• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Water Columns / Cranes / Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

I'm looking for any of the above that survived beyond 1968. I've got a picture of a Midland Railway water column and water tower at Hathersage which was taken in 1973.

Any other suggestions?

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The base of the water column on the downside at Tonbridge survived into the 90's. I remember wondering what it was as a child.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The water tower at Garsdale was demolished in 1971. I'm surprised that the Yorkshire Dales National Park allowed this to happen given that it was used by the locals as a community centre.

alxndr

Established Member
Kemble station still has a water tower, which I believe is Grade II listed so should hopefully be around for a while yet.

eastdyke

Established Member
The water tower east of Manningtree (Essex) station survives. Sadly now almost totally encased in ivy.

Info. from Geocache with undated picture looking east towards A137:
This tower was built by Collins and Barber of Downham Market in 1894 and the tank was supplied by Head Wrightson for the princely sum of £114. Unlike most water towers for locomotives, this tower also supplied water for the station.
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache...ree?guid=7c0ebe2e-1137-44af-86f0-6f2c2da2810e

'Current' google street view taken 9/2016 looking west from A137 (large vehicle) level crossing ramp:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...d088dd6713c9faba!8m2!3d51.9490412!4d1.0448923

There is rather less ivy if you toggle the street view back to 2009.

Branch line

Aberystwyth still has a Water Column, Birmingham Moor Street has a Water Tower and a Water Column. I believe these may have been reinstated when the station was remodelled.

Ploughman

Established Member
There was at least one water column left at Skipton in 1979. I wonder if it managed to survive until the wires arrived.

Not sure about the Water Column, but as part of the Skipton remodelling carried out for the electrification the Up side Tank at the North end of the station was taken out by crane and loaded away. Not sure as to who bought it.
I was the crane supervisor for that lift, which would have been 1993-94 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.