• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swifty

Established Member
Silly me. Clean forgot about the 12 and 533 (though I'd lumped X18 with U18!). I struggle to see how SGC can still justify the 533!

I realise that Burnett is low cost and is shared with two other operators but can't afford to lose much more work.

The 17 and 42 cover similar areas as the 533 and give similar journey options, but I must confess I'd forgot it served a few areas with out other services such as Kenilworth Road, Courtney Road and the back end of Staple Hill.

I wasn't aware Wessex shared their depot with anyone? I know Bugler and Wessex were at the opposite side of the site to BBC?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The 17 and 42 cover similar areas as the 533 and give similar journey options, but I must confess I'd forgot it served a few areas with out other services such as Kenilworth Road, Courtney Road and the back end of Staple Hill.

I wasn't aware Wessex shared their depot with anyone? I know Bugler and Wessex were at the opposite side of the site to BBC?

Think a de-minimis diversion for some of those.

I thought that RATP, Bugler and Wessex were all in the same compound with shared security? Apologies if I'm mistaken on that one

swifty

Established Member
Think a de-minimis diversion for some of those.

I thought that RATP, Bugler and Wessex were all in the same compound with shared security? Apologies if I'm mistaken on that one

Either that or I'm sure STL could pop up and cover some popular sections with an empty Sprinter :lol:

Burnett is quite a big site surprisingly, BBC are at the back in their original yard, and Bugler and Wessex are/were? down at the front with adjacent yards.

Martin2012

Even though I have asked for my account to be deleted or locked it seems that I can still post. :roll:

Anyway, even though the X27 Yate to Bristol service operated by Wessex ran for the last time on Saturday, 30th August there were still a few confused and disappointed people in Yate waiting for it this morning.

Many of the regulars will miss the X27 as it served The Centre and Anchor Road whereas all First services terminate at the Bus Station. Both of my X46 journeys today were almost full, presumably with many ex-X27 passengers.

It seems it took just 4.5 months to completely remove Wessex's Avonmouth depot's work from the Yate and Chipping Sodbury area. Mission accomplished?

I completely agree with you about the X27. My dad and a number of his work colleagues all used it as they work near Anchor Road and they are very disappointed about the fact its been taken off.

Admittedly I am rather surprised Wessex did pull the route given the fact it seemed to be well used. Does anyone know the reason as to why they decided to withdraw it?

I used the service a couple of times on Saturday (including the very last journey on the route). I was expecting the bus to be packed out with families, on the journey back from Bristol at 1710 but instead only a few concessionary passholders boarded. Does anyone know if the loadings were always low on a Saturday?

The timetable on a Saturday also made no sense to me. During the week the last journey from Yate to Bristol was around 1700/1800, which presumably meant that at least one bus returned to the depot empty after arriving into Bristol. However on Saturday there was a later last journey from Yate to Bristol around 1910 and Wessex appeared to send an extra vehicle down empty from the depot to work this one journey

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Wessex to run a later service from Bristol to Yate around 1800 on Saturdays?

winston270twm

Established Member
It would of made perfect sense. It seems like Rotala don't want to fight anymore in Bristol!

Rotala don't seem too keen on fighting / getting themselves involved in bus wars. They have been pushed off a number of long-term competitive routes against NXWM and seem happy to pack up and walk away. There are a few pockets on routes where they have fought back and introduced 'Value' fares, but as with the X27, they generally seem to just go when pushed.

g4mby

Does anyone know the reason as to why they decided to withdraw it?

When First registered the X46 it was seen (obviously) to compete with the X27. South Gloucestershire Council had no alternative but to withdraw their subsidy - they can't subsidise competing services. From the very first day of X46 operation Wessex lost passengers to First who of course have alternative routes between Yate and Bristol. Wessex attempted to fight back with slightly lower fares and an early departure from Yate which in fact was always poorly supported but they really had nothing special to offer apart from serving The Centre and Anchor Road. Their reduced Saturday service meant that the hourly X46 was always goint to be the better option for shoppers. Right until the very last Friday there were regular and loyal commuters but there were simply not enough of them.

Wessex made many mistakes while operating the X27 service. They range range from trying to operate unreliable vehicles (30005 & 30006 which failed many, many times) just because they carried X27 branding to unrealistic and unwanted changes to the time table that made no economic sense. Their 0620 departure from Yate just took passengers away from the 0640 departure. So two buses operated each day where previously there was just the one. Changing the 1600 departure from Bristol to 1550 meant some commuters had no choice but to switch to First as they weren't allowed to leave work 10 minutes earlier. In order to return from Bristol at 1550, the inbound service had to get to Bristol 10 minutes quicker and to do that it had to miss out all of the stops in North Yate. Madness!

From 14th April, when the X46 service started, the days of the X27 were always numbered and as I have said previously it took just over four months for First to almost remove Wessex from the Yate and Chipping Sodbury area. I would imagine that what is left, the 84, 86 and 620 services, First don't want anyway.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There is a three page article in 'Coach and Bus Week' August 27th issue headlined 'Wessex Connect fined for poor punctuality'. At a TC Public Enquiry Flights Hallmarks Ltd trading as Wessex Connect were fined £19,200 for having a non-compliance rate of 21.6%, particularly in relation to route 13. No mention of Rotala in any of the report.

swifty

Established Member
There is a three page article in 'Coach and Bus Week' August 27th issue headlined 'Wessex Connect fined for poor punctuality'. At a TC Public Enquiry Flights Hallmarks Ltd trading as Wessex Connect were fined £19,200 for having a non-compliance rate of 21.6%, particularly in relation to route 13. No mention of Rotala in any of the report.

That's the third time they've been up in front the TC for non-compliance in the WTA since 2008.

freetoview33

Established Member
I know the 13 did suffer very very badly with roadworks from Fishponds - U.W.E which is part of the reason but still shouldn't of been that bad!

Martin2012

When First registered the X46 it was seen (obviously) to compete with the X27. South Gloucestershire Council had no alternative but to withdraw their subsidy - they can't subsidise competing services. From the very first day of X46 operation Wessex lost passengers to First who of course have alternative routes between Yate and Bristol. Wessex attempted to fight back with slightly lower fares and an early departure from Yate which in fact was always poorly supported but they really had nothing special to offer apart from serving The Centre and Anchor Road. Their reduced Saturday service meant that the hourly X46 was always goint to be the better option for shoppers. Right until the very last Friday there were regular and loyal commuters but there were simply not enough of them.

Wessex made many mistakes while operating the X27 service. They range range from trying to operate unreliable vehicles (30005 & 30006 which failed many, many times) just because they carried X27 branding to unrealistic and unwanted changes to the time table that made no economic sense. Their 0620 departure from Yate just took passengers away from the 0640 departure. So two buses operated each day where previously there was just the one. Changing the 1600 departure from Bristol to 1550 meant some commuters had no choice but to switch to First as they weren't allowed to leave work 10 minutes earlier. In order to return from Bristol at 1550, the inbound service had to get to Bristol 10 minutes quicker and to do that it had to miss out all of the stops in North Yate. Madness!

From 14th April, when the X46 service started, the days of the X27 were always numbered and as I have said previously it took just over four months for First to almost remove Wessex from the Yate and Chipping Sodbury area. I would imagine that what is left, the 84, 86 and 620 services, First don't want anyway.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. On the whole I found the X27 to be very reliable but there were still several incidences where I went to catch the service and it didn't turn up due to a vehicle having failed.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know the 13 did suffer very very badly with roadworks from Fishponds - U.W.E which is part of the reason but still shouldn't of been that bad!

The T.C. took that into account and also castigated the U.W.E. and local council into the bargain but said that wasn't sufficient excuse for other failures.

winston270twm

Established Member
PH1066711/118 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ

Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: MARSHFIELD
Finish Point: BATH
Via:
Service Number: 79
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 21-SEP-2014
Other Details: MONDAY TO SATURDAY EXCLUDING BANK HOLIDAYS

PH1066711/119 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ

Starting Point: TORMARTON
Finish Point: KINGSWOOD
Via:
Service Number: 634
Effective Date: 22-SEP-2014
Other Details: MONDAY TO FRIDAY EXCLUDING BANK HOLIDAYS

PH1066711/120 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ

Starting Point: WICK
Finish Point: KEYNSHAM
Via:
Service Number: 684
Effective Date: 22-SEP-2014
Other Details: TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS ONLY 1 JOURNEY EACH WAY

Martin2012

Am not sure if anyone is interested in this but here in Yate the college day/term time only route 680 from Yate to Filton College has now changed operators to Eurotaxis.

This company seem to be mainly running the route with a full size coach, something which South Glos Bus and Coach very rarely did. The passenger levels on this service are still sufficient enough to enable a smaller vehicle to be used but the larger one makes for a much more comfortable journey.

The notices about Avon Riders in Paulton were put up by Wessex, bit blunt to say the least but since First stopped selling return tickets Wessex are not actually abliged to accept First Day tickets. All academic as First have registered the evening 178/179 journies commercially anyway.

Buglars no longer rent a yard in Burnett, their depot is now in Clutton. However, a bus still parks there that does a school contract in Bath and will presumeably run the truncated U18B when it restarts

matt_splat

Buglars are operating enviro 200 CX57FGU on the 672

meanwhile had it reported to me that Bath Bus Company have some kind of gas bus single decker demonstrator out on the A4

Colly405

Job advert seen on a 502 this morning...
" Wessex is expanding operations in South West of England..."

Anyone any idea what they are planning?

g4mby

Job advert seen on a 502 this morning...
" Wessex is expanding operations in South West of England..."

Anyone any idea what they are planning?

A couple of months ago, on the West Midlands Bus forum, Simon Dunn said to expect an announcement around Christmas. He didn't say about what though.

THarris123

Established Member
Interesting to see on Traveline that Wessex are planning to change all the 12 services in Bristol in January.

I'm thinking they might also have a stab at competing with the 376 and possibly the X39 stuff. I know before the 379 was introduced hourly, they had planned a similar sort of service as the 379.

Another thought - have Wessex won the Metrobus contracts?

Anything's possible.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Interesting to see on Traveline that Wessex are planning to change all the 12 services in Bristol in January.

I'm thinking they might also have a stab at competing with the 376 and possibly the X39 stuff. I know before the 379 was introduced hourly, they had planned a similar sort of service as the 379.

Another thought - have Wessex won the Metrobus contracts?

Anything's possible.

Isn't it quite a while until the Metrobus BRT is going to be started?

I'd be surprised if they went for the X39 as it's on a high frequency but you never know. The 376 is less frequent but it's a way out of their operating territory. They've tended to simply copy First routes.....perhaps something like C33 suggested and a service that runs from Stockwood and Whitchurch to town along the Wells Road?

matt_splat

this really must be wessexs last chance to have a go at competing in this area if it fails this time they can't have much hope left

winston270twm

Established Member
A couple of months ago, on the West Midlands Bus forum, Simon Dunn said to expect an announcement around Christmas. He didn't say about what though.

That's interesting, I'll put some more questions to Simon re: Wessex & see what I can find out
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's interesting, I'll put some more questions to Simon re: Wessex & see what I can find out

I haven't got a great deal extra from Simon re: Wessex Expansion at present

- New South West region created from Nov
- New MD appointed from mid Jan 2015

No dates for registrations going in with Vosa yet,

Replies are here & onwards:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=2074.1095

Last edited:

g4mby

winston270twm

Established Member
Interested? Here's how to apply. :D

http://www.rotalaplc.com/careers/ManagingDirectorSouthWestRegion_10.html

I hope that the new MD gets the region's branding sorted out. Far too many brandnames in use in the Bristol and Bath areas. At least Wessex Red seems to have gone quickly.

From Simon's reply, I kinda got the impression that someone has already been appointed to start from mid Jan.

We have the same at Diamond with four liveries still in existence, i.e. Go West Midlands, Red Diamond, Black Diamond & Diamond (allover blue)

The fact they've appointed/are appointed Wessex with it's own dedicated MD suggests they are looking to mange things better/hopefully improve things.

It will be interesting to see what this planned expansion amounts to and whether they launch any new commercial services against First

matt_splat

I think Wessex it self looks tacky the star branding isn't nice at all....

in other news a Wessex solo lost a wheel today by sainsburys while in service in bath

winston270twm

Established Member
Wessex variations starting to appear on VOSA, hopefully we may find out soon if any new services are planned:

PH1066711/105 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number 13 effective from 05-Jan-2015. To amend Timetable.

PH1066711/106 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number 19 effective from 05-Jan-2015. To amend Timetable.

PH1066711/107 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number 14 effective from 05-Jan-2015. To amend Timetable.

PH1066711/109 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number 11A effective from 10-Jan-2015. To amend Timetable.

Volvodart

Established Member
From Simon's reply, I kinda got the impression that someone has already been appointed to start from mid Jan.

It is reported in the trade press this week that it is Simon Cursio from First Cymru (and formerly commercial director for First West & Wales).