• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML stopping patterns and journey times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailAleFan

Hopefully of relevant interest, our "TOCtables" show all distinct calling patterns by service origin as a key to the timetable e.g. VT from London Euston;

(selecting a calling pattern highlights all instances of that service in the timetable below)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The first 9 Manchester-London departures are "1Rxx" trains.
There's another 9R23 which runs via Birmingham.
The 0701 1R18 took 1h59m today (from RTT).

seagull

One slightly bizarre alteration that has stayed since the timetable ramped back up to 90%, and that's the previously 06.10 BHM-EUS (1R04 starts 05.45 ex WVH) which has retained a departure time of 06.07, resulting in early running approaching Hanslope Jn, causing a hasty reduction in speed down to a red signal while waiting for 1R03 to appear on the slow from Northampton and cross to the fast. All a bit silly, the original reason was I believe an extra stop inserted at Rugby in the initial lockdown timetable back in March.

The Planner

Veteran Member
One slightly bizarre alteration that has stayed since the timetable ramped back up to 90%, and that's the previously 06.10 BHM-EUS (1R04 starts 05.45 ex WVH) which has retained a departure time of 06.07, resulting in early running approaching Hanslope Jn, causing a hasty reduction in speed down to a red signal while waiting for 1R03 to appear on the slow from Northampton and cross to the fast. All a bit silly, the original reason was I believe an extra stop inserted at Rugby in the initial lockdown timetable back in March.
Its planned to do that, 3½ pathing approaching Hanslope Jn to follow it so it will always turn up early. I would be surprised if it isn't back at 0610 from December. There will be a few idiosyncrasies like that due to the timescales of turning COVID related stuff around.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

Doesn't 1R04 stop at Milton Keynes? 1R03 is r/a Euston from Northampton.

seagull

Doesn't 1R04 stop at Milton Keynes? 1R03 is r/a Euston from Northampton.

Yes, that's why it has to let 1R03 in front. It used to be fine when it departed New St at 06.10, but running 3 minutes earlier just gives the brakes a good cleaning.

I13

September 2004: 0700-0901
Dec 2008: 0700-0858
2015-ish (when LM 110mph peak services introduced: 0700-0901 due to pathing added at Colwich to let an LM go first)
Pre-covid: Clawed back to 0701-0900

In May 18/Dec 18 it was an 0658 departure arriving 0900, and then became 0701 from May 19 (corrected: originally mistyped as May 20).

Could've sworn this was the case when reading this thread earlier, took me a while to confirm that my memory wasn't making this up but found proof thanks to http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/timetables/ .

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Off memory, 1R03 passes MK at 0655 with 1R04 calling at 0658-59.

Yes quite; but I inferred (evidently, wrongly) from your post that you thought 1R04 should be given precedence at Hanslope.
As an illustration of the complications of regulation, pre-Covid 1R03 is tight behind an LNw service from Northampton which starts at (I think) Coventry. When I've caught 1R03, the LNw service is often a few late; perhaps the result of being regulated further North to avoid delay to Avanti services...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah, I remember now - most (e.g. The Manchester Pullman) got dropped in Sept 2004. The Royal Scot and Caledonian clung on for slightly longer as you say.

Presumably the former coincidenced with the switch to 390s? Not sure about the latter, I'd have thought Glasgow was Pendolinos by then.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Presumably the former coincidenced with the switch to 390s? Not sure about the latter, I'd have thought Glasgow was Pendolinos by then.

September 2004 was the first "Pendolino" timetable. That's when (for example) Manchester went to 2tph.

Pretty sure only a small handful of Mk3 sets (if any) remained in service after Sept 2004.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
September 2004 was the first "Pendolino" timetable. That's when (for example) Manchester went to 2tph.

Pretty sure only a small handful of Mk3 sets (if any) remained in service after Sept 2004.

Yeah, looks like Glasgow went 390 in 2004 and there were nine (?) Mk3 sets going into 2005.

route101

Established Member
Yeah, looks like Glasgow went 390 in 2004 and there were nine (?) Mk3 sets going into 2005.

At the start of 2004 there was no 390s to Glasgow, started with 1535 ex Glasgow with one 390 a day. Was ramped up over that year. The last class 87 set i seen at Glasgow was late 04. So Glasgow was the last to get 390s but first to lose them.

Im all for later services up from London but a late arrival into Glasgow offers no onward connections locally.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Im all for later services up from London but a late arrival into Glasgow offers no onward connections locally.

Apart from all the night buses, taxis, walking, and getting a lift off a willing friend / relation etc.

There’s plenty of places around the country where the last long distance train arrives after the last local train has left, and plenty of people use them.

CW2

Established Member
Forming a peak service into Central from Ayr. Wasn't that long before privatisation in the BR Intercity era however?
Back in 1986 it was the 06:00 Glasgow Central - Ayr, forming the 07:40 Ayr - London Euston, 09:10 ex Glasgow Central. There were special instructions in place that related to the neutral section at the south end of Newton-on-Ayr station, in that it was feared that a loco hauled train calling at Newton-on-Ayr would be unable to gain sufficient momentum to get through the neutral section, and would end up gapped. So there was no Newton-on-Ayr stop scheduled on the 06:00 Glasgow Central - Ayr. If for any reason the loco hauled set was swapped to another diagram (e.g. 06:30 Glasgow - Ayr) then a "Not to Stop" order had to be issued for Newton-on-Ayr, and passengers directed to the following service.
It was nearly always an 86/2, but it did get an occasional 87 or a roarer (81 or 85).

The last daytime loco-hauled Euston - Glasgow service I travelled on was late December 2004, so that confirms route101's dates.

thenorthern

Established Member
4 hours and 8 min was indeed the fastest timetable time IIRC and it only had a single stop at Preston.

Prior to the WCML in the early 00s upgrade the GNER service via the ECML was only marginally slower and ran at a similar service frequency to the WCML services at the time.

dk1

Veteran Member
Back in 1986 it was the 06:00 Glasgow Central - Ayr, forming the 07:40 Ayr - London Euston, 09:10 ex Glasgow Central. There were special instructions in place that related to the neutral section at the south end of Newton-on-Ayr station, in that it was feared that a loco hauled train calling at Newton-on-Ayr would be unable to gain sufficient momentum to get through the neutral section, and would end up gapped. So there was no Newton-on-Ayr stop scheduled on the 06:00 Glasgow Central - Ayr. If for any reason the loco hauled set was swapped to another diagram (e.g. 06:30 Glasgow - Ayr) then a "Not to Stop" order had to be issued for Newton-on-Ayr, and passengers directed to the following service.
It was nearly always an 86/2, but it did get an occasional 87 or a roarer (81 or 85).

The last daytime loco-hauled Euston - Glasgow service I travelled on was late December 2004, so that confirms route101's dates.
Very interesting. Like hearing quirky regulations such as that. Thanks.

route101

Established Member
4 hours and 8 min was indeed the fastest timetable time IIRC and it only had a single stop at Preston.

Prior to the WCML in the early 00s upgrade the GNER service via the ECML was only marginally slower and ran at a similar service frequency to the WCML services at the time.

We used to use the GNER to London from Glasgow, must of been due to engineering works or price.

I always wonder if its feasible for Avanti to run this today, probably not. Often Ayrshire accents i hear on avanti Glasgow services.

Apart from all the night buses, taxis, walking, and getting a lift off a willing friend / relation etc.

There’s plenty of places around the country where the last long distance train arrives after the last local train has left, and plenty of people use them.

No night buses in Glasgow at the moment. And was only Fri and Saturday night. Taxi would set me back £30.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I always wonder if its feasible for Avanti to run this today, probably not. Often Ayrshire accents i hear on avanti Glasgow services.

I suspect the route is too full of Scotrail services today.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

As I stated on another thread this will not happen due to the privatised set up with access rights, moderation of competition clauses etc.

CW2

Established Member
As I stated on another thread this will not happen due to the privatised set up with access rights, moderation of competition clauses etc.
Surely in the brave new post-privatisation world, anything is possible? Since HM Government is footing the bill (one way or another - so that means the taxpayer is paying) then it could happen in future.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Surely in the brave new post-privatisation world, anything is possible? Since HM Government is footing the bill (one way or another - so that means the taxpayer is paying) then it could happen in future.

Ah, but which taxpayer!

No night buses in Glasgow at the moment. And was only Fri and Saturday night. Taxi would set me back £30

Yes, but you are not everyone else in Glasgow.

thenorthern

Established Member
One thing to remember before 2007 what is now the Birmingham/Manchester to Scotland via Carlisle services were run by Virgin Cross Country. Until 2004 as well the Manchester to Scotland services connected with the South West/South Coast services I know one service went from Reading-Birmingham-Stoke-Manchester-Preston-Edinburgh-Aberdeen. The Birmingham to Scotland via Warrington trains connected with trains that ran to the South/South West until 2007.

Until 2003 when the Voyagers were introduced it was common for the trains that ran via Manchester to do an engine change at Preston as at the time the Manchester to Preston line wasn't electrified. The engine change would take around 10 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.