning going a la Scotland, then BEMUs are essential component of a rolling program of (warning treasury dirty word coming up) electrification.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It’s more the appalling reliability and very slow movement post conversion that makes them so unpopular.

Energy

Established Member
Adding batteries should be considerably easier than fitting a diesel engine like the 769...

skyhigh

Established Member
Adding batteries should be considerably easier than fitting a diesel engine like the 769...
Until proven otherwise I am fairly sceptical of 'easy' conversions. Porterbrook seemed to suggest the 769s would be an easy conversion - you simply use engines to supply the 750v in place of 3rd rail. In reality...

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not getting my hopes up.

trebor79

Established Member
To be honest on the few times I was unlucky enough to travel on them, I preferred an unrefurbished 321 as the Renatus had a horribly stuffy and muggy interior due to no opening windows and the air con being ineffective.

Bob Price

The fact that Vivarail have a battery unit that works and is about to start trials on a GWR branch is a positive. My feeling is change of electric traction is likely to be more straightforward than strapping engines underneath. Much as I love the 230 concept the reality has been different and there have been big unforseen issues. At least with these they know the units are in good shape which the 319's were not and the battery tech works

Bertie the bus

Established Member
There is going to be no market for a unit with a range of 20 - 30 miles. It will get as much use as that parcel conversion unit dumped at Doncaster RMT.

Neptune

Established Member
The Renatus sets of course having the appalling “ironing boards”, which are definitely not an improvement (and the originals weren’t great).
And as usual when seating inevitably gets brought up on here it’s all a matter of opinion. There are plenty of people on here who wouldn’t agree with you, myself included.

I personally find the low seatbase with the awful reclined position backrest of the Ashbourne seat absolute torture but I accept that some people like them.

It’s life, you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The Renatus units do not have ironing boards.
The tops of the seats are shaped like ironing boards.

I agree they are a type of seat not installed in other units and are a little more comfortable than the 377/6, 387 and 700 seat.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
However some 321s are scrapped.......
That doesn't matter. The proposal is only to make something of the 30 321s that were given the new traction package and internal refurbishment.

(There are separately some 321/4s stored that were intended for hydrogen class 600 conversions.)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Until proven otherwise I am fairly sceptical of 'easy' conversions. Porterbrook seemed to suggest the 769s would be an easy conversion - you simply use engines to supply the 750v in place of 3rd rail. In reality...

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not getting my hopes up.
That is exactly my view too. I would be delighted if I am proved wrong.

pdeaves

Established Member
Before people get too hung up on seat types, remember that they can be replaced at any time without messing up the reliability of getting from A to B.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
The fact that Vivarail have a battery unit that works and is about to start trials on a GWR branch is a positive.
Hmmm. does it work ? We haven't see it in action yet ? I agree it SHOULD work but I will reserve judgement

My feeling is change of electric traction is likely to be more straightforward than strapping engines underneath. Much as I love the 230 concept the reality has been different and there have been big unforeseen issues. At least with these they know the units are in good shape which the 319's were not and the battery tech works
With respect Porterbrook should have known exactly what condition the 769s were in - before they dumped them in fields in Warwickshire. The fact they didn't refurbish the traction motors during the conversion is penny wise pound foolish, but is only one of a number of issues. We were told the bus wire down the train was really handy and could be used to link the two gensets together and "pretend" they were running on 750V DC. In actual fact, part of the rebuilding process was to install another bus along the train, simply because they could no longer rely on the return current passing through the rails.

How does a 321 charge its existing batteries currently? Does it have a motor alternator or a statcon or inverter?

Apologies but I'm no expert on those units, they use a funny coat hanger thing to get their power.

Kiepe Electric in Düsseldorf is responsible for the manufacture and delivery of the AC traction equipment including the Main Transformer, AC Traction Motors, Traction Converter, Auxiliary Power Supply Unit and the installation of a modern braking system with improved wheel-slide prevention.

Now I've thought about it, that's the APSU and this would have had to be done to power the HVACs that were added by Wabtec.

Last edited:

RichJF

Wonder if Porterbrook will be watching as basis for a future project with the 350/2s?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
This is the future of rail travel in Britain then is it? Strap something to a 30 or 40 year old unit and boast about how the rail industry is saving the planet.

If there is such an eager market why has there been no progress since they stuck a battery on a Class 379 8 years ago?

Energy

Established Member
If there is such an eager market why has there been no progress since they stuck a battery on a Class 379 8 years ago?
Because battery technology hadn't suitably developed until fairly recently? The rail industry is always a couple years behind with technology from other industries.

Fuel prices and concern about the environment have both gone up considerably since then.

Fincra5

Established Member
There is going to be no market for a unit with a range of 20 - 30 miles. It will get as much use as that parcel conversion unit dumped at Doncaster RMT.
There clearly is.... lots of sort branches off a OHLE section where that range will be sufficient. Some have already been mentioned.

Whos to say the ReGen can't be used to assist with battery top up too?

Lots of free space under a 321 for batteries!

D365

Veteran Member
It’s more the appalling reliability and very slow movement post conversion that makes them so unpopular.
Battery conversion will be an entirely different kettle of fish.

This is the future of rail travel in Britain then is it? Strap something to a 30 or 40 year old unit and boast about how the rail industry is saving the planet.
if those Renatus units were scrapped, somebody else would be complaining about the waste…

Status
Not open for further replies.