• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vivarail to enter administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

richieb1971

Established Member
Why don't they hand back the keys like LNER did? Does Vivarail come under private ownership in its entirety? Still affects services either way. Seems like a convulated mess the way railways are ran today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why don't they hand back the keys like LNER did? Does Vivarail come under private ownership in its entirety? Still affects services either way. Seems like a convulated mess the way railways are ran today.

Hand back what keys? It's not a franchise, it's a maintenance contract that is the issue. You can't operate without a maintenance contract in place or internal staff skilled at doing so, if the unit sits down it's just stuck there.

Don't confuse it with Pre Metro Operations Ltd where a Parry-created company is providing the whole service under contract to WMT.

ExRes

Established Member

Vivarail are/were a privately owned company who just happen to supply a service to the railway industry just like Hitachi, Stadler do

amazon1675

Not good news for the IOW. Currently trains can't run to Pier Head (pier repairs not done when the line was closed !) and units can't run in pairs (power supply issues !),and the service pattern still does not link with the ferries. After the route upgrade which overran by some margin,the large sum of money spent on this very short length of line;missing a whole summer season's custom;the public cheesed off with the whole thing...i.e.recently one signaller went off sick and the whole line closed,plus now the rolling stock supplier going 'off-line', not a great time for rail travel on the Island is it? Discuss,as they say.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Agreed, but I think it's more likely to be a TOC. What do others think?
Other industry players could be, without prejudice, the DfT, TfL, ORR, RSSB, NR, LUL, Track Maintenance contractors, Electrical equipment suppliers and so on. I would have expected TOCs to be very keen on their fast-charging technology, and unlikely to be messing Vivarail around.

adc82140

Established Member
Not good news for the IOW. Currently trains can't run to Pier Head (pier repairs not done when the line was closed !) and units can't run in pairs (power supply issues !),and the service pattern still does not link with the ferries. After the route upgrade which overran by some margin,the large sum of money spent on this very short length of line;missing a whole summer season's custom;the public cheesed off with the whole thing...i.e.recently one signaller went off sick and the whole line closed,plus now the rolling stock supplier going 'off-line', not a great time for rail travel on the Island is it? Discuss,as they say.
It's been mentioned further up thread that SWR own the 484s and SWR maintain them. The only issue may be with the supply of spares in the future. A problem, but solvable. The Ryde Pier and power supply issues are infrastructure based, and would be the same no matter what stock was run.

Greybeard33

Established Member
In today's world would just having the documentation suffice ? Move another step and add one or more staff who have been doing the maintenance being employed would whatever certification they have still be considered valid ?

Down at Ryde St Johns did the staff complete training from Vivarail and hence now have formal certification to show this?

While heritage railways have no link to the builder / manufacturers of first generation DMU's nor I presume do their staff and volunteers have any formal certified training this is balanced by the 25mph speed limit.
I imagine that all the Vivarail units (LNR, TfW and IoW) have some bespoke control system software, developed in-house by Vivarail. Being relatively new, it seems unlikely that such software is yet fully mature. If the Vivarail design engineers and software developers are no longer available, it could be problematic for the TOCs to get software updates developed and certified, even if they have qualified maintenance engineers in-house.

Not an issue with heritage stock.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Other industry players could be, without prejudice, the DfT, TfL, ORR, RSSB, NR, LUL, Track Maintenance contractors, Electrical equipment suppliers and so on. I would have expected TOCs to be very keen on their fast-charging technology, and unlikely to be messing Vivarail around.
It could also mean ROSCOs.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It could also mean ROSCOs.
I didn't list them because I was under the impression Vivarail own the stock they're modifying, but yes there's lots of people not mentioned in my list. Similarly with the Treasury, Commerical Banks, Hitachi, Wabtec, etc, etc.

david1212

Established Member
I imagine that all the Vivarail units (LNR, TfW and IoW) have some bespoke control system software, developed in-house by Vivarail. Being relatively new, it seems unlikely that such software is yet fully mature. If the Vivarail design engineers and software developers are no longer available, it could be problematic for the TOCs to get software updates developed and certified, even if they have qualified maintenance engineers in-house.

Not an issue with heritage stock.

We know that there is bespoke software. For the 484's testing / commissioning / fault-free running had to be paused for significant software changes. Without searching back I recall one issue found was when a unit lost all contact with the third rail but had momentum to coast across the break.
Indeed going foward getting any updates done and possibily too pre-programmed modules as spares to swap out could be problematic.
Had the original motor controllers been retained worst case completely replacing the existing software would have been simpler.

tomuk

Established Member
It's been mentioned further up thread that SWR own the 484s and SWR maintain them. The only issue may be with the supply of spares in the future. A problem, but solvable. The Ryde Pier and power supply issues are infrastructure based, and would be the same no matter what stock was run.
SWR don't own the 484 they are leased from Lombard North Finance. TfW bought their 230s outright.

PG

Established Member
I think, broadly speaking, we can divide these entities into:
Government bodies and Private firms
My monies on the former :{

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Administration does not usually mean immediate stopping of all work / loss of staff. Companies can continue to operate whilst the administrator searches for a buyer of all or part/s of the business. Given that there ought to be a future for the Martson Vale units (there is no alternative except the rubber tyred one) that should give hope that that part will be bought by someone, thus the Bletchley based maintenance staff could be retained.

Administrators do have to work under strict rules re costs incurred after appointment but this is, at the moment, administration rather than liquidiation - which is what happens when you accept there will be no buyers, that any further money spent is wasted, thus the administrator stops spending it immediately.

Seems a bit strange to me. Suggesting to me that the Marston Vale service will not be operated by the Vivarail units again.
Maybe both sides wanted a way out of the diesel 230s on Marston Vale.
The administrator would look at income streams to decide where the axe should fall to minimise outgoings so given the LNR units are operating and presumably LNR have been paying the leasing charges seems an unnecessary action this early on. Administrators can act very fast and can be appointed and simultaneously sell on assets and tupe staff to new entities. So you would have expected LNR to have been consulted on options like acquiring assets or tupe staff over but of course DfT would have to be involved and certainly wouldn't support additional costs and the bean counters reckon they an save money this way. Eversholt must the best hope for at least the engineering and development side.
It is possible that DfT have been intransigent.
I'd agree this was a very surprising move to lay off the maintenance staff immediately and nix the contract rather than looking to sell those staff and that contract on to AN Other, not necessarily WMT themselves. Perhaps things were financially very, very bad and that therefore wasn't financially possible - administrators can only work within what is left within the company, they can't magic up money from nowhere, so if there wasn't money to pay those staff they had to be laid off.
The staff might have upped and left for another job while one was available - I would.
SWR own the Isle of Wight 484s don't they. They have also been maintaining ex London Underground stock for most of a century. I think they will keep the 484s come hell or high water.

As for the 230s I think Austerity will mean that older DMUs will be used to replace them, there will be plenty spare I fear. DfT will not want to be messing around with microfleets that are not yet even bedded in. I also can imagine that in the case of Marston Vale the operator (LNR) will view Vivarail going into administration as a way of getting out of a lease on trains they probably are tired of putting up with.

zwk500

Veteran Member
As for the 230s I think Austerity will mean that older DMUs will be used to replace them, there will be plenty spare I fear. DfT will not want to be messing around with microfleets that are not yet even bedded in. I also can imagine that in the case of Marston Vale the operator (LNR) will view Vivarail going into administration as a way of getting out of a lease on trains they probably are tired of putting up with.
I think the DfT was very keen to support the battery trial of the 230 on the Greenford line, so the 230s may not be dead yet. Will be interesting to see who does pick them up though, if anybody does.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Railway Gazette has following responses from three of the operators but not GWR

Vivarail maintains the Class 230 diesel multiple-units it supplied for the Marston Vale line between Bletchley and Bedford. Operator London Northwestern said Vivarail entering administration meant it was now unable to provide a rail service on the route. The operator was ’working to find alternative solutions’, and in the interim would provide a replacement bus service.

South Western Railway told Rail Business UK it was monitoring developments and would work closely with the administrators to ensure the continued smooth running of its Vivarail Class 484 trains on the Isle of Wight’s Island Line. ‘Whatever the resolution to their situation, we’re confident we will be able to continue to obtain the support needed to maintain the fleet effectively going forward’, said a spokesperson.

Transport for Wales Chief Commercial Officer Alexia Course said ‘we will be in a position to provide an updated statement in the coming days, but our focus remains to bring our Class 230 units into service on our network’.
https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/t...-vivarail-enters-administration/63071.article

Established Member
Seems very obvious - LNR!

By withdrawing the units they’ve done a ton of damage to Vivarail’s reputation - it’s going to scare off investors and potential orders.
They’ve withdrawn the units because the maintenance staff have been laid off by Vivarail! No one to maintain them means the units can not operate. How is that LNRs fault?

geoffk

Established Member
They’ve withdrawn the units because the maintenance staff have been laid off by Vivarail! No one to maintain them means the units can not operate. How is that LNRs fault?
And presumably if the the operator wanted to take on Vivarail's maintenance staff, the DfT would say no.

zwk500

Veteran Member
And presumably if the the operator wanted to take on Vivarail's maintenance staff, the DfT would say no.
Well, they'd certainly not give them any more money to do so, but presumably if LNR found a way to do it without needing extra funding, I don't see why they'd automatically say no

zwk500

Veteran Member

By withdrawing the units they’ve done a ton of damage to Vivarail’s reputation - it’s going to scare off investors and potential orders.
LNWR only withdrew the units *after* the administration took effect, unless you are talking about the initial troubles introducing the units which was certainly not micky-taking by the TOC.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I'd say WMT are actually the injured party. They've invested in a business which has now run out of money and has had to sell up. I don't see how London Northwestern Railway can be blamed for that. If anything, by taking a chance on their rather peculiar idea to convert 70s 3rd rail Tube stock into DMUs, LNR were those who got production started!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The administrators decide what to do why would VivaRail have made the redundancies given they had an operating lease for the trains.

Established Member
The administrators decide what to do why would VivaRail have made the redundancies given they had an operating lease for the trains.
I’m only writing what I have heard, what I have seen, what I have been told from several sources.

You could aim your question towards Vivarail? Or the administrators?

Status
Not open for further replies.