• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather disruption Sunday 17th July and following few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelAMW

Hi there. I've joined just to ask this question, I hope that's ok.

I have to travel tomorrow (I have a pre-op appointment at a London hospital). Tickets bought ages ago on EMR for specific trains from Corby to London St Pancras, then home again later. I've been stalking the EMR website since Friday, and know that my particular train is cancelled. It does say you can use tickets on earlier trains, and I'm planning as it stands to drive to Kettering, where it looks as if there is one train an hour to London from there.

Is it likely that if it all goes pear shaped tomorrow, other train operators will be accepting tickets? For example, I could get my husband to drive me to Northampton, and get the London Northwestern train from there to Euston.

Also, if I get a phone call when on the train to say my appointment is cancelled, or even find out when I get there, would I be able to use my ticket which is currently for the 19.15 train from St Pancras to Corby on an earlier train?

I have some mobility issues, so am just trying to get as organised as possible in advance so that when I wake up tomorrow I've got options easily to hand if things change.

If trains are completely down, I could drive and park somewhere, then tube in the rest of the way (assuming they're running). Am thinking maybe Croxley Station.

Sorry if this is too many questions, and thank you in advance to anyone that can offer any advice.
Looks like EMR are running a shuttle to Kettering and then an hourly service from each of Nottingham and Sheffield to St Pancras, both of which I would imagine will call at Kettering. However, that's the summary on their website and there don't seem to be confirmed schedules in the journey planners yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I must travel from Carlisle to Glasgow Central tomorrow.

I’m hoping that out of Avanti, TPE and Scotrail, at least one will run at least one train after 14:00!
TPE have just published a list of dozens of cancellations for tomorrow. Have a check on their Journey Check page.

stuu

Established Member
The weather models have been revised and whilst the Paddington end of the GWML is in red weather zone, from Bristol westwards, Wales and SW have nothing exceptional (and now looking like thunderstorms on Tuesday before afternoon heat in Cotswolds and Somerset area.)

It seems rather tough that the areas farther west are losing parts of their service and getting speed restrictions too, even if those trains go nowhere near hot area.
South west has nothing exceptional? Its still forecast to be hotter than ever recorded here in Somerset. 32+ is exceptionally hot, even if it is not as hot as other areas of the country

Trains Are Ace

Looks like EMR are running a shuttle to Kettering and then an hourly service from each of Nottingham and Sheffield to St Pancras, both of which I would imagine will call at Kettering. However, that's the summary on their website and there don't seem to be confirmed schedules in the journey planners yet.
Thanks. I managed to get the journey planner to work, and there is 1 an hour from Kettering to St Pancras. I'd rather start the journey from there instead of faffing about getting the train from Corby to Kettering, then changing. Less to go wrong!

Established Member
This 100%.

Don't know why people feel the need to be constantly instructed, take some personal responsibility and take a decision for yourself but don't be surprised when when your journey is massively disrupted or you are stranded somewhere.
Precisely. On one of the storms in December I went for a nice day out at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway. I was intending to go to Cardiff, so wasn't quite what I'd planned!

I was told I was stupid for attempting to travel, advised strongly to go home and told I'd inevitably get stranded somewhere. I said I was prepared for that, and willing to take the chance of having to get a hotel in Sheffield/Derby if it all went Tango Uniform. "Err... fair enough, I guess." I got there, and back, no problems at all.

HullRailMan

TPE seem to have cancelled everything to/from Hull for the next two day, which seems a little extreme. Then again, they run the Hull line as more of a hobby than a business so it doesn’t take much for them to throw in the towel.

Ken H

On Moderation

I’m hoping that out of Avanti, TPE and Scotrail, at least one will run at least one train after 14:00!
I cant think of any impediment why trains cant run north of Carlisle. Its well outside the red area.

Established Member

Have you checked Avanti and TPEs websites and twitter?
Contacted them? I’m sure there best places to offer advice on what they ‘plan’ to run.

D6975

Established Member
Bristol-Weymouth services on Monday are almost all cancelled. Pax are being routed via Soton and if in need of a ticket, being charged a much higher fare.

HST274

WMR have informed me on twitter I can short start my journey at a station that my usual train doesn't even stop at on my journey. I imagine most TOCS will be more lenient over the next two days.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I know people do.

But with all the warnings etc they have no right to moan if they are suddenly stuck on a train in middle of no where due to track buckling or overheads collapsing.

The warnings are there and people should heed them.

All the restrictions and closures are there for the passengers safety.
I get this. which is why I don’t understand the kings cross closure. Bedford - St Pancras is still open and physically not too far away.

i am sure the reason will come out. But a class 700 is as likely to fail at Welwyn or Harpenden with the same challenges to rescue the passengers. Odd it is ok to take this risk on one line and not the other.

Established Member
I get this. which is why I don’t understand the kings cross closure. Bedford - St Pancras is still open and physically not too far away.

i am sure the reason will come out. But a class 700 is as likely to fail at Welwyn or Harpenden with the same challenges to rescue the passengers. Odd it is ok to take this risk on one line and not the other.
Say for example it’s ok to run Kings cross to say Grantham.

Customers will see trains are running there and expect to get further north.

Seeing some of the questions people are asking TOCs on twitter it’s probably best they shut the route

jon0844

Veteran Member

I expect they're fearful of what the OHLE is going to be like on the ECML, hence the shutdown - although I am not sure why Monday is deemed okay and not Tuesday. Is there that big a difference in predicted temperatures?

Failed Unit

Established Member

Seeing some of the questions people are asking TOCs on twitter it’s probably best they shut the route
Fair enough. Whatever is decided you have odd local scenarios.

i still remember the class 91 and mk4 failing between Peterborough and Huntingdon where the passengers broke windows to get air in. Personally being stuck on a 153 for 3 hours wasn’t nice in much lower temperatures.

however now you get “ok” to travel to London from Hertford East but not North. Or OK to do Cambridge to Liverpool St but not kings cross.

on EMR Grimsby - Leicester is running but the joint line isn’t (which I would expect to be in better condition)

not sure if tunnels are likely to cause issues.

but as many have said. Travelling is fine, until you are stuck at a red signal or the air conditioning fails.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Also, if I get a phone call when on the train to say my appointment is cancelled, or even find out when I get there, would I be able to use my ticket which is currently for the 19.15 train from St Pancras to Corby on an earlier train?

I do wonder if the NHS will cancel a lot of appointments next week, and how soon they'll make the decision to give people sufficient notice.

(My wife has had numerous appointments cancelled for over a year now, so they don't even need bad weather it seems!)

Failed Unit

Established Member
I expect they're fearful of what the OHLE is going to be like on the ECML, hence the shutdown - although I am not sure why Monday is deemed okay and not Tuesday. Is there that big a difference in predicted temperatures?
But that is sort of my different question. Is it worse on the ECML compared to the routes close by that are running (MML and Greater Anglia region)

Last edited:

Established Member
Twisted rail blocking like now between Northallerton and Eaglescliffe.

A grand central is returning to Northallerton to then continue up the ECML.

KGX

Are services planned to run as normal on the ECML on Wednesday? I.e. no speed restrictions?
Contingent on any damage Mon/tues of course.

Established Member
@DanNCL think you were asking about Tuesday and 1S00 running, it is, it is in the amended timetable.

BJames

Established Member

This is actually a very good point I hadn't thought about. The kind of attitude of "they wouldn't leave people stranded in Grantham, there must be something running further!" And people who aren't paying attention etc etc

EMR has updated journey planners. xx:05 to Nottingham and xx:32 to Sheffield are the only departures each hour from St Pancras.

jkkne

I do think some TOCs are taking the pee somewhat.

Morpeth, where I now live is hitting 30c with heavy cloud, same forecast for Newcastle (tho the bbc inexplicably have it much higher) Warm but not exactly outrageously hot but I’ve had no less than 4 emails from northern telling me not to travel.

It’s utter nonsense. I fully understand it further south where there is a real heatwave with extreme temps and humidity but clouds and 30c at peak…just another excuse for northern to do their daily cancellations

Trains Are Ace

I do wonder if the NHS will cancel a lot of appointments next week, and how soon they'll make the decision to give people sufficient notice.

(My wife has had numerous appointments cancelled for over a year now, so they don't even need bad weather it seems!)
I've seen that Milton Keynes University Hospital have cancelled all routine appointments and surgeries for Monday and Tuesday. Nothing on my hospital website at all, obviously will check before I start my journey.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But that is sort of my different question. Is it worse on the ECML compared to the routes close by that are running (MML and Greater Anglia region)

I think the spacing of the stanchions may be of concern, with the likelihood of the wires sagging in the heat - and that will almost certainly not end well.

As to how the other lines are, I don't know but assume Network Rail has done some calculations and risk assessments.

Lumo will run four trains on Tuesday - not sure if that's all the way into King's Cross though?!

Established Member
I think the spacing of the stanchions may be of concern, with the likelihood of the wires sagging in the heat - and that will almost certainly not end well.

As to how the other lines are, I don't know but assume Network Rail has done some calculations and risk assessments.

Lumo will run four trains on Tuesday - not sure if that's all the way into King's Cross though?!
The line is closed from York to Kings Cross on Tuesday, so Lumo will not be running any further south than York.
I imagine they will just do Edinburgh to Newcastle.

The Middle

The line is closed from York to Kings Cross on Tuesday, so Lumo will not be running any further south than York.
I imagine they will just do Edinburgh to Newcastle.
Journey Plan for Lumo shows services curtailed/started at Newcastle for Tuesday as you say

Smidster

Northern have upgraded the warning for Tuesday to "Do Not Travel" for Yorkshire and North East stating that many lines will be closed - As yet I don't see a list though.

North West remains at "Essential Only" on both days.

Paul180

Looks like GWR are starting with a normal timetable on the North Downs Line on Monday then from about 0800 from Reading they are removing the Gatwick trains not sure about Tuesday but I suspect it will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.