• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

winston270twm

Established Member
It is reported in the trade press this week that it is Simon Cursio from First Cymru (and formerly commercial director for First West & Wales).

Thanks Volvodart, may be Rotala might make a bit of a comeback against First in Bristol.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

PH1066711/37 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Longwell Green and Keynsham given service number 523/533 effective from 10-Jan-2015.

Last edited:

swifty

Established Member
Thanks Volvodart, may be Rotala might make a bit of a comeback against First in Bristol.

PH1066711/37 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Longwell Green and Keynsham given service number 523/533 effective from 10-Jan-2015.

Hmm seems like a bit of a come down?

Interesting that they've only cancelled the Keynsham leg, which BANES wanted to withdraw funding for. It implies the Mangotsfield to Longwell Green link, funded by SGC, is to still run funded by them?

freetoview33

Established Member
Hmm seems like a bit of a come down?

Interesting that they've only cancelled the Keynsham leg, which BANES wanted to withdraw funding for. It implies the Mangotsfield to Longwell Green link, funded by SGC, is to still run funded by them?

There isn't any registration for the other part of the trip so unless something new is registered then it would seem the whole route is being withdrawn.

swifty

Established Member
Buglars are operating enviro 200 CX57FGU on the 672

meanwhile had it reported to me that Bath Bus Company have some kind of gas bus single decker demonstrator out on the A4

Scania/E300 YT13YUK is the one, although it carries overall wrap for Wessex Water subsidiary GENEco.

The UK’s first ever bus powered by food and human waste will drop passengers from Bristol Airport into Bath tomorrow.

The 40-seater Bio-Bus is fuelled by biomethane gas generated by the treatment of sewage and food waste at a processing plant in Bristol.

A single tank of the gas - produced using the typical annual waste of five people - is enough to power the vehicle for 190 miles.

The processing plant is run by GENeco, a subsidiary of Wessex Water, and bosses say the bus proves there is value in human poo.

This week GENeco became the first company in the UK to start injecting gas generated from food waste and sewage into the national gas grid network.

At the same time it installed a gas refuelling plant for the bus.

GENeco general manager Mohammed Saddiq said: “Through treating sewage and food that’s unfit for human consumption we’re able to produce enough biomethane to provide a significant supply of gas to the national gas network that’s capable of powering almost 8,500 homes as well as fuelling the Bio-Bus.

“Gas powered vehicles have an important role to play in improving air quality in UK cities, but the Bio-Bus goes further than that and is actually powered by people living in the local area, including quite possibly those on the bus itself.

“Using biomethane in this way not only provides a sustainable fuel, but also reduces our reliance on traditional fossil fuels.”

The annual waste generated from one bus load of passengers would provide enough power for the Bio-Bus to travel a return journey from Land’s End to John O’Groats.

Bath Bus Company is operating the service and engineering director Collin Field is expecting up to 10,000 people to travel on the service in a month.

It is also available for local journeys along the route through Saltford, Keynsham, Brislington, Knowle and Hengrove.

Mr Field said: “The timing of this initiative could not be more appropriate as we approach 2015 when the City of Bristol itself becomes European Green Capital.

“With so much attention being directed towards improving air quality generally, the public reaction to the appearance of this bus on a service between a World Heritage City and an airport will further focus on the potential for this particular fuel.”

Bristol sewage treatment works treats around 75 million cubic metres of sewage waste and 35,000 tonnes of food waste every year.

It generates 17 million cubic metres of biomethane through a process, known as anaerobic digestion– the equivalent of meeting the power needs of 8,300 homes.

Charlotte Morton, chief executive of the Anaerobic Digestion & Bioresources Association, said the bus showed human poo and our waste food are valuable resources.

She said: “food which is unsuitable for human consumption should be separately collected and recycled through anaerobic digestion into green gas and biofertilisers, not wasted in landfill sites or incinerators.

“The Bio-Bus will also help to demonstrate the true value of separate food waste collections, which are now obligatory in all other regions, to the English government.”

Read more: http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bus-...arrives-Bath/story-24560751-detail/story.html

winston270twm

Established Member
PH1066711/108 - FLIGHTS HALLMARK LTD, BEACON HOUSE, LONG ACRE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, B7 5JJ
Variation Accepted: Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number 12/12c effective from 05-Jan-2015. To amend Timetable.

Colly405

Change of legal entity for Wessex.

It seems that Flights Hallmark Ltd, the company that traded as Wessex, was renamed Wessex Bus Ltd on 27th November (according to companycheck.co.uk). The Rotala website reflects this, but has the legal name been updated in the legals on the sides of the buses yet?

The Aztec Bus website is correct, but the Wessex Star site still states that Wessex Star is a trading name of Flights Hallmark Ltd (same company number). The Wessex Bus website, www.wessexbus.com, seems to make no mention of the legal company name.

freetoview33

Established Member
Yeah. I think the change happened to simplify things.
And no legals haven't changed
"312: Service will operate between Thornbury and UWE Frenchay Campus only.

The section of route between Downend and UWE Frenchay is withdrawn. Timetable amended to run at peak times only, service is now running commercially Monday to Friday, Saturday service is withdrawn."

"622: Thornbury to Tetbury – Severnside

Service now running to Tetbury via Yate, Chipping Sodbury, Didmarton and Westonbirt Arboretum, section between Thornbury and Cribbs Causeway has now been withdrawn due to another commercial operator running this part of the route. Service will run every 120 minutes during the day. School journey will still operate between Lower Almondsbury and Marlwood/Castle School.

Sunday service will still exist operated by Wessex Connect."

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/transpo...blic-transport/buses/changes-to-bus-services/

g4mby

"622: Thornbury to Tetbury – Severnside

Service now running to Tetbury via Yate, Chipping Sodbury, Didmarton and Westonbirt Arboretum, section between Thornbury and Cribbs Causeway has now been withdrawn due to another commercial operator running this part of the route. Service will run every 120 minutes during the day. School journey will still operate between Lower Almondsbury and Marlwood/Castle School.
[/url]

I'm not seeing any schedules on the Traveline web-site. Frequent changes to routings, timings or whatever will do these secondary services no good.

Regular travellers will stick with what they know or already have paid for in the form of pre-paid, rover, season, whatever-you-want-to-call-them tickets.

freetoview33

Established Member
I'm not seeing any schedules on the Traveline web-site. Frequent changes to routings, timings or whatever will do these secondary services no good.

Regular travellers will stick with what they know or already have paid for in the form of pre-paid, rover, season, whatever-you-want-to-call-them tickets.

Indeed I can't find an timetables on traveline for it! But we all knew that with the new First services this would be coming, it should also boost the 83/87 so will be a good thing. I'm guessing the 27 to Tetbury will now be withdrawn too! Also wondering if the 620 will be cut back a little bit from Old Sodbury to Chipping Sodbury

Last edited:

Martin2012

Interesting to see they're re-introducing a direct service between Yate and Tetbury. I hope that the service still continues to link in with the 620 as the 27 has done and that there's an early enough departure from Tetbury to Yate which will allow people to use the bus for work/educational commitments as surely this way usage of the service will be higher.

I always felt that the Bath-Tetbury services should have been split in Yate with the 27 running Tetbury-Yate and 620 running Yate-Bath(or possibly Chipping Sodbury-Bath).

I'm not surprised that the 622 is being withdrawn between Thornbury and Cribbs as its not like there is a shortage of First Bus services. I am a tiny bit disappointed about it though as I've always preferred to use the 622 when traveling to/from The Mall as opposed to the 82 and the former 482/483 route.

Marcus Fryer

Indeed I can't find an timetables on traveline for it! But we all knew that with the new First services this would be coming, it should also boost the 83/87 so will be a good thing. I'm guessing the 27 to Tetbury will now be withdrawn too! Also wondering if the 620 will be cut back a little bit from Old Sodbury to Chipping Sodbury

The new timetable for the 622 is now on Traveline, but no changes shown for the 27 0r 620 yet!

According to the South Gloucestershire website, the changes to the 622 will now come in on the 11th January (?).

Spoke to a 622 driver on Wednesday and she confirmed the 622 changes from Monday (5th January).

Martin2012

Have just seen the timetable for the new 622 service. Interestingly, the first two journeys of the day from Thornbury to Yate and the last two journeys of the day from Yate to Thornbury now run via the trading estate in Waverly Road as opposed to Cranleigh Court Road, Halifax Road and North Road

It is also good to see an improved service from Yate to Tetbury once again with the last bus back to Tetbury at 1800. Interestingly, the first bus of the day from Tetbury is timetabled to arrive into Yate at 0718 and then doesn't go out again until 0745 so quite a long wait. I wonder if this timetable is designed with 620 connections in mind?

One thing I think could have been done differently is I would have had the first trip towards Tetbury starting at Lower Almonsbury and similarly I would have had the last couple of trips returning from Yate(the ones which serve the trading estate) being extended there. This way I reckon the service would have been more attractive to those using the service at commuting times.

g4mby

Have just seen the timetable for the new 622 service. Interestingly, the first two journeys of the day from Thornbury to Yate and the last two journeys of the day from Yate to Thornbury now run via the trading estate in Waverly Road as opposed to Cranleigh Court Road, Halifax Road and North Road.

I think Wessex used to do this or something similar on the 482/483? No doubt there is a good reason to do this but why make it difficult for passengers. Either give the service a different number, say 621 or 623, or add an "A" suffix.

Marcus Fryer

Have just seen the timetable for the new 622 service. Interestingly, the first two journeys of the day from Thornbury to Yate and the last two journeys of the day from Yate to Thornbury now run via the trading estate in Waverly Road as opposed to Cranleigh Court Road, Halifax Road and North Road

It is also good to see an improved service from Yate to Tetbury once again with the last bus back to Tetbury at 1800. Interestingly, the first bus of the day from Tetbury is timetabled to arrive into Yate at 0718 and then doesn't go out again until 0745 so quite a long wait. I wonder if this timetable is designed with 620 connections in mind?

One thing I think could have been done differently is I would have had the first trip towards Tetbury starting at Lower Almonsbury and similarly I would have had the last couple of trips returning from Yate(the ones which serve the trading estate) being extended there. This way I reckon the service would have been more attractive to those using the service at commuting times.

Also, with the first departure from Tetbury at 06:45 and the last arrival at 18:33, either a bus will be outstationed there or there is a bit of dead running. Do Severnside Transport keep all their buses in Patchway?

matt_splat

i doubt they would outstation only about a 40 min dead run back down the A46 or back via the M5

Martin2012

Am pretty sure Wessex Connect used to have dead mileage when the 620 route started/ended at Tetbury. Am pretty sure the last two trips back from Bath involved running light back to the depot afterwards.

Marcus Fryer

The new timetable for the 622 is now on Traveline, but no changes shown for the 27 or 620 yet!

According to the South Gloucestershire website, the changes to the 622 will now come in on the 11th January (?).

Spoke to a 622 driver on Wednesday and she confirmed the 622 changes from Monday (5th January).

The 622 is running to Tetbury as from today; the 27/620 haven't changed. The timetable displays at Yate (bus station) and Tetbury (Long Street) don't show the new 622 timetable (departures to Cribbs Causeway/ Chipping Sodbury still shown at Yate). Yate 1-stop shop and Tetbury Tourist Office were unaware of the 622 changes until I asked if they had any information.

With this lack of information, it's not surprising there was only one other passenger from Yate to Tetbury on the 11:00. The 12:00 return left Tetbury empty (I returned to Yate via Malmesbury - only passenger on the 278, and between Sherston and Old Sodbury had the 14:00 41 to myself (apart from the driver, of course).

Marc

The severnside transport website isnt much help,, they still have a timetable for the 555 bus which was canceled ages ago. I dont think the timetable on traveline makes sense as the bus which goes to tetbury at 1333 seems to reappear at thornbury for 1425 which seems optimistic.

I wonder how long severnsides 312 will last now it is supposerdly commercial. Firsts 83 should easily kill that stone dead.

freetoview33

Established Member
The severnside transport website isnt much help,, they still have a timetable for the 555 bus which was canceled ages ago. I dont think the timetable on traveline makes sense as the bus which goes to tetbury at 1333 seems to reappear at thornbury for 1425 which seems optimistic.

I wonder how long severnsides 312 will last now it is supposerdly commercial. Firsts 83 should easily kill that stone dead.

Give it until April!

Marc

Yes, the first 83 from UWE to Thrornbury is 0840 and the last at 1537, where as the 312 is 0725, 0808, 1600, 1714, 1830 & 1910.

I hadnt seen that the 83 was offpeaks only. Does this use buses off of the X18 by any chance? Ive always thought it odd that they have a route like that with no obviious work for it between the rushhour journeys.

The fact that the 83 doesnt run during rushhours also makes the withdrawel of subsidy for the 312 strange unless it is carrying enough passengers to be commercial? As im not in the area at that time of day, i dont know what they do carry. I have been on it during the day and usually had the bus to myself.

Colly405

Re the Thornbury locals 613 and 614.

Does anyone know what licence they are run on? I can't find them on VOSA anywhere.

Traveline says they are run by Four Towns Vale Link, but is that the Severnside licence, or do they have their own?