• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the best Free Virus Checker & Firewall Programme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petethetim

Just Thought I would Currie the Panels opinion so to speak on these matters.

What would be your best free Virus Checker & best free Fire Wall & by free I mean free ,not something that is free for a limited number of days or something that is made free by preforming some illegal activity such as patching or cracking.

I have been using AVG for free on the virus side & Zone Alarm on the Firewall end ,but now in light of my current problems I am wondering if they are worth their salt.

All opinions suggestions & recommendations will be as always greatly appreciated ....Oh & one more thing Chaps! please lets not drift of topic

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

*checks*

Nope, didn't drift off topic.

Mac OS X doesn't require a virus checker as there are close to nil virii for OS X. Built in firewall is based on iptables too so is fooking awesome.

Daniel

Established Member
Not sure about firewalls, but AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for Anti-virus obviously, and Ad-Aware SE for spyware.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And the only existing viruses for Mac OS X require user interaction so if your not stupid, no viruses! lol

petethetim

Not sure about firewalls, but AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for Anti-virus obviously, and Ad-Aware SE for spyware.
And the only existing viruses for Mac OS X require user interaction so if your not stupid, no viruses! lol

Thanks Daniel

I use Spy ware Terminator Which can be set up as a virus checker also apparently But I used to value AVG & zone alarm ,but have read dubious things about both in recent PC mags & even some Newspapers ,this coupled with my own experience I started questioning "just how reliable they were ?"

Daniel

Established Member
Thanks Daniel

I use Spy ware Terminator Which can be set up as a virus checker also apparently But I used to value AVG & zone alarm ,but have read dubious things about both in recent PC mags & even some Newspapers ,this coupled with my own experience I started questioning "just how reliable they were ?"

I trust AVG, but saying that I have Norton. However, I have heard of it picking up files from other Anti-Virus programs as viruses, (such as the Hitman Pro config files).

T

Tom

You shouldn't really ever have more than 1 antivirus on and running on your computer ... really can mess up the OS subsystem.

Daniel

Established Member
Hitman Pro is basically "the ultimate anti-spyware" program, but AVG Anti-Virus picks it up.

mrcheek

Established Member
It isnt free, but the best anti-virus software I have ever had is Panda. Way better than Norton or McAfee, and you should be able to pick up a copy of Panda on eBay for about £2-3. Which is pretty good value.

petethetim

You shouldn't really ever have more than 1 antivirus on and running on your computer ... really can mess up the OS subsystem.

I think that is taken as read Tom , hence my reason for not setting up the anti-V end of Spy ware Terminator ,as I had imagined it would conflict with AVG
It isnt free, but the best anti-virus software I have ever had is Panda. Way better than Norton or McAfee, and you should be able to pick up a copy of Panda on eBay for about £2-3. Which is pretty good value.

I had it once & It claimed to be free for a year but it did my head in with pop ups every time you let it check for its updates , It had come with a Scanmaker Scanner I bought from QVC Needless to say, I did not even see the so called "FREE YEAR OUT" & hey Mate anythings gotta be better than Norton or McAfee.;)

I agree you can pick some good software bargains up on EBAY Just yesterday I got a full version of Corel'sPSP XI for under £18 & that inc delivery from Canada
Just came accross this EBAY
Any suggestions
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AA-ANTI-VIRUS...oryZ3805QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

D306

Established Member
AVG Free virus, you can use for as long as you want. AVG Spyware, you can have free for 30 days, then you must register it so you can get the full program. I have got AVG Pro, as it's a reliable Virus scanner.

Daniel

Established Member
I believe the only main difference is that it can act as a firewall and monitor what your doing, when the free version only scans when you tell it too. Not sure though, as I have never purchased the full version.

Bonemaster

Check what your isp offers often for a package that costs a couple of quid extra a month over a budget ISP you cab get a antivirus software included in the price

Tom B

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, viruses is the proper plural.

The best virus checker is yourself. You can have top notch security but if an idiotic user decides to do something stupid you'd still get a virus.

Dave A

Tom B

Established Member
I can't believe people actually would buy that. It is quite obviously a load of rubbish.

petethetim

I can't believe people actually would buy that. It is quite obviously a load of rubbish.

On the plus side the trader has almost 4,000 trades with 100% + feedback surely if it was so hopeless someone would bad mouth him just for the sheer hell of it.
I also agree with the comment
You can have top notch security but if an idiotic user decides to do something stupid you'd still get a virus
But that is not what happened to me I would not open unsolicited emails or THE LOOK AT THIS PICTURE TYPE THINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.