• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the two closest stations on the same line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And of course nobody has mentioned that there shouldn't actually be anyone paying £4 anyway for that journey with £1.60 on Oyster.

SqUaShIe P

And of course nobody has mentioned that there shouldn't actually be anyone paying £4 anyway for that journey with £1.60 on Oyster.

Im sure we all use oyster cards, but even paying by oyster is like day light robbery.

I want my car back, it costs pennys!

a fiver on an oyster card wont even last a day

a fiver in the punto will last all week :D

Chester025

What is a 'chain' anyway? Is it some unit of measure that strangely ive never heard of, or is it something more technical?

Miles and chains is the system for measuring distances on nearly all railway lines in this country! There are obvious exceptions, such as HS1. But generally on a railway bridge, for example, will be the distance marker with miles and chains (for instance, "23mi 45ch"). A chain is quite an appropriate unit of distance on the railways IMO.

LilLoaf

Shortest distance between town stations. Doesn't it have to be Covent Garden - Leicester Square on the piccadilly line.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't have the exact distance, but Montpelier and Redland appear to be about 0.36 miles apart following the track according to Google Earth. I feel it's worth pointing out that the correspoding journey by road takes you through a give-way sign, four sets of traffic lights and a mini-roundabout.

WillPS

Established Member
So spinning this off a little, what's the standard single fair you can find between two stations? The lowest price I've found has been Kirkby-in-Ashfield to Sutton Parkway at £1, but I'm sure there are cheaper...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dockyard - Devonport CDS 70p; SDS 80p

The distance between the two (again, using the rather rough Google Earth "path" tool) is 0.39 miles.

mackenzie_blu

but city thameslink is a mile long (good for overcrowding :D)

Not quite that long but the platforms are fully in use yet with the side nearest Blackfriars seeing trains where as the end of the station towards Farringdon is unused making the stations closer. Although once TLP is finished Blackfriars will move away from City! Well the platforms anyway!

EM2

Established Member
It just so happened that today, I needed to go Embankment to Charing Cross and Leicester Square to Covent Garden (both as part of longer trips!)
From the brakes coming off to coming to a stop:
E - CX = 45secs
LS- CG = 38secs

t0ffeeman

South Ealing to Northfields is pretty short. The east end of Northfields very close to the west end of South Ealing.Of course, the station entrances are on the opposite ends of these platforms....

Oracle

Established Member
South Ealing to Northfields used to be cited by LT, along with Covent Garden to Leicester Square as the shortest distances on the Underground. In recent years they have just referred to CG to LS. I think that there is a very slight advantage in the latter's favour. However, during WW2 there was an emergency exit from the east end of Northfields that was extant for decades. It was of concrete construction and was accessed by steps up to an overbridge that then ran on the north side of the EB Local to Weymouth Avenue. Here is a photo taken in 1948 from the overbridge:

http://www.ltmcollection.org/images/webmax/5y/i000095y.jpg

Here is the location:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.500039&lon=-0.310626&z=18.9&r=0&src=msl

The distance between Weymouth Avenue and the platform ends of SE station or even South Ealing Road is minimal. However, that of course requires the definition of 'distance between' to be stretched!

me123

Established Member
Only 20 chains from Dumbarton Central to Dalreoch further up the North Clyde Line.

SqUaShIe P

It just so happened that today, I needed to go Embankment to Charing Cross and Leicester Square to Covent Garden (both as part of longer trips!)
From the brakes coming off to coming to a stop:
E - CX = 45secs
LS- CG = 38secs

Yeah, So maybe the train goes at a greater speed between LS + CG then it does between E + CX :D

depends on how were measuring it. Closest in TIME or closest in DISTANCE

A60K

Yeah, So maybe the train goes at a greater speed between LS + CG then it does between E + CX :D

depends on how were measuring it. Closest in TIME or closest in DISTANCE

Leicester Square to Covent Garden beats Embankment to CX on both counts.

West India Quay to Canary Wharf takes the overall prize though.

In ye olden days, Manchester Victoria to Manchester Exchange?

Oswyntail

Established Member
South Ealing to Northfields is pretty short. The east end of Northfields very close to the west end of South Ealing.Of course, the station entrances are on the opposite ends of these platforms....
I can understand the short distances in the centre of a town, but why were two fairly expensive establishments built so close?

OMGitsDAVE

The closest i can think of is Seaton Carew - Hartlepool. 2 Minutes on the train, and thats if it stops at the signal. aha!

(But, the timetable states 5 minutes, so it is often waiting in hartlepool for the remainder)

CCF23

Canary Wharf to either Heron Quays or West India Quay on the DLR, i know these are the closest three stations anywhere in the world on the same line !

Status
Not open for further replies.