• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is a Continent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I know it sounds simple or rather silly, but I've seriously been struggling to find any scientific and solid reasoning at all behind the concept. And the number of continents taught in schools vary around the World from 5 as my Greek sister in-law got told, upto 7 that my first map said. So it appears to be based purely on education, but that isn't right, there must be some criteria?

I'm hoping I can get some answers to my unanswered questions that Google Search hasn't helped with, and have been annoying me.
1, how many Subcontinents are they other than India?
2, why is Australia a continent but Greenland (biggest island) isn't, is it just size?
3, why are India and Arabia part of Asia despite being on seperate plates and surrounded by tall mountains but Europe's smaller Urals are a continental border despite Europe sharing the same plate with Asia?
4, are continents, for example Europe, just the mainland (continental Europe) or do they really include far away islands like Iceland as in football?
5, is it Australia, Australasia or Oceanica that's the continent south of Indonesia as there's conflicting information?
6, is Eurasia the nearest continent or is it Europe?

Sorry in advance if this question is in the wrong place.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheNewNo2

I know it sounds simple or rather silly, but I've seriously been struggling to find any scientific and solid reasoning at all behind the concept. And the number of continents taught in schools vary around the World from 5 as my Greek sister in-law got told, upto 7 that my first map said. So it appears to be based purely on education, but that isn't right, there must be some criteria?

I'm hoping I can get some answers to my unanswered questions that Google Search hasn't helped with, and have been annoying me.
2, why is Australia a continent but Greenland (biggest island) isn't, is it just size?
3, why are India and Arabia part of Asia despite being on seperate plates and surrounded by tall mountains but Europe's smaller Urals are a continental border despite Europe sharing the same plate with Asia?
4, are continents, for example Europe, just the mainland (continental Europe) or do they really include far away islands like Iceland as in football?
5, is it Australia, Australasia or Oceanica that's the continent south of Indonesia as there's conflicting information?

Thanks.

Wikipedia said:
A continent is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, with up to seven regions commonly regarded as continents. These are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

1. As there's no technical definition there's no hard and fast rule. The Arabian peninsula is one, North America can be considered one, as can Greenland.
2. Australia (the country) isn't a continent, Oceania (aka Australasia, aka Australia) is. This contains New Zealand and many other islands.
3. Because.
4. They include the islands (usually). Football is another matter.
5. Any of those are acceptable.
6. Yes.

AM9

Veteran Member

Thanks.

I was taught that there were 7 continents which included the Arctic and Antartica, but as they didn't until recently have much economic significance, it could be justified to count just the five.
1. I think that as somebody has already said, the Arabian Peninsula is sometimes referred to as a subcontinent along with India as are North and South America, and occasionally Greenland is, (which would really be a sub-subcontinent).
Pangea was the most recent 'supercontinent' when everthing was joined as one landmass, and in that state, what are now the Arabian Peninsula and Greenland were effectively attached to Africa and Canada in very similar positions to where they currently are. India however was rotated and attached to the east coast of Africa boxing in Madagascar. So this is a true subcontinent.
2. Greenland is an Island which is far smaller than Oceania. When viewed on a globe or an equal-area map projection, (definitely not Mercator's Projection), its size can be better judged. See 1) above why it may not be considered geologically to be a subcontinent.
3. Europe was where all the discovery and work on global maps was done (once they realised that the earth wasn't flat) so it was the most important and deserved to be a continent. :)
4. Eurpoe as a geographical continent does include Iceland, Svalbard, Novaya Zemla and even the islands north of it. The politics of sport (business) and any other interests may choose whatever definition of a continent they wish. When I was in Iceland this year, it felt like Europe as much as Norway.
5. Australia isn't a continent, it is part of Oceania, which includes Pacific Islands as far east as French Polynesia, (further east than the Hawaii archipelago). Australia, with New Zealand, New Guinea and a few near islands make Australasia.
6. Eurasia is technically where we are (including Grimsby :)) but Eurpoe is the more conventional continental description.

Others may disagree with some or all of the above.

Domh245

Established Member
The 7 Continents I was taught are:
1) Europe
2) Asia
3) N America
4) S America
5) Oceania
6) Africa
7) Antarctica

MCR247

Established Member
I personally believe that Asia and Europe should be considered one continent and it is only because of cultral differences that they have come to be regarded as separate continents.

What about Africa then?

alxndr

Established Member
The 7 Continents I was taught are:
1) Europe
2) Asia
3) N America
4) S America
5) Oceania
6) Africa
7) Antarctica

Snap. I was never even aware there was any debate on the matter until today.

What really grinds my gears is people regarding Africa as a country rather than a continent comprising of 54 separate countries.

Cambus731

Although Africa is connected to Asia or Eurasia by an isthmus, it is quite clearly is a distinctive landmass. Same applies to the two Americas.
Interestingly enough when the Panama isthmus was formed it had a tremendous effect on the climate of the planet as up until that point the warmer waters of the Pacific were able to mix with the cooler Atlantic.
Of course Africa won't remain a separate landmass as it is gradually moving northwards and is slowly colliding with Europe. This process will create a mountain range where the Mediterranean sea currently resides.

AM9

Veteran Member
Snap. I was never even aware there was any debate on the matter until today.

What really grinds my gears is people regarding Africa as a country rather than a continent comprising of 54 separate countries.

That's just ignorance, they didn't know that the map of Africa once had lots of pink on it. Those who call it a country probably think that all Africans are the same, except the white ones. :|

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Although Africa is connected to Asia or Eurasia by an isthmus, it is quite clearly is a distinctive landmass. Same applies to the two Americas.
Interestingly enough when the Panama isthmus was formed it had a tremendous effect on the climate of the planet as up until that point the warmer waters of the Pacific were able to mix with the cooler Atlantic.
Of course Africa won't remain a separate landmass as it is gradually moving northwards and is slowly colliding with Europe. This process will create a mountain range where the Mediterranean sea currently resides.

I seem to recall that Suez Canal is at sea level so Africa is technically a separate landmass from Asia. Whereas the Panama Canal has locks so North and South America are still a single landmass. However, isn't there a plan to dig a new Panama canal at sea level?

Clip

Established Member
I seem to recall that Suez Canal is at sea level so Africa is technically a separate landmass from Asia. Whereas the Panama Canal has locks so North and South America are still a single landmass. However, isn't there a plan to dig a new Panama canal at sea level?

I thought they were just going to widen it even further?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

1. As there's no technical definition there's no hard and fast rule. The Arabian peninsula is one, North America can be considered one, as can Greenland.
2. Australia (the country) isn't a continent, Oceania (aka Australasia, aka Australia) is. This contains New Zealand and many other islands.
3. Because.
4. They include the islands (usually). Football is another matter.
5. Any of those are acceptable.
6. Yes.

The answer to 3 is historic (and based on the Greeks, who divided things into what were east and west of themselves. However, I think a good, healthy dose of Euro-centrism has kept the arbitrary distinction popular. Europe is apparently special, you see...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

There is a 4 continent model:

1) Afro-Eurasia
2) America
3) Australia
4) Antarctica

In reality, 'continent' is not well-defined as a word and it's all pretty arbitrary.

TheEdge

Established Member
Australia is an odd one. Its not an island but its not a continent either. The continent itself is Oceania but Australia is large enough to be a continental landmass. Hence why its never noted as the biggest island, being significantly bigger than Greenland.

As has been pointed out the continental models are incredibly arbitrary, depending on which definition used there are as few as 3 or as many as 7. For a far more "defined" way to break up the Earth's crust go to tectonic plates. Although even then you can get very confused. You can start with the normal plates at sit at between 8 and 10 (Nazca and Somali plate are often left out of the simple maps), 18 if you include the microplates and then another 50 or so really small plates. Then there are ancient cratons which are not tectonic plates in their own right but sometimes are the remains of ancient plates. And my personal favourite plate, the Farallon plate which has been mapped despite being an ancient oceanic plate which is now entirely subducted and within the mantle.

Geology is fun! (TheEdge BSc Physical Geography)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Australia is an odd one. Its not an island but its not a continent either. The continent itself is Oceania but Australia is large enough to be a continental landmass. Hence why its never noted as the biggest island, being significantly bigger than Greenland.

I agree, Australia is a bit of an oddball. Until fairly recently (geologically), we had the situation where it resided on the same tectonic plate as India, yet, since the majority of the plate is oceanic, the two regions were never regarded as being connected in any way.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Adopting the tectonic definition, I drove from America to Europe and back during a tour of Iceland.

SS4

Established Member
OP is not the only one who is unaware of what a continent is:

29-os_andy.png
: Really? Continents?

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Okay, this thread has helped me understand a bit better, thanks everyone, I was unsure at the response I'd get at first but it's all been very helpful. :)
It looks like there is not any criteria at the moment, and there's more variations than I throught with some saying the Arctic and Madagascar are continents and others saying Afro-Eurasia is one. Not to mention Paul's excellant comment!
The Australia problem is most interesting also, with it not a continent nor an island.

No definition seams to fit, the best so far is the Tetonic Plates which would cover the whole World nice and neatly but make some really odd coninents like the Cocos Plate, never mind the underground ones. I think it's not relevent since the term predate their discovery also. I'm just going to call all areas relatively large compared to their continents as Subcontinets and not bother with making clear boundaries since the continents are debateable anyway. So I'll add Scandinavia and Siberia etc if that's okay? I'll keep on using the more common 7 continent model though, just because it's most widely used.

I've just learned in an astronomy book by chance that there was a Dawes Continent on Mars but it was later renamed. So that's another one on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I sometimes wonder if a person with good bladder and bowel control could be described as being "continent"...:oops:

How long before someone mentions the mythical Colchester station announcer:

"Front 4 coaches to Harwich for the continent, rear 4 coaches to Frinton for the incontinent"

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The Arctic is in no way a continent - it's a floating lump of ice, no land!

I would of called it a solid ocean personally. But as others on here have said, landmass isn't the sole meaning of continent. Oceania is mostly the Pacific Ocean if you count that for example.
And it is solid, yes it's floating, but the land we are on is also floating on a huge laza ocean far below. And there's always Greenland, Baffin and other very big islands which have landmass.

One thing I don't get is the person who commented saying they were taught that the Arctic is a continent said there was 7 others on his list, I'm not sure which is missing?

AM9

Veteran Member
I would of called it a solid ocean personally. But as others on here have said, landmass isn't the sole meaning of continent. Oceania is mostly the Pacific Ocean if you count that for example.
And it is solid, yes it's floating, but the land we are on is also floating on a huge laza ocean far below. And there's always Greenland, Baffin and other very big islands which have landmass.

One thing I don't get is the person who commented saying they were taught that the Arctic is a continent said there was 7 others on his list, I'm not sure which is missing?

It may have been me. However, when I was at school, at the time, no nuclear submarines had proven that the Arctic had no land by passing underneath the ice!

TheEdge

Established Member

The Arctic is not a continent, its floating sea ice, there is no argument to that. You will find very little to no land in the high reaches of the Arctic.

The Australia/Oceania/Australasia "continent" is an odd one. Australia is a continental landmass, its far too big to be regarded as an island and it can be referred to as a continent in its own right. The Micronesian and Polynesian islands are not really continental at all, most are either coral atols or seamounts but are often grouped into Oceania for the sake of ease. Australasia is probably the closest thing to a normal continent in that area, that includes Australia, New Guinea, New Zealand and the closer pacific islands that are on the continental shelf.

Continents don't just stop at the seaside, they include the continental shelf, and that can go several hundred miles out to sea before you reach the continental slope and eventually the abyssal plain of true ocean. Thats why there are what appear to be oceanic islands that are actually part of a continent. But even then it doesn't make it cut and dry. In the last paragraph I defined New Zealand as part of Australasia but by the continental shelf model it isn't. New Zealand is actually the highest mountain tops of the almost entirely submerged continent of Zealandia and it is actually separate of the Australasian continental shelf.

There is no debate to should Australia be an island or should Greenland be a continent, their size difference is massive. There is no landmass that sits between them in size but Australia is 7.6 million km2 whereas is 2.1 million km2, no contest at all.

D6975

Established Member
I thought they were just going to widen it even further?
Yes, there's a standard called panamax, which as the name suggests is the spec for the largest ship that can pass through the canal. Larger ships going the long way round have proved to now be more economical, taking business away from the canal, so they're making it wider.

DaleCooper

Established Member
There is no debate to should Australia be an island or should Greenland be a continent, their size difference is massive. There is no landmass that sits between them in size but Australia is 7.6 million km2 whereas is 2.1 million km2, no contest at all.

People get misled by map projections such as Mercator's which exaggerate areas near the poles at the expense of those nearer the equator.

Status
Not open for further replies.