• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

Purple Train

Established Member
It was mid-winter. The moon loomed ominously above the golden tower of Big Ben, illuminating it with an eerie glow. No lights, not even in Trafalgar Square or the National Gallery, were on, and Nelson's Column was nothing but a dark shadow manipulating the cool night breeze into many jets of silence.

Descending the stairs on the eastern side of Trafalgar Square, into Charing Cross tube station, I made my way through the barrier and wandered to the southbound Bakerloo line platform. Nobody else was about, and nothing stirred. No light could muster a protest against the hideous power of all-encompassing darkness.

I stepped onto the platform, where a train was just pulling in. It had the outward appearance of one of the New Tube for London mock-up drawings, but the interior of a 1972 stock train, complete with soft seating. The train had no head- or tail-lights, and the carriages were unlit and uninhabited, except for me. They made no noise, and the ride was smoother and softer than any stationary train I had ever been on - but a great deal more eerie.
The next stop southbound was called Graham Park. It had an interchange with the Northern and Victoria lines, and (I just knew) an OSI to a station on the District and Central lines. I got out, hoping to find some solace from the biting darkness, but there was nothing. Eventually I decided to exit the station, knowing that at least there would be the bliss of light outside, the solace of the moon's kindly face.

Graham Park was an odd blend of a Leslie Green-style oxblood tiled facade and an extension in the form of one of Charles Holden's "brick boxes with concrete lids". Turning my face away from the building, I noticed that the moon had vanished, and without it, the world as I knew it had lost its last illumination.

The station was situated on the corner of a small park, on an island in the middle of the Thames. I saw the water, lapping past the edge of the building and washing up onto the edges of the island, but it made no noise, not even a reassuring whoosh.

And then - then - to the release of all manner of feelings of relief, of happiness, of pleasure - I heard the thing I most desired.

A noise.

Slowly, gently, it came to me, floating soft as a feather on the wisps of the cool, wintry night air. The strains of something I loved and longed for, something that transcended the emptiness and darkness that had hitherto been enfolding me.

Music.

I turned in wonder to the other end of the island, and noticed someone walking towards me, singing. And though the first words I heard had been distorted by the night's grip, the grip of the strange new world I was in, I recognised the haunting melody now as "The Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera. The singer came closer, walking towards me, singing all the while, as, softly, deftly, the music caressed me.

As they sang, I noticed that the music was drawing me in, almost as if it was trying to lull me to sleep, and I suddenly became wary of the music. Resolved not to, as I saw it, let my darker side give in, I looked for Graham Park tube station again. But with no light, and having wandered far from it, I couldn't see it.

I then remembered the OSI, and that it linked to another station on the island. I ran to the other end and there it was. It was called Island Bank, with an impossibly small station building about the size of a telephone box, which led to a long spiral staircase. I descended it, and followed the signs to the Central line platforms - no light. After a minute's wait, a train looking very like some of the old A60 stock pulled in, and I boarded. Like the last train, it had no head- or tail-lights, and the interior was unlit - though, from what I could make out, it had the same interior as an EMT Class 156.

The next stop, going east, was Chancery Lane. On the brief journey to it, again punctuated only my by heavy breathing, and no other outside influence disturbing the ruling silence, I felt again how utterly depressing the darkness and silence was. At the station I got out, and I had only one aim - to go back to the music, to grasp it, to sense it, to once more know light and comfort, to know that I was not alone.

But before I could do that, I woke up.

(Obviously this isn't the terms I dreamed it in, I'm not that weird. But everything that happened in this did indeed happen in my dream, though without the flowery description that I've added to it simply to make a few cheap Music of the Night references :D)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
In a dream last night, I was at some station which was, I think, supposed to be Woking but the layout was different. Or perhaps it wasn't Woking, but it resembled it a bit.

Someone online was slating the local TOC, comparing them with Central Trains because, like Central Trains, the stations were open access and you could access the platforms without a ticket. (I have no idea whether Central Trains did that, but in the dream, they did).

Consequently the platform at this Woking-like station (and it was the equivalent of Platform 1 at Woking) had direct access to and from the street, step-free and without ticket barriers.

In the dream this pseudo Platform 1 was a terminus platform, and parked up there was a 73 and a 2-car VEP, both, I think, in NSE livery. (The 2-car VEP probably came from looking at another thread on here last night featuring a 2-car 313). The VEP had "crossbar-free" windows of the style of units 3055 and 3056, for those familiar with the minutiae of the Southern Region EMU fleet. The 73 was not connected to the VEP, they were just parked up, independently. The 73 was at the buffers.

I was vaguely aware of platforms resembling Woking's 2, 4 and 5 in the background.

william.martin

On Moderation
Their is this dream that I see very often...
I was on the Cambrian coast line at Dyfryyn Ardudwy (where I have spent A LOT of time)
And it was double track with the line electrified ( in real it is single track, non electrified) and
I had pacers, 70's, voyagers, Cucumbers, sheds, pendolinos, the shinkansten bullet train and even the class 99 (concept.)
Next I miraculous teleported to Barmouth station where a Staffordshire bull terrier was driving a tamper.
For some reason the Barmouth bridge did not exist in my dream however in its place was the Golden gate bridge (which I have never visited.)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Not directly train related, but I couldn’t resist sharing this one, hope you find it as amusing as I did!

Last night I had a dream I was posting an update about the 390 refurbishment scheme on the forum (a thread I frequent as I use these trains very often). I accidentally posted the wrong number of a set that had been refurbished (something that I did do a week ago). I thought nothing of it and went back to working at home.

Skip a few minutes and I hear a knock at the door. I open the door to a police car, 2 police officers and one of the moderators from here (I won’t say who ;)). I’m subsequently arrested for spreading misinformation on the forum and have my laptop seized as evidence.

I’m then interrogated by the officers and moderator as to where I got the misinformation and why I broke forum rules, and just before the dream ends, I’m told I’m being sentenced to 6 months on moderation.

I know the forum rules are currently under review, but I think this new approach seems a little harsh :D

Established Member
I had a wierd one last night.

Arrived into Manchester Piccadilly on a TfW Mk4 set, something I would have actually done last night had it not been swapped for a 175. There were several 37s idling in the station and the noise was fantastic! I'd gone round to phot 37710 on platform 1 (nothing to do with discussing "the bashers" programme whilst on a Voyager from Crewe to Holyhead the day before, obviously) and another pair of 37s rolled into the Eastern Spur.

Walking back towards the concourse, I noticed an Avanti 805 on platform 4. People started getting onboard for a nosy until the station staff came over and told us off.

Then there was a Northern 195 on platform 6 waiting to go to Sheffield, then there was an announcement saying that the Sheffield services were suspended due to a derailment. Then a triple 37 rolled in on top of the 195, the Northern driver told me they were heading off to examine the scene of the derailment.

I had a wierd one last night.

Arrived into Manchester Piccadilly on a TfW Mk4 set, something I would have actually done last night had it not been swapped for a 175. There were several 37s idling in the station and the noise was fantastic! I'd gone round to phot 37710 on platform 1 (nothing to do with discussing "the bashers" programme whilst on a Voyager from Crewe to Holyhead the day before, obviously) and another pair of 37s rolled into the Eastern Spur.

Walking back towards the concourse, I noticed an Avanti 805 on platform 4. People started getting onboard for a nosy until the station staff came over and told us off.

Then there was a Northern 195 on platform 6 waiting to go to Sheffield, then there was an announcement saying that the Sheffield services were suspended due to a derailment. Then a triple 37 rolled in on top of the 195, the Northern driver told me they were heading off to examine the scene of the derailment.
3x Class 37 on top of the Class 195 DMU?! If the 37s did flatten the Class 195, the poor passengers would also be splat.

Purple Train

Established Member
I recently had a dream which involved a Class 345 departing from Shenfield. It looked nothing like Shenfield but had the correct track layout. For some reason in my dream it was in roughly the railway-geographical location of Oxford.
This 345 reversed out of the station into a siding (like the real Shenfield sidings) and then came back out past Shenfield on the slow lines (left in the direction of travel). On the journey, we were overtaken by a WMR Class 730.
I thought I'd get off at the first station, Hindley (in roughly the railway-geographical location of Radley if that makes sense), but realised this train was first stop Birmingham New Street (Didcot Parkway). I got off at Birmingham New Street, which was covered like the real station, but with green and white tiling a la a certain Piccadilly Line station (can't remember which off the top of my head) - though the walls were straight rather than curved like on the Tube.
Anyway, having alighted (with a friend of mine who had magically turned up) I ran into a particular YouTube train-spotter, who told me to investigate a passageway. I investigated it. It led to the Jubilee Line corridor. I walked back round from the Jubilee Line corridor, passing the low level platform, which featured another class 345 and a man walking across the track (I viewed the platform through a grey metal fence from track level, while still in the passageway... not sure how much sense that makes. There were two lines and one platform - the platform was on the far side). I didn't really care about the man on the track. Instead I walked back up to the main platform, thoroughly lost, got back to the YouTube train-spotter, who said goodbye, found my friend, and walked to the end of the platform and through a side entrance there, roughly similar to the subway steps at stations like Bethnal Green tube station, but with a curved roof/wall like a bus shelter. We asked the way to the main entrance, and were directed there. The waiting room had weird destination displays with coloured zones instead of platforms. While working out what they were saying, I lost my friend, and called out their name. They came back, and we walked down the underpass that linked the platforms to the waiting room. I tried to regurgitate the coloured zone information but couldn't word it right, so we wandered aimlessly about looking for our train (I knew it was an Avanti Pendolino).

Then I woke up.

Intercity110

On Moderation
i was at the bicester village LC, post-electrification It was pedestrianized, the shell was now an outdoor gym (we got lost tying to get a car park....100 miles away in skegness) and there were some weird trains Running at hs2s speeds. A 225 but the leading loco has the head of the 720, a 1960s blue pullman….operated by lsl, the scotrail railtour (the 47 running light engine as well), a WCR TPO, and a plaxton president coach.

Established Member
I had another dream last night, which is very unlike me.

Caledonian Sleeper had recently done an evacuation drill on the approach to Euston where carriages of a train were placed in varying states of derailment, be that either upright, sideways or at angles. I'd witnessed it from a passing train I think. In the dream, I was travelling on the Sleeper, and the host knocked on the door early evening to inform me that the drill was to be repeated on our journey at some point, and I would be evacuated via the window in my room. But not to be concerned as it wouldn't delay our arrival into Scotland(!)

I'm travelling on the Sleeper on Sunday night for real...

But I've got a theory as to where it came from. I travelled back from Ireland on the Stena Europe on Tuesday evening. About 45 minutes into the crossing, the Irish Coastguard did a medical evac drill by bringing a helicopter to the ship and winching down a stretcher as if they were collecting a casualty. Sadly I was asleep and missed the whole thing! Though I have seen a video.

Fortunately I wasn't on my long weekend this Saturday just gone, else I'd have been onboard on Saturday night when there was a 'serious fire' in the engine room and the passengers were given lifejackets and prepared for evacuation into the lifeboats. All ended well and evacuation wasn't necessary however.

Calthrop

Established Member
Dream last night: railway-, even if not directly train-, related.

Maps were concerned therein, especially one particular (in-dream) detailed map. The dream involved what had to be an alternative-history scenario -- rail routes starting from Carlisle, toward Glasgow: being for a very considerable length thence -- 45 / 55 miles? -- getting right up into the high country -- shared route-wise and actually shared-track-wise, between the real-life Caledonian, and Glasgow & South-Western, routes -- dream trajectory running roughly intermediately between same. (As often in dreams, there was some awareness in the background that this was not what had obtained in real waking life.) Much "conning" of the map, and of names of settlements thereon (said names forgotten on waking; but in the dream, they didn't noticeably correspond to real-life ones). Awareness at one spot: that the name / indication on map, of point where routes supposedly diverged -- "Caley" going off to the right, G&SW to the left -- was inaccurate; the line / route continued combined, northward therefrom for a considerable length, until the actual "splitting-point". All not totally crazy topography-wise: in real life, the Caledonian and G&SW routes, after dividing approximately at the Border; run parallel north-westward, at a final mutual distance of about a dozen miles: for some forty miles until at length they split off respectively northward; and continuing north-west -- finally meeting up in Glasgow. At all events, a fun bit of dreamed-of alternative stuff.

Tracked

Established Member
I was staying in a hotel, there was a rumbling sound on the outside of my bedroom door, on opening I saw a blue Class 56 and a rake of coal wagons - 80's style - rocking up the valley along the railway line that went right outside. There was another freight going in the opposite direction, branching off from right where I stood, but I couldn't make out what the freight was as it was crossing a road that had too much freight traffic on it, that somehow didn't collide.

Later on I went to a zoo, which seemed to share space with a big mainline station several feet up from the road I approached it on. There was a unit of some sort parked up there due to the rail strikes ...

Intercity110

On Moderation
I was in a typical wcml concrete building, we were waiting for something and then on rtt a 730 was coming through but we were shoved on a enviro 400 with really low headroom so i crawled to the back, where the seats were s7 stock‘s. Also the avantis had VTEC livery but it was stagecoach coloured and the line between the swooshes and the white was a plug.

Tracked

Established Member
Had a nap yesterday afternoon and had the railfan equivalent of one of those falling dreams;

I was walking along a station platform, some work was being done on the platform so the edges were a bit lower than the rest of it, and as I walked along the platform I walked to the edge and took a step down, but it seemed like falling ... and then I woke up

Intercity110

On Moderation
I was in Coventry, when Birmingham international station is just down the road whilst a 231 tram-train ran down the road and Birmingham and Coventry merged. It was also on fire (birmimghsm, that is)

Last edited:

Class142sbad

I had one where the old headteacher of my old school magically became a train guard at bishop auckland and i seen my old english teacher on that same train as well. then in this dream i bumped into her in some aldi around there. do not know where it came from but it was weird.

Another one I had is that a class 156 had a fire at Benton Junction on the way to Newcastle and we were all evacuated.

Also had a dream at the start of first lockdown where Pacers were put back into service on Newcastle to Morpeth trains only.

I have also had several other wacky dreams.

Tracked

Established Member
Been on holiday this week, out on trains most days so inevitably this seems to have prompted one:

A friend was taking me to Leeds early in the morning, before regular services start, instead of going in a car he'd got a powered trolley that was wide enough for train wheels to be put on.

We went down to Bentley (Yorkshire) crossings and got on the track there. Made it couple of hundred yards before it broke down, we left it on the tracks to go back to his house - not actually his house in real life - as it wasn't far.

To ensure nothing ran into it he suggested we switch the signalling to danger by using a couple of levels next to the track (the name of these escapes me now, he did refer to them by a name).

As we walked off the crossings an Azuma came down the same line, not at speed and it was slowing down but not in a way that would've prevented collision, although it had passed by enough to have collided there didn't seem to be an obvious impact.

Didn't wake at that point, the scene abruptly changed, I think we were in a garage (rather than prison! :D) but can't remember that bit too well

Intercity110

On Moderation
1. national express West Midlands started running trams to Northampton (the trams were enviro200) and a class 31 was being exported on the trams
2. Nuclear holocaust ( I was at euston and instead of going to the underground car park, I went to the top of the Eversholt street building, and killed myself when I get exposed to a tiny amount of radiation)

The NLR was converted to narrow gauge (crewe miniature railway size) and had American buildings, 47205 was hauling an Arlington barrier and a brake van.

Last edited:

rapmastaj

Here's one I had not long after the death of the Queen (n.b. I am not a royalist!).

I was on a train heading towards Oxford on the Cotswold line, reaching the end of a long journey. The train stopped at Charlbury and me and companions disembarked. Then we segued onto a coach tour going through the streets of the small, historic town, which were hung with multicoloured bunting. We passed through an archway and into a square. Then we were being shown round a large historic stone-built house by a middle aged woman. The house was empty and unoccupied.

Finally we reached the back porch of the house by the back door. The woman came in from the kitchen carrying a tray of hot cross buns, straight out of the oven. I thought they might be for us, but she placed them directly on the floor, to replace a tray of old, half-nibbled hot cross buns that had already been sitting on the floor there. She told us they were to feed the rats.

Last edited:

Purple Train

Established Member
I was waiting at Grange-over-Sands on the Carnforth-bound platform. A "train" came in - actually a convertible sports car on railway wheels - like Jeremy Clarkson's "Sports Train" without the trailer - driven by someone I (very slightly) know. I jumped down into the back and we drove off.
Instead of going over the Kent Viaduct, we magically ended up driving along the Braintree-Witham line, heading towards Witham, where there is a 10mph curve at the junction - the junction station looked like Witham, even though I "knew" it was Carnforth.
We never ended up there, though. The driver failed to reduce speed from about 70mph for the curve and we were thrown on our side into a cow field - both miraculously unharmed. The driver merely started laughing maniacally as we both surveyed the scene of the accident - the car was somehow also undamaged despite the impact.
Pretty strange, that one.

lxfe_mxtterz

I was waiting at Grange-over-Sands on the Carnforth-bound platform. A "train" came in - actually a convertible sports car on railway wheels - like Jeremy Clarkson's "Sports Train" without the trailer - driven by someone I (very slightly) know. I jumped down into the back and we drove off.
Instead of going over the Kent Viaduct, we magically ended up driving along the Braintree-Witham line, heading towards Witham, where there is a 10mph curve at the junction - the junction station looked like Witham, even though I "knew" it was Carnforth.
We never ended up there, though. The driver failed to reduce speed from about 70mph for the curve and we were thrown on our side into a cow field - both miraculously unharmed. The driver merely started laughing maniacally as we both surveyed the scene of the accident - the car was somehow also undamaged despite the impact.
Pretty strange, that one.
Inspired by this thread, by any chance? ;)

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/being-chased-by-cows.244037

Intercity110

On Moderation
This is actually quite a pleasant one. I was on the new 730s , when boarding it says ‘operated by avanti west coast’ (it was nameplate-style in the dream) the seats were in a 2+1, despite being 2nd class. We went to the cafè and ordered a french bread. They only had one, so it was split between us. We ate it in a booth-style seat, and all in all it was a really pleasant dream, but i don’t think they’ll be like that.

Mat17

I dreamt it was a sunny day in August 2022 and I was sat on a class 111 going to Leeds. It baffled every passenger on every platform, but it seemed perfectly reasonable traction to me, as if the gulf between 1989 and 2022 had not occured.

Intercity110

On Moderation
I was on the RTT thread here, and tom said WMT as a whole were joining, along with DB.
i was at 1960’s style northampton station and an SWT class 47 (in the white livery) with matching stock, passed through. I wonder if anyone could draw that for me?

william.martin

On Moderation
I was on the RTT thread here, and tom said WMT as a whole were joining, along with DB.
I wish.

The once I was dreaming having spent a day at Marston green and watching an unusual amount of Tesco trains go by. The dream was that it was 2123 and a new system of getting wagons off a train and into a siding much quicker had been invented; the Tesco class 66 and about 40 Tesco containers were rattling down some fictional main line and were approaching a set of points that led in to a freight terminal, about 200 yards out the driver hit a big red button in the cab and the rear two wagons decoupled. Then, in the gap that had been created from the tail of the (whole) train and the two wagons the points switched and the wagons shot off into the terminal where they hit the buffers at about 50 causing the container to shoot off the flat bed and into the back of a lorry :lol:

Last edited:

Intercity110

On Moderation
(1) i was posting on this forum, was talking about the 350/2s, i went to/from coventry for a week last summer for personal reasons, and i said that. Got restricted from posting, on moderation and my profile was surrounded by black and white stripes (A bit like 21.28 on https://www.railsigns.uk/sect21page6.html)
(2) i was travelling through the kelmarsh tunnels (same as they are now, just with track) on a BR 47+MK2 service and window hanging (something i’ve always wanted to do) and i was being blasted with air as we were travelling through at above 125 mph

On this forum everyone’s usernames changed to something radom, and then changed beck again like what happened to @that1pepfan

Last edited: