• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the two closest stations on the same line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are two stations on one of the Valley lines that are quite close - can't remember where though!

Edit: think it may be Birchgrove to Ty-Glas, 0.19 miles according to Google Earth.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Did the same service stop at both stations? If not, then it doesn't count.

Man ex Man Vic, The thread leader says on the same line, both were on the
same line, nothing about services, but I take your point as well.

Exchange station used to stand at the south end of Victoria station and even used to share one platform. This was the longest railway platform in the world.

in the 60s, Exchange was closed on Sundays all services for North Wales left from Victoria
station, using the very same platform.

Last edited:

Oracle

Established Member
LT used to quote both LS to CG and vice versa and Northfields to South Ealing and vice versa, though I can imagine that Westbound from SE to Northfields might in practice take slightly longer.

jrhilton

Outside of cities on the national rail network, Sunbury and Kempton Park are about 425m appart, and I make that about 21.1 chains. Cost is £1.60, or £1.05 if you have a young persons railcard for a 1 minute jounrey, or a walk of under ten minutes.

The next shortest I can think of that I have been through are Kingston to Hampton Wick, which is about 450 meters (22.4 chains) I think.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
On my line where I work, there's Bowes Park and Palmer's Green which are quite close enough that you can easily see all trains between the two at either station.

Or how about Palmer's Green to Winchmore Hill, might surprise some but the two journey's above are booked to take 2 minutes ie Bowes Park to Palmer's Green as a two minute journey and Palmer's Green to Winchmore Hill as the second two minute journey!

Can't say there's anything closer then that on my line!

Or how about Welwyn Garden City and Welwyn North which are 3 mins apart!

dave12435

Denham Golf Club - Denham on the Chiltern line must be pretty chort as u can see one from the end of the other platforms
only looks bout a few hundred metres

fgwrich

Established Member
Originally Posted by Waverley125
got it, West India Quay & Canary Wharf on the DLR. only 130m platform to platform. Then I'd think Canary Wharf to Heron Quays, which as the photo shows, isn't far at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:He...d_platform.jpg

but would you class these as mainline/standard rail or tram/monorail??? :

I've already said that one on the previous page. :lol:

good point...but arnt we forgetting one section of line that closed in 2007 and will be re emerging next year...

From East London Line to London Overground...So From Metro To Mainline...

How about Rotherhithe to Canada Water? you certainly could see the platforms of Canada Water from Rotherhithe...

anthony263

Established Member
Another one for the coryton branch would be coryton to whitchurch which are so close that you can photograph a train from either of them from the otehr station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Looking at a map of Newhaven ( link ) the two stations seem very close together. Which leads me to ask, what are the two closest stations on the same line in the UK? Where I define 'same line' to mean you can get on a scheduled service at one station and get off it at the next.

I'd have thought Newhaven Harbour and Newhaven Marine are even closer - Although I couldn't say when the last scheduled train to Marine was !

jwos

They're probably not record-holders, but Garforth - East Garforth and Penge West - Anerley are both pretty close neighbours.

Also, High St and Market St were very close together indeed on the Metrolink before High St was replaced by an extra platform at Market St. Both were on the same line, but one-way only in opposite directions.

Hmmmm... Not sure if that'd count or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.