• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Ealing - Greenford fast-charge trial updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Interesting move GWR buying it as if it is a success will they (First) be able to license it out or sell it to a manufacturer for building new stock?
The least of it is that the ideas etc are sill alive in the UK. It must also be a vote of confidence by GWR in the fast charge technology.

D365

Veteran Member
Fantastic. I’ve been tracking the progress of Vivarail’s fast charge technology for a number of years; very impressed to see GWR making an active commitment.

My only disappointment is that I didn’t get a place on the April “show-and-tell” for IMechE!

Benjwri

Established Member
Full GWR press release available here:

Fast-charging battery trial to resume after GWR agrees deal to purchase Vivarail assets​

Great Western Railway has completed the purchase of a number of assets from emission-free battery and hybrid trains manufacturer Vivarail, which entered administration last December.
GWR has agreed contracts to buy intellectual property, rolling stock and equipment relating to the development of high-performance battery and FastCharge technology designed to support wider introduction of battery-powered trains on the UK’s rail network.
The deal secures the future of planned trials of the technology in a real-world environment, which GWR was supporting between West Ealing and Greenford.
The company has also employed nine former Vivarail staff to support the trials and project development.
GWR Engineering Director Simon Green said:
“We’ve been working closely with the Vivarail team on this exciting project for some time, and we are delighted we have been able to step in and make sure its important work can continue.
“There have clearly been some setbacks that mean we will need to review the existing plans and timescales, but we will continue to work with Network Rail and the Department for Transport to get the project back on track.
“This work is a key part of our commitment to reduce the carbon emissions of our train fleet with a view to removing all diesel-only traction from the network by 2040, in line with the Government’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan.”

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Interesting move GWR buying it as if it is a success will they (First) be able to license it out or sell it to a manufacturer for building new stock?
As the release says they've bought the Intellectual Property (not taken a licence) that means that they will be able to licence it. I would hazard a guess it is only the rights specific to fast charging though, as there will be IP in the diesel-electric and straight electric Vivarail variants operated, or to be operated, by TfW and SWT.

Roger B

So is anyone able to give a rough idea when they expect the Greenford trial using 230001 to start?

Meerkat

Established Member

fgwrich

Established Member
Who has actually bought it? Is it First Group, or is it a TOC asset that will transfer to the next franchisee?
Doesn't sound like something First Group would want to own, and could get expensive for the next franchisee if they have to buy it.
I guess it might be temporary - GWR/DfT need it now and need continuity but an engineering company might buy it off them after taking a longer look.

I’m pleased to see this finally happening at last, it was certainly mooted a few weeks ago as both First Group and the DfT were keen to see it go ahead.

As for ownership, I’m not sure if it’s First Rail Holdings or the TOC that has bought the technology and the unit, but I’d have thought it would have been the former with permission from the DfT.

leytongabriel

Mod Note: Posts #108 - #118 originaly in their own thread and then merged into this one.

Seems that GWR are purchasing Vivarail and securing the Greenford branch battery train experiment.
Will this have any implications for the Marston Vale line too?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Seems that GWR are purchasing Vivarail and securing the Greenford branch battery train experiment.
It’s not likely to affect Marston Vale at all, because GWR have only purchased the IP rights for the fast charge system.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
GWR has purchased some of Vivarail's assets, but not the company itself.

Fast-charging battery trial to resume after GWR agrees deal to purchase Vivarail assets​

Great Western Railway has completed the purchase of a number of assets from emission-free battery and hybrid trains manufacturer Vivarail, which entered administration last December.
GWR has agreed contracts to buy intellectual property, rolling stock and equipment relating to the development of high-performance battery and FastCharge technology designed to support wider introduction of battery-powered trains on the UK’s rail network.
The deal secures the future of planned trials of the technology in a real-world environment, which GWR was supporting between West Ealing and Greenford.
The company has also employed nine former Vivarail staff to support the trials and project development.
GWR Engineering Director Simon Green said:
“We’ve been working closely with the Vivarail team on this exciting project for some time, and we are delighted we have been able to step in and make sure its important work can continue.
“There have clearly been some setbacks that mean we will need to review the existing plans and timescales, but we will continue to work with Network Rail and the Department for Transport to get the project back on track.
“This work is a key part of our commitment to reduce the carbon emissions of our train fleet with a view to removing all diesel-only traction from the network by 2040, in line with the Government’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan.”

Vivarail itself is being wound up by its administrator, having failed to secure a buyer.

Vivarail will be wound up and its remaining assets sold to pay creditors, after no rescue bids were received for the failed train manufacturer.

Having consumed “significant” amounts of cash on product development, delayed introductions of new trains, contract renegotiations with train operators, and higher-than-expected maintenance costs on the West Midlands Trains (WMT) Class 230 fleet, the company was facing a £1 million shortfall at the end of 2023.

As a result, when primary financial backer Railroad Development Corporation (RDC) declined to provide additional assistance in October 2022, the company was forced to seek alternatives.

Vivarail’s administrator, Grant Thornton, explored new sources of funding - including banks, key customers, and government bodies. But none was prepared to provide backing.

This led to the company being placed in administration on November 23 2022 and offered for sale, with the loss of 39 jobs. Despite interest from at least four parties in late 2022, no offers were received for the business or assets.

RDC owned 50% of Vivarail shares, with the late Adrian Shooter holding 26.8% before his death in late 2022. The remaining shares were split equally between three individuals: Neil Bates, Ian Wenman and David King.

In a report filed to Companies House on January 23, Grant Thornton advises that a proposal for maintenance operations to continue on the Class 230 fleet was rejected by WMT due to increased costs, a lack of warranty support, and a requirement for indemnities in favour of the administrators. As a result, a further 22 employees were made redundant, leaving just seven to assist in the liquidation process.

DanNCL

Established Member
GWR have purchased 230001 and the intellectual property for Vivarail's battery technology, but not the business itself. A few former Vivarail employees have also transferred to GWR.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Do we know if the Vivarail assets are franchise owned or First Group owned?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It is a GWR asset, not a FG one.
Which suggests DfT have put their hand in their pocket and funded it which is good although probably helps keep their decarbonisation credentials going and provides a photo op in due course as well but hopefully a sign Merriman will take a different line.

Meerkat

Established Member
I assume the GWR/DfT plan is that a production version would have enough batteries to run to Reading for unit swaps etc, rather than the Vivarail multiple small depots concept??
Or is there a plan to test the integration of a pantograph (IIRC Vivarail we’re offering to develop that option) before adapting to a production (ie Aventra or similar) version?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I may be wrong but I thought these trickle charged from a pantograph at West Ealing
It’s a pair of DC charging rails in the four foot at West Ealing, only energised when the unit is in place above them, and is explained somewhere online, I’ll try and find the link, here you are it‘s described in post #118 in an earlier closed thread:

AIUI there’s no OHLE in the bay at West Ealing, because it’s not directly accessible from the electrified area.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Correct, it’s charging rails using the former LU traction pickup. The idea of converting a D Stock carriage with pantograph fell by the wayside pretty quickly.

TurboMan

Correct, it’s charging rails using the former LU traction pickup. The idea of converting a D Stock carriage with pantograph fell by the wayside pretty quickly.
It's new shoegear located under the vehicle, not any of the existing LU shoegear which was removed from the train when it was converted to 230, and 3 charging rails all in the 4ft. I posted about it in the other thread here.

D365

Veteran Member
It's new shoegear located under the vehicle, not any of the existing LU shoegear which was removed from the train when it was converted to 230, and 3 charging rails all in the 4ft. I posted about it in the other thread here.
Sounds like a fair amount of change in the ~5 years since I was last involved :)

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Will this be the first third rail GWR train?
The GWR's Class 769s have 3rd rail pickup shoes.

And the GWR did own some 4th rail trains 100 years ago. Early Hammersmith & City stock was jointly owned between the Metropolitan Railway and the GWR, until the GWR sold its share to the Met in 1923.

Status
Not open for further replies.